1992 Quasar Beretta GTZ - Updated.

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
Money pit Beretta

Re: 1992 Quasar Beretta GTZ

Post by Money pit Beretta »

As said I don't remember where I got mine. You will have to email them to see if they have it.
Lost my old hard drive so I can't look up the emails that I got. I don't know if I have anything on paper. May have thrown everything out after I lost the 90. Again I paid 450 for a new one. Some dealers still have old parts in stock. They are your best bet, an old one may split at the seam just like the one you have. Yes I know that they were discontinued, they were when I was looking.
I have been having a problem with my HVAC control. I'll try to locate where the line goes in. Thought it was the motor and was thinking it was the valve.
Annoying? I live with that crap everyday. Too much stuff that all the other owners didn't take care of. EGR and the blower motor were the only things new on my 95 with 140K when I got it. Total BS. Tired of this fight........still pushing to win. Hang in there SGR!

keep'em flying!
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

I threw out my old 90 tank and swapped in the (brand new) metal 88 tank into my GTZ. Also slapped in a W255 pump, new straps... Only down fall is less mile to the tank, but it'sa Q4........ It'll go farther than the V6's with the bigger tank!

_________
-------------
felixGTU

Post by felixGTU »

I am loving those blue seats even if they are dirty. Can't wait to get my hands on the blue seats. I am jealous. LOL.

Chevrolet Beretta GTU/GT
SuzukiGhostRider

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

Afaik , and correct me if I'm wrong here, but ALL the Beretta tanks from '90 up are the exact same size and shape are they not? If so, I'll just swap to an newer tank. Pumps should clip in the same and all I would think..... Someone give me the lowdown.

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Pump configuration changed somewhere in 94 to 96.

_________
-------------
SuzukiGhostRider

So, you're saying I should go to the older tank design? You switched yours and you should have had the plastic tank exactly like mine. Any modifications needed? Are the straps the same, pump mounting lines, etc? Thanks for the advice. Continue, please.

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

I just used the 88 sending unit in the 88 tank with the 255l pump and when I replaced the straps I used one 90 strap and one 88 strap.... I could have used both 88 straps, but I later found that out rummaging through part numbers. The exhaust fit fine and actually created more room... I have a non factory exhaust. I also used the filler hose from the metal tank going to the 90 filler next. You don't need to swap the whole filler neck assembly, just the lower hose that connects to the tank.

_________
-------------
SuzukiGhostRider

Hmm... why the sending unit swap? Because of the gallon difference between tanks only or was there a clearance issue in tank? I was thinking I'd just swap to a new tank either older or newer and swap my sending unit, pump and all as one unit. The only new difference being the tank in other words.

Sorry no pics today folks. I didn't even open my shop today. Was too damn cold. Was below zero (WELL below zero) until Noon, and then just BARELY above zero. Right now it's -25 below 0 here and it's gonna get almost -40 below before morning. We're not due to come above 0 again until 1 PM tomorrow. Looks like the arctic snap will abate then. THEN I will get pics or maybe day after. Just too damn COLD! Sorry people.

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

The sending unit will not physically adapt to the other tank due to sizing differences. Also, IF it did fit the tank ring, it would not be at the proper height in the tank. You are kind of stuck either using the whole assembly from one or the other. The only thing that will swap is the pump itself though. So if you wanted to reuse the current pump in the current tank, you can. HTH.

_________
-------------
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I tried swapping to a plastic tank when I realized mine was leaking... I then found out about the exhaust clearance issues so I scrapped the idea and used the metal tank. I was using a complete sending unit from the plastic tank too, there is no way to interchange those two items, so if you want the newest style you need the matching pickup to ensure its going to work right. IIRC the when swapping from plastic to metal though you will always clear the exhuast, but if your exhaust was made for the metal tank then you will not be able to swap in the plastic one since it wont clear... I just had a system bent so I wasnt about to cut it up to make a plastic tank fit.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Yea I've done the metal to plastic and plastic to metal on a handful of L bodies. Its pretty simple now lol.

_________
-------------
90GTZHO

Post by 90GTZHO »

So is the only real benefit to changing to the metal tank is more clearance for the exhaust or are there other benefits to it?

Geoff
95 Base V6: Current Project; Work In Progress
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

slightly bigger IIRC... and maybe on the stock tank the baffles are better, I know the aftermarket one is pretty crude and only has a tray to possibly prevent the pump from seeing low gas from a turn or whatnot... The original one has an entire plastic insert.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

The metal tank is iirc 13.6 gallons. The plastic is about 15.9 hence the exhaust interface.

_________
-------------
SuzukiGhostRider

Alright then thanks for the lowdown fellas. Looks like if I can't get an airtight fix on this tank I'll be swapping to the older style tank and sending unit. The straps ARE the same though correct? They look it. And what of the plugs for the pump/sending unit? I don't recall. Should be the same with the same style line connectors too , yes? I know the one line on mine is a true quick disconnect, like the kind you need the plastic QDC tools for.

Today's pics. Just pics of previous work. New blower motor, new radiator, new intake, and an engine bay shot. Didn't get pics of the brakes though.

Enjoy.