1996 Mr.Pink

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: 1996 Mr.Pink

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Well, everything is at the machine shop... Heads block and bottom end... He's going to start on the balancing and head work and then when I get the ARP main studs he'll do the line bore check block decking and cylinder hone/cleaning. I hate waiting for machine work