Beretta 2017 Autocross Spec D-prepared

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
Amateur

Re: My Beretta

Post by Amateur »

Good Morrow Bluffkins! I finally did the cut-outs for the headlights thanks to the awesome power that is a dremel tool. Next step is to finish the headlight bezel cutouts (their just sitting in there for now) and most likely throw in some round headlights like some hella low beam/high beam combo or some lights from a BMW e30. I have a sketch of a general design look, but other than that, I'm winging it as I go. After that, stage 3 is doing the grill and paint.

Wanako

Post by Wanako »

I like where this is going! 8)

Amateur

Post by Amateur »

I did the primer coat today on the fascia. To break down what's going on in the picture, I cut some plexiglass to be used as inserts for the headlight cutouts. Its blue because that's the wrapping they covered by to protect it from scratching. They are just sitting in there and tomorrow, I'll take a heat gun and mold/mount them so them can be flush with the fascia to retain the "Aeroretta" look. The fascia will be a high gloss black and so I was thinking of tinting the plexiglass black to make the fascia look one piece while still retaining nighttime driving functionality. The fascia is distorted in the pic because a) i haven't mounted it yet and b) It's meant to sit one the headlights and grill (skeletal support), which is off right now. I cut off air flow to the radiator with this, but it gets enough with the lower air damn and the removed fog light gaps combo.

Seeing how this cars real purpose is autocross (not some crazy car show or even a daily driver), I figure I'll make "grill" vinyl prints to put on the Aeroretta just like the pic below.

If a sunfire fascia on a beretta can give the engine enough airflow, then I have noting to worry about-

Amateur

Post by Amateur »

knocked out the paint job and calling it a day today. tomorrow I'll take care of the plexiglass molding and fascia mounting.

Amateur

Post by Amateur »

Straight from my mad lab, I bring you the Aeroretta version 2. The original wasn't up to par with what I was looking for, so I started from scratch and here's where it's at today. I took a saturn SC1 front fascia and mounted on the Beretta. It surprisingly went on easily and is flush with the hood. Had to make some incisions because the 'retta is about 3 inches too fat on each side. Now from here I'll sketch up some possible designs of where I'm going with this-

2.2H8TA

Re: AERORETTA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

Now it looks like a friggin saturn! I'm not hatin' on your project, but I think it looked better the first time. Maybe it'll improve though, I like your ambition man, but try and somehow make it NOT look like a saturn PLEASE!

1994 AQUA ZED
Amateur

Post by Amateur »

Now it looks like a friggin saturn! I'm not hatin' on your project, but I think it looked better the first time. Maybe it'll improve though, I like your ambition man, but try and somehow make it NOT look like a saturn PLEASE!
I'm glad we're on the same page, If I wanted a car that looked like a Saturn, I would have bought one. :D
With my craptacular rendering skills consisting of paint/photoshop, I bring you the New Aeroretta concept. Notice the "Aero-ness!"
Anyways, the headlight covers will again be plexiglass with a black tint and obviously the front will be painted to match the medium adriatic blue color.

Wanako

Post by Wanako »

nice. nice!

OT - hey you're in IL?? I thought you lived near Vegas?

Amateur

Post by Amateur »

OT - hey you're in IL?? I thought you lived near Vegas?
I did. I lived in Vegas for a semester of college to try out "new and exotic places." Vegas is great and all, but after awhile the novelty wears off and you just become another local and settle into a normal lifestyle (of drinking, gambling and doing random strippers each day, every day!!! jk) just like anywhere else. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt and made the move to go back to Illinois. I have lived in Illinois for 18 yrs of my life (Born in Chicago). Lived in Camp Pendleton, California for the next 4 yrs minus the whole 7 months in Afghanistan and another 7 months on a carrier (Marines). Lived in Las Vegas for a semester of college (College of Southern Nevada). Now Live back in Illinois for MOAR COLLEGE! (????? still waiting on transcripts to apply to one for fall semester). I pretty much wander around. I don't know what I'm doing with my life or where I'll end up next, but that's the great part about it if you ask me. 8)

ShaneLT(ShaneZ26)

Post by ShaneLT(ShaneZ26) »

I saw on car domain someone put a grand am front enter on a Beretta but I can't find the pic.

beretta

Post by beretta »

Want to come help me work on my car ? lol. nice skills and patience to do that sort of thing. I fiberglassed the dash in my 88 and that took alot of time and patience but to do that sort of thing on the body and make it look like its supposed to be there thats some nice work.

