1992 Quasar Beretta GTZ - Updated.

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
SuzukiGhostRider

Re: 1992 Quasar Beretta GTZ

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

Ok, so I have more pics of installing the lights and quality difference of one installed and the other old one still in. Put it this way.... I've now got 80% clearer and better lighting. These "new" headlights I was trying to sell at one time, have CLEAR lenses, they are like new. Right oem lights and style , just SOOOOOO much clearer. I can actually look into the headlight housing without trying through the lens on the now installed headlights. The old ones were damn near opaque they were so cloudy. MUCH more satisified and a much better look too. Also re-aimed the headlights.

Just the one pic. I'm tired. I may put the others up tomorrow. The passenger side "old" light was pretty busted up. Worse than I thought. Came apart in my hands, literally, once removed....

90GTZHO

Post by 90GTZHO »

T-stats arent that bad to do on these cars. Oh wait, nevermind, you still have the tb coolant lines hooked up dont you? lol

Geoff
95 Base V6: Current Project; Work In Progress
tvc3-gtz

Post by tvc3-gtz »

nice gtz, i'll have to put up some pics of mine again soon.. mine are outdated.. I have a q4 garnett retta

ronaconda

Post by ronaconda »

When you find solid fillers, I'm interested in your clear set it they are it good condition!!!

speedy

Post by speedy »

90GTZHO wrote:T-stats arent that bad to do on these cars. Oh wait, nevermind, you still have the tb coolant lines hooked up dont you? lol
t-stats are easy to do 90 and 91 style, not sure if it changed in 92 or 93 to the rear under the water pump, but that's a pain to get to to clean the surface properly, and every time i did the dam thing, it would never seal the first time and I'd have to do it again, its hard to get the pipe up in there without bumping it on the drive shaft or cross member or sway bar or anything the hell else, lol, and they don't make a "gasket" you have to use silicone. its not hard, its just tricky and can become a pita. this be why i changed the my tstat location from the 94 style to the 90 style, much easier to mess with. :wink:

also sgr, if it is set up under the water pump, change it, if ya need any info on what i did or how i did it, let me know, its very simple and only costs about $30 to relocate it to a much more convenient place.

and i dont know if 92's came with tb coolent lines??? i know the 90's certainly did, i also know the 94's did not.

1991 beretta GTZ- 2.3l w41 cams, ported 086 head with a 3 angle valve job, fidanza flywheel with exedy racing clutch, 3.94fdr from and scx, so much more..
90GTZHO

Post by 90GTZHO »

94 is the year they changed to the t-stat down low. 90-93 they were all in the head. I still to this day cant figure out why GM moved it down there :fool:

Geoff
SuzukiGhostRider

Correct , '94 is the year they moved the t-stat to the lower pipe coming off of the water pump. Mine is up top and yes, it has the TB coolant lines hooked up still. I spotted my tinted fillers at the yard today while picking up the replacement water outlet and TB coolant feed line.

So, today, I got the "new" water outlet housing in (along with swapping over my CTS and Coolant Temp Sender) with very little incident. Then noticed the feed line for the coolant TB lines was leaking. crap.... So back off to the yard to get a replacement as the one on the car had already been patched and VERY poorly. So , I just put a NICE line on. I would normally just plug off the TB coolant lines but with the WELL below sub-zero weather we've had this winter, I figured it just might be a good plan to leave them on.

All seems well, car opens and closes the t-stat now exactly as it should , and while the heat was kickin' before, it DEFINITELY blows hotter than hell now! WOW!

As I said though, spotted what appears to be a VERY NICE set of tinted fillers at the yard today. Going back for them tomorrow. After I get them my clears will be up for grabs. Ron, someone else has already PM'd me about my clear fillers. If that person doesn't come through, you have 2nd dibs bro. :D

I didn't take any pics yet. Tomorrow maybe. I was just glad to get the damn thing fixed today.... Normally these T-stats aren't TOO bad, but yes with the TB coolant lines hooked up, shoddy patchwork done previously, and an obviously weakened water outlet housing snapping, it can turn into a bitch fast..... More jury rigging straightened out and fixed the CORRECT way now. On to the next issue....

