Beretta 2017 Autocross Spec D-prepared

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
themixer

Re: Chevy Beretta FF

Post by themixer »

that looks great! smart choice getting an entire engine!

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

That is clean. Man that is one hell of a resonator on that thing.

keep'em flying!
Amateur

Post by Amateur »

Took out the motor today. Definitely was a lot faster this go around.

Inspected the regulars, a little dirty but everything is wearing nicely. Plenty of thrashing life left.

Now here's old engine being an utter disappointment.

Money pit Beretta

Paracord? :o

keep'em flying!
Money pit Beretta

keep'em flying!
Amateur

Post by Amateur »

Paracord?
Yep, it's rated for 500lbs working load. That engine is actually pretty light. I can and have lifted the iron shortblock myself several times, and the aluminum head is definitely light, so the engine as a whole easily comes in at less than 500lbs. The rope is technically rated for a job like this and I'm using two so that splits the the load bearing on top of that. As long as the gear you're using is rated for the work you're doing, than I'm all in for using it.

BTW, that article is awesome. I saved it as a favorite awhile back, it definitely does a good job explaining the differences between the L4 through the years. I was thinking that an easy bump in compression is to use vortec 2200 pistons on a 2.2, but without anything being forged, would probably blow up. I think that would put the comp ratio at 12:1 roughly lol.

Money pit Beretta

Been meaning to buy some paracord for some time now. Not sure how I'd use it. Dang good stuff though.

Yeah thought you already had read all that and would have been shocked if you didn't. They also have a nice write up on the early V6. Oh well, it was posted just incase you were to busy and didn't know of it.

keep'em flying!
themixer

Post by themixer »

motor in yet?!!!! hopefully you make it to berettafest this year with your beretta

Amateur

Post by Amateur »

I'm about 90% done with the swap. Progress is slow because life always finds a way...to get in the way. Anywho, I ran into a peculiar situation today where the outer brake pad on the D. side wouldn't seat right.

Passenger side was fine:

So I just went to town using my angle grinder to trim off material so my brakes can work as intended.

All good. My rotors look like they were pulled from the Titanic:

Also going along the theme of Operation Superthrift, I got some cheap tires. The tires all around are garbage so I bought new ultra high performance ones. They are Sumitomo's HTR ZII 205/55R16s. According to tire rack independent testing, they only have marginally less dry traction than the Dunlop Direzza DZ102s. Other than that, everything is substantially lower (ie stability, hydroplane resistance, road noise etc). I bought one tire for $55 since it was an older manufacture date while the rest was $10 more per.
I also put the GTZ wheels I bought off of Mike like a year ago. Paint matching wheels? ain't nobody got money for that!

Amateur

Post by Amateur »

All done. Engine sounds really good! Put new tie rods all around and new endlinks:

oh, and I had a change of heart and repainted the whole car blue!

All it cost me was $32 in spray can supplies and a crapload of elbow grease. Also don't be fooled, for whatever reason it looks way better in photos that what it really is.

Money pit Beretta

Well that was a bit of a shock. Bit hard to wake up to. LOL needs to be darker to match the wheels.
What is your front camber? Got a bit too much positive on my car. NTB seems to think that is normal for Berettas as they have done that to both cars I've owned.

keep'em flying!
ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

FYI, there is a guy on Craigslist, located in Lemont Il. who has doors for sale at $95 bucks each.

Amateur

Post by Amateur »

Well that was a bit of a shock. Bit hard to wake up to. LOL needs to be darker to match the wheels.
What is your front camber? Got a bit too much positive on my car. NTB seems to think that is normal for Berettas as they have done that to both cars I've owned.
Off the top of my head, I have no clue. I just take it to get aligned and don't ask any questions. As long as tire wear is even and the car tracks straight, I'm happy. The suspension on these cars are very basic and the only complaint I have is the Macpherson struts gain negative camber with compression by design so some positive probably isn't so bad.
FYI, there is a guy on Craigslist, located in Lemont Il. who has doors for sale at $95 bucks each.
I know exactly who you are talking about. He used to have a black and a white z26 that he was parting out originally. He scrapped the cars and now has some parts left over that he pulled. The doors have power windows and I just want one's with manual cranks. Also my budget on this car for the year is at it's limit and so I'm probably going to roll with broken/dent door for now....uhhhh...it shows character?

Money pit Beretta

That is easy to understand now that you say that(gaining negative camber). Sure like the -3/4 in the rear that my car has, so more up front is ok with me.

keep'em flying!
DanteGTZ

Post by DanteGTZ »

Is the car ready to make the trek to Ocean City in a few weeks?????

1993 Quasar Quad4 GTZ - Project WTF

Previous Berettas: 90 GT, 93 Quasar GTZ, 93 Garnet GTZ, 93 Aqua GT