snowblindburd
Administrator

Re: 1996 Mr.Pink

Post by snowblindburd »

Sweet!

MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

make sure you post old and new if possible so we can see the difference if possible

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Ok boys and girls... Here is the first 4t60e style EP LSD I ever received. Way back in 2004 or 05 IIRC

Now that worked for a while, I had some major oiling issues in that trans which resulted in that burning up, and quite a few other thrust washers and such, and also a second Low Roller sprag... So I sent it back to Jeff and he re-did it for me. I ran that for a while in the red car, put down my 13.8 and such and still had it in the car when I had Pink car. After I got most of pink car situated and I got a second good open diff lined up, I pulled the LSD from the Red car and found this.

I can’t complain because it served me well over its life. It was time to change the style and upgrade.

Jeff offered me a 4t65e style setup which removed the stamped steel plates from the deal and those were replaced with machined steel plates that were hardened. Now the difference is on a stock 4t60e the intermediate shaft has a C clip that you need to physically install to hold it in place, the 65e has a snap clip similar to how an axle is held on. This is the reason why on my first diff one side had three springs, one strong two weak, and the other side had the two strong ones spread apart so you could install this clip. With the 65e setup you can just block both sides of the diff with the LSD parts and springs to make the pressure more even.’

This is what I got back from Jeff in 2008 for Pinky.

It looks exactly the same on both sides. I ran that for a while and after Niagara Bfest I switched diffs from a 3.06 to the 3.29 that I’m running now keeping all the LSD parts the same, so that hung in there for Charlotte and Chicago and now I pulled it this year and noticed the galling that I had on the center plates had gotten worse as well as markings on the outer spiders. Carrier is still good so I just sent Jeff a new set of spider gears for him to install. I asked for this sucker to be nice and strong since 12.6’s sound like they are going to be my slower times now… He said he would lessen the backlash of the spiders and tighten her up, as well as replace all of the other wear items… so it’s technically a brand new diff… And without further ado here it is...

From the looks of it this version will prevent the issue I had where the outside of the plates were deflectiong more than the center due to the spring pressure, and that would put the loading force on just the outside edge of the spider gears... This looks like it will apply a more even force to the face of the spiders and he also stated that the heat treating spec was changed on the center plates to help reduce/prevent the galling issue I was having as well as others I suppose.

Only time will tell, but I have a very strong feeling that this will work better than what I had at the end of last year since I was doning one wheel peelers in the burnout box... thats just no good! :)

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Sweet deal! That looks a lot more rugged than the one I got back from Jeff. Now I'm curious to see what Robert gets, if it's more like mine or yours.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

That is the original plate style that I had at first. I think you'll be fine with that one, but do both of your axles get installed with axle type spring clips? If so you could probably have that swapped out to the style I have some day.

When I had that in red car it worked good and just overtime eventually cracked... but also physical wear on parts were less with that design, Jeff was able to re-use the spiders and the clutches from the red car setup when he did my first 65e style setup, it was that design and possibly my application that galled up the spiders and blocks which resulted in those having to be replaced. I think the clutches were still OK but since he wanted to lessen the backlash he had to make these new ones just a bit thicker.

Robert, do you have any pics of the parts you received?

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

The axle and the jackshaft both install with spring clips on mine. And they are a BITCH to pop out with the LSD actually. I think I remember Alex posting about that problem as well, and had to make a specialty tool to get the leverage he needed. When I had to send one of my axles back I took apart the bucket because it would not come out of the trans.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I had that issue one time before... Best solution is to round off the sides of the clips a good amount and ensure that they are a small as they can be and still operate... Remove them and try to squeeze them shut then install them quickly without spreading them open much, if they hang over the edge the spiders do not have a very good starting bevel to make them collapse so sometimes you can get them wedged... It still happens with my 65e style half shaft going to the drivers side... that got stuck this year and I had to rotate it 3 or 4 times to get the clip in that sweet spot where it would collapse and come free.

The first one I ever had the clips got stuck so bad I actually had to break them inside the diff to get the axle out... talk about a PAIN IN THE ASS... that was due to some machine work done on the face of the spider which made it even harder for the clip to collapse when you were trying to remove it.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

3X00-Modified wrote:The first one I ever had the clips got stuck so bad I actually had to break them inside the diff to get the axle out... talk about a PAIN IN THE ASS... that was due to some machine work done on the face of the spider which made it even harder for the clip to collapse when you were trying to remove it.
I'm thinking my case may be similar...that's why I disassembled at the bucket rather than continue pounding on it.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Robert 89gt

Post by Robert 89gt »

woody90gtz wrote:Sweet deal! That looks a lot more rugged than the one I got back from Jeff. Now I'm curious to see what Robert gets, if it's more like mine or yours.

Tomorrow or saturday i will take a few pictures.I have 9 hundred dollars just in parts sitting at jeffs shop.I've only seen it onces then he took everything.haha

13's or bust

Post by 13's or bust »

is pinky gonna be running low 12's this year on a true 100 shot??? i hope its at bfest 11'

"Berettas are like a sickness...and it's incurable." quoted from woody90gtz

96 z26, 3500 swap, currently awaiting Holset HX35 :) ,also 96 beretta, 3400 swap, rebuilt trans, 15.2 choked up with 3100 older uim & lim.
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Odds are good since I did the 12.6 with only sun warming the bottle, and with all the wheel spin I had... It will happen at Bfest 11 if I can keep the car together... LOL I plan on bringing it somewhere once its together to just make sure everything is good before I run it that way at Indy. I just want to make sure my fueling is good so I can keep any possibility of detonation away and keep all my pistons and one piece... lol

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
13's or bust

Post by 13's or bust »

I think you can do it, less wheelspin as long as the track is prepped good tjere shouldnt be any problem.

96 z26, 3500 swap, currently awaiting Holset HX35 :) ,also 96 beretta, 3400 swap, rebuilt trans, 15.2 choked up with 3100 older uim & lim.
13's or bust

Post by 13's or bust »

We should adventure to us41/no limit raceway even on test and tune the track is prepped ridiculously good. You should be able to spray off the line but not on them bfgs, pair of slicks wouls launch you like crazy, I think everything would hold up.

scannerman

Post by scannerman »

13's or bust wrote:We should adventure to us41/no limit raceway even on test and tune the track is prepped ridiculously good. You should be able to spray off the line but not on them bfgs, pair of slicks wouls launch you like crazy, I think everything would hold up.

when i was at that track a few years ago the prep sucked. My 3100 spun the tires so hard on the launch that it shifted to second and then back to first. that was late october and the weather was cool but my impression of their track prep was sad.

2009 Cobalt SS LNF
1995 Z26 3100 auto <--- Totalled
1989 base 2.8 auto <-- Sold
13's or bust

Post by 13's or bust »

My car held up fine there, my buddies low 12sec gtp on a street tire didnt spin off the line yes floored. But I went in late june and early july, my car did just fine there choked up 3400 ran 15.27 but idk. Jons car would hook there I think rodneys car would hook there too.