1996 Mr.Pink

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Re: 1996 Mr.Pink

Post by heavywoody »

Yeah, I'm not in engine-building mode yet...

I'm going to be super-pissed if there is a widespread problem and it's not taken care of.

If there was a problem at the machine shop, they should cover the cost of correcting their mistake. If there was an issue with the design/drawing/dimensions (which I'm assuming Marc provided)... well... sucks to be him.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

heavywoody wrote:Yeah, I'm not in engine-building mode yet...

I'm going to be super-pissed if there is a widespread problem and it's not taken care of.

If there was a problem at the machine shop, they should cover the cost of correcting their mistake. If there was an issue with the design/drawing/dimensions (which I'm assuming Marc provided)... well... sucks to be him.
likewise ...

_________
-------------
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

[quote="3X00-Modified"]It wasn't that much material removed, but I'm hoping the filter caught it all... As far as the pump they are quite tough and I doubt that caused any issues.

Yes I know, it's just one of my main fears. Oil pump failure is number one and number two is coolant in the oil. :bad:

keep'em flying!
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Its not a lot of material loss to stretch it like that. I highly doubt there will be any oil pump issues.

Super bummer though. Something is up. I'm interested to hear the analysis.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Well my own personal analysis... The gear was cut wrong. You cannot wrap the chain around the whole cam gear without having to pull it in place and you can see it stressing to fit into the gear...

I tried to fit my second chain around the cam gear and it is just off, the stretched one fits the sprocket perfectly and the rollers touch the base of the gear.

And Barry I'm not concerned about material from it stretching I'm concerned about where the chain rubbed the block and left grooves on the dampener mounting bosses.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

Two words: JB Weld.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
3400tZ

Post by 3400tZ »

Jon, the set I just installed in my 3500 is from the same batch as yours (the last batch) but the other one I have is from an older batch (the batch that had the TCE logo engraved on the cam gear). That one is in my closet and I can take whatever pictures you need if that help. I cannot take pictures of both of my set together tho as the other set is already in the engine (Looks like I might have to take it out anyway... :/).

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Balls. I'd be super pissed...

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3400tZ

Post by 3400tZ »

Here is pics of a set from a previous batch. From what I remember, I feel like the gears aren't cut as deep on this one ?...

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

If they are not Cut as deep on the older set that completely explains the issue.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

3400tZ wrote:Here is pics of a set from a previous batch. From what I remember, I feel like the gears aren't cut as deep on this one ?...

Fully wrapped like this does it feel like the chain is bottoming out on the sprocket ALL the way around? Because it does not feel that way on mine... I have to pull it tight in on each side to get it to get the rollers of the chain to bottom out on the sprocket.

Also does the back of the cam gear have the slot cuts in it where it rests against the cam retaining plate? Mine doesn't have those slots and I think that is very bad for oiling since most of the oil the chain should see would be overflow from the front cam bearing and without those slots it's hard for the oil to make its way out there.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

ugh damnit

_________
-------------
3400tZ

Post by 3400tZ »

I wish I had a freaking battery for my caliper :/ The teeth seems to be about 4.5mm deep and from one tooth to one on the other side (see picture) is 116mm. What do you get with yours ?

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I'll measure it tomorrow but it's definitely wrong... No slots on the back side of mine either....

Try this with your sprocket

New chain

Badly stretched one that now fits the profile

Also other pics.

Slots on back of GM sprocket

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3400tZ

Post by 3400tZ »

Mine is doing like your stretched one, fit fine on the sprocket. The one in the pics above that is, from a previous batch. I guess the one in my engine (from the same batch as yours) is just as fucked as yours. Does Mark plan to replace the sprokets or something ? I guess I have to take it back out now, damn it!