1996 Mr.Pink

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: 1996 Mr.Pink

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Just missing spare pistons since I assume that the crank and rods would be fine.

It can't be that bad... Still out driving it right now, still has power, not smoking or anything funny like that. I will do a compression check when I have time next week, but I'm also prepping for roundy round car world series, 2 points out of the lead.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Well I contacted NGK directly to see what they would suggest for me... Told them the configuration and nitrous use and said suggest a plug for all motor and nitrous and if those two worlds don't overlap for temp range then to suggest one for all motor and one for nitrous use only. I'll resort to swapping plugs at the track if I have to just to avoid this issue again.

Trying to search and find out how the hell I ended up with those plugs in there... They are spec'd for a Beretta if you search the Autolite number but when you go application only you get a APP606 number. Same number comes up for the Malibu 3.5L engine. Both are in their F16 heat range so I guess they are similar but that's the stock range, No idea how I got the APP5245's

Think I found it... Those plugs fit a 95 Beretta application specific... No clue why they exclude the 96... but either way I guess these were purchased for my 95 back in the day and I threw them it... I get the idiot plaque of the year award... used a fuel pump from that car... FAIL, used old spark plugs from that car... FAIL. I'm just hoping that the ceramic coating on the piston tops saved them.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Nah, you forgot the rule: stock parts for a stock car

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Fuel pump was a Walbro 255HP... so that wasn't stock... And at the time that I stole the 5245's from my stack of plugs I only had to get the car running... Use of nitrous was not on my mind... and unfortunately I did not remember that choice.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Damn, almost had a way out there.

keep'em flying!
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

3X00-Modified wrote:used a fuel pump from that car... FAIL, used old spark plugs from that car... FAIL.

3X00-Modified wrote:I'm just hoping that the ceramic coating on the piston tops saved them.
If I see a trend... and I hope it's not true!

_________
-------------
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Hey now! It's not always in 3's! I'll take a bad head or valve over the pistons.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

lmao! I agree. Keep us posted!

_________
-------------
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I may do a compression check tonight to see what it looks like... I doubt I'll be tearing the motor out quite yet. Need to catch up on some oil changes on daily's as well as clean the disaster of my garage before I tear anything apart... i have no room to move out there lately.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Garage reorg/cleaning is a bi-weekly chore. I am in the middle of prime/paint of mine right now. 2 day task that is taking me a month of random days with how busy work, life, and other stuff keeps me.

_________
-------------
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

So whats going on with Pinky Jon?

1 Of 1 Street Legal Centri S/c Beretta's In Existance
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Nothing yet... Drove it to work last week Friday as somewhat of a last hurrah before she is put to sleep... I still need to clean up the garage and then start in. Motor will come out and be inspected for any damages as well as the transmission since I was getting one wheel peals in the box... Need to check the LSD and strengthen it. I hope there is no damage there either. SO yeah.... Just been catching up on home projects and running around lately.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Asylum wrote:I don't know if the 3500 will get you a 1/4 second N/A, over what you have, but you might get close.

It likely won't help the Nitrous times as much as it will N/A. A high 12.5 maybe on a perfect day.

You still have to be able to launch it.

My best 60' times were high 1.80's with what I considered pretty much the perfect combination of converter and gearing. I think the 1.871 at Chicago was my best.

If you are having traction issues now, it's not going to get better unless you perhaps consider slicks, and then breakage may raise it's ugly head, LOL!

Still pretty impressive.
Went back in the thread digging for some info and saw this... Last times out I was doing 14.25's and swapping to the 3500 engine, granted and a different cam it's now in the 13.5's N/A... That's just nuts. Shows how bad the old cam was for N/A.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

3/4 of a second is a great improvement! Wonder how much of a difference being on squeeze will make once the 3500 is ready to take the hits?

Will you spray the same amount as you did the 3400 for a back to back comparison?

_________
-------------
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Yeah I'm going to leave the "shot jetting" alone once I get plugs and everything sorted out to make sure it will be safe and see what it will do as is... Then it will be direct port time.

Might have to pull 2* from the timing table before I try another nitrous pass to make sure that's not part of the issue. I honestly think it was completely wrong temp range for the plugs and that's why they did what they did.

Due to my extremely busy schedule lately, I don't think the motor will get pulled apart before the season... but we'll see.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"