1992 Quasar Beretta GTZ - Updated.

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
SuzukiGhostRider

Re: 1992 Quasar Beretta GTZ - Top end swap completed! Vid up

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

Problem hasn't appeared since the last incident now. Some time. Thanks for the advice Mike. And the comp.

Good to see you active again man. I hope you're well.

SuzukiGhostRider

Today was "new shocks and struts day" for the GTZ! Brand new Monroe Sensatrac's up front and brand new Monroe HD's in the rear. Front strut bearings, cups , mounts and rubber spring isolators as well as the springs all looked and felt good, so they went back in. You can see I cleaned up the front springs as well and you can now see the overspray on the passenger side spring from this car's repaint.

I also went "WTF! WOW!" when all items were installed. Fricking thing sits like 2" higher all around. Looks like a goddamn 4x4 now. :P Guess I'll go ahead and put my directionals back on it now. I BET you I won't need the wheel spacers anymore,lol. They were only needed before because of the perch plate on the struts. That's how much more clearance I have now with GOOD struts and shocks in. I lined the car out alignment wise as best I could by eye. I don't do alignments at my shop, so just like you mere mortals, I'm off to Max's or Doc's alignment shop in the AM.

Rides , handles and FEELS 300% better now. Yay! :D

Pics in the next post.

SuzukiGhostRider

SuzukiGhostRider

I should also note, between being busy and lack of wanting to do it, lol, I've had these struts sitting in my parts room for the better part of a year. :D

Oh, another side note. Interesting to me was the fact that the passenger side was the worst on this car. The pass. strut would actually spit fluid if you compressed it all the way (the old one of course) and the shock was basically completely collapsed. Driver's side strut and shock were definitely weak, but not like the passenger side. Strange......

Money pit Beretta

Re: 1992 Quasar Beretta GTZ - New Pics 09-18-11

Post by Money pit Beretta »

So how is the ride? Set up seems kind of strange to me. Caddy soft up front and almost truck in the rear? I'm sure that there is no squat when taking off the line hard.

keep'em flying!
SuzukiGhostRider

Nice and level actually. Looks high in the pics, but between night pics and driveway angle , it just looked off. It does sit a little higher, but no..... The ride is superb now. Superior handling is back ,nice and tight and stiff. Ride is as cushy as a GTZ gets, they are meant to ride stiff with the suspension they're tasked with.

Quite happy overall! :D

SuzukiGhostRider

Wash, claybar, wax, interior detail today. Couple pics. :D

tvc3-gtz

Post by tvc3-gtz »

AMAZING PICS... LOVE THAT COLOR AND LOVE THAT CAR!

Money pit Beretta

Cool man. Sounds like you found a good combo there. I too like the new shots. Looks like a nice place to live, less the noisy tailed snakes that is. I have a gold medal in the down hill run from my first meeting with one.

keep'em flying!
SuzukiGhostRider

Money pit Beretta wrote:Cool man. Sounds like you found a good combo there. I too like the new shots. Looks like a nice place to live, less the noisy tailed snakes that is. I have a gold medal in the down hill run from my first meeting with one.
Lol. The "gold medal run" comment cracked me and the woman up. She said to tell you she understands that instinct! :D

Yeah, the suspension is settling in nicely after a day or so of being on. I like it.

SuzukiGhostRider

tvc3-gtz wrote:AMAZING PICS... LOVE THAT COLOR AND LOVE THAT CAR!
Thanks man. I tried to find good spots for the pics. And it's always a labor of love to detail a car.... :P

uncle

Post by uncle »

Very nice SGR.

1990 GTZ Quad 4 HO
Money pit Beretta

Great to hear SGR and wife. Lets just say it's a healthy fear. Once I know it won't hurt me I can hold them. As for the ones that can that's another story. But I once ran from a king snake. Lucky for me it was going the other way, it was much faster than I was. I know they are harmless, but I didn't have the time to see what it was.
It's in the genes (lol)... my grandfather was chased by blue racer through two corn fields.

keep'em flying!
SuzukiGhostRider

Well.... They fucked the alignment up. I noticed a slight pull to the left and I looked at my wheels closely today. When the passenger side wheel is lined up, the driver's is toed out a tad. Time to head back to the alignment shop and see how good their work guarantee is.

SuzukiGhostRider

I was looking back to February when I got this car and sort of adding things up. I went from the first two pics in as received condition to the last two pics as it sits now. Car didn't run, interior was nasty, exterior was nasty. Shocks/struts were shot, tires were shot, brakes were shot, cooling system was FUBAR, I rebuilt the top end of the motor, and much,much more.

I've spent a ton of hours and probably in the neighborhood of $2700-$3000 on this car and I still have to paint it, and do a few odds and ends.

I also want to get the front seats reupholstered and , by some miracle of God, find an unwarped blue dash for it. I also need to still do the new carpet and some brand new tires. So, I figure WITHOUT the complete rebuild (built motor instead of stock) I may do this winter, I'm looking at dropping another $4k before I consider the car "done", even though, they're NEVER done... :P

Still, it's a FAR cry from the condition I got it in. I love my car. :D