Also... Can i have your mirrors PLEASE.. haha good try though right ?

I have a 88 base and recent 96 Z26. i have been driving the z for a month or so now and just hopped in the 88 the other day and went for a drive.. the handling in it feels unsafe with the amount of body roll and the breaking compared to the Z, i need to look into upgrading the 88 to newer style suspension.

Amateur

Post by Amateur »

Thanks, I aim to please. Unfortunately the mirrors are sticking on the car, got those for $25 w/ shipping from ebay (what a steal).
I have a 88 base and recent 96 Z26. i have been driving the z for a month or so now and just hopped in the 88 the other day and went for a drive.. the handling in it feels unsafe with the amount of body roll and the breaking compared to the Z, i need to look into upgrading the 88 to newer style suspension.
I saw that Z of yours, looks good in my opinion. That base of yours sounds bad. Maybe just some new struts and shocks would do the trick. Have they ever been changed before on your car because that can make your car ride and steer like marshmallows after awhile. It should be good to go after that but if it's not to your liking, you can mitigate the body roll some more through lowering springs that are slightly stiffer and lowers the center of gravity a little bit. I got Sprint lowering springs for about $120 w/ shipping that have yet to be put on the car since I'm saving up the money right now to buy the whole KYB GR-2/gas-a-just strut/shock combo. I'd even throw a front strut tower brace from a cavalier on that beretta of yours, this metal rod does wonders for steering feel, giving a more taut feel.

As for the brakes, the beretta never was known to have "great" brakes or even "good," just enough to get the job done if that job is daily driver.You can do the whole F-body upgrade if you're really set on it but I passed on it because I'm molding the Aeroretta for autocross. My car has the 2.2L which doesn't produce the gobs of torque the V6 has so I'm keeping my rotational mass/ unsprung weight as low as possible. I'm running just 15" rims and and keeping the brakes the same minus an upgrade to slotted/cross-drilled rotors and better brake pads. I would like to do the neon-rear disc swap, but one thing at time. You can even go further with sway bars and polyurethane bushings. What I'm trying to say is that there's alot of options out there man.

beretta

Post by beretta »

the 88, has a v6 and i put springs onto the stock struts from a 91 cavy that my engine come out of and rides fine and steers fine, it just feels very very different from the Z26 suspension,the Z has Monro shocks and struts, rides way stiffer and handles like a dream. and the Z has anti lock were as the 88 does not so the stopping feels 10 times better. i done a brake test tonight from 100 KM and stomped the brakes to see how fast it stops, didnt lock up 1 tire at all stayed perfectly straight and stopped in went felt like 15 feet.

Go drive around in a newer one for a while then hop into a pre 90's and feel the difference lol. feels scary LOL, im addicted to the Z now, i have drove the 88 like once in the last 3 weeks, i maybe take it to the shop soon and work on it in my spare time and get my Z kit put onto it and get new bushings and what not and maybe some lowering springs.

Id love to lower my 96 i think it would look sweet. but right now my extra money will be going into a 3400 swap before i do anything else, my cousin has the engine sitting there waiting for me to pick it up cant wait to get that in.

Amateur

Post by Amateur »

So I've done the fiberglassing and have all week to work the bondo and sand it silky smooth. Slowing but surely it's taking form.

beretta

Post by beretta »

will this make the top speed higher ? lol