Glad to have her running. Was driving an '00 Cadillac DeVille while my Burrito sat in the shop overnight and while that IS a very nice car it's just not a Quasar GTZ now is it? :D

SuzukiGhostRider

So, more good news. Already knew it was the outer timing cover leaking oil. Today I pulled the inner splash guard in the wheel well at the shop on the lift and got an eye level look at the lower timing cover. Took a second to spot the source through the grime and oil, but then once I did I was ecstatic! I wish ALL this car's problems were so easily solved. Quad owners who have worked on their timing will know immediately of what I speak. There are two "nipples" to guide the outer cover into the correct place when reinstalling. The gasket goes over these as well. WELL.... The GASKET was fine, but the back nipple (firewall side) was BARELY hooked by the cover causing a 1/4 inch or more gap about 1 1/2 inches top to bottom. Gently tapped the cover back in place with a flat punch and rubber mallet and INSTANT oil leak cure. That cured the BIG oil leak and 95% of the cars oil leaking. The other 5% is a VERY minor drip from the (old as hell looking) OPSU. So, victory and at a cost of ZERO dollars. Still amazes me what such a small gap can let through. That side of the motor (timing cover side) and that inner wheel, control arm, subframe, etc was COATED in oil both fresh and old. Glad that's fixed. Nary a drop leaking over there now. :D :D :D

Pic of said leaking point. As I said Quad owners will immediately recognize what I'm referring to. This is after I fixed it and I have an LED light on it , took pic with cell, sorry for poor quality.

Also fixed the only light that was inoperable. The right rear red side marker wasn't working. Already knew why. I had seen the busted wire previously when under the car. Just actually remembered to fix it this time while I had it up on the lift and was under it anyhow! :P

So, things are progressing. I'm trying to smoothly and fairly quickly get her back to her desired running condition and desired cleanly state, both outside/inside AND under the hood.

beretta

Post by beretta »

haha, the interior looks like my friends car.. he got pulled over last night and he couldnt find his ownership or insurance its was prob berried on his floor somewhere i had to pick him up and drive him home and take his gf to get the car lol.

nice find though. theres a z26 forsale locally here for 600 bucks if only i had the cash id go offer them 400 and bring it home i think its a 95. and v6.

90GTZHO

Post by 90GTZHO »

Yeah Mike, my car has those guide nipples on the inside of the cover, vs the outside like the second design covers/housings have them. Ive never had any issues with them, but then again, it must be a 92-94 deal. Good to hear you got the leak fixed, theres nothing worse than oil leaks to drive you nuts.

And correct me if im wrong, but why does the car have the larger crank pulley on it?

Geoff
SuzukiGhostRider

Larger crank pulley? I'm reasonably certain the timing chain has been done, and a sneaking suspicion and a few hints point to the headgasket having been done in the recent past as well......

As to the guide nipples ,they SHOULDN'T cause issue, except with inexperienced and/or moronic/incapable "mechanics",lol. I get a little frustrated sometimes with some of the half ass work I've fixed on this car. The motor and trans are healthy as hell ,but it's the little "details" like this cover , and the t-stat housing , and the TB poorly patched coolant feed line, backwards mounted directionals, etc, etc, etc that just piss you off. I just don't think people that do that to cars should be allowed to OWN THEM...

I've got her about 80% back to RIGHTEOUS though. Just need to get my new fuel tank in, my new OPSU in to stop that other piddly oil leak, gonna put BOTH new window regulator/motors in, fix the blinker/brights MFS (Multi-Function Switch) , do a DEEP engine detail, get my body work done and except for tint and brand new tires I should be good to go!

On the tire note, if anyone has a liking for the Falken Ziex ZE-512's you'd better buy a full set SOON! They're officially discontinued and the only supplier that will carry any more for a limited time is Discount Tire. The replacement to it the Falken Ziex ZE-912 is getting HORRIBLE reviews. Seems it's focused alot more on "road noise" and a lot less on HANDLING. Supposedly a horrid tire on wet AND dry conditions....

90GTZHO

Post by 90GTZHO »

Crank pulley on your motor, see how long the spokes are? Its a 6 1/4" pulley
Pulley on my car, notice the short spokes. Mines a 5 1/4" pulley.

You have a low output crank pulley on your car my friend. Which, i thought they didnt start doing that putting those on HO motors till after 93? But just in case your curious, i have a spare HO crank pulley ill see ya when you come out ;) Only been installed once and removed once :D

Geoff
ronaconda

Post by ronaconda »

Geoff,
The Sunturd that i used to work on had the 2.4 in it and had that same larger pulley on it...however it was much later...its a 97.

Robert 89gt

Post by Robert 89gt »

Sorry to hear about the maintance issues with the car.Look at it this way my car doesn't leak any oil and everything works.And i do mean everything and im still dumping money into it.Maybe i need help.LOL.....Just give it time you will get it fixed up again.

SuzukiGhostRider

Thanks Robert, I know these cars tend to be money pits. I just hate seeing half assed work on any car. So I have to fix it right.... :D

Geoff, I hadn't really paid attention until you mentioned it. I'll check it out later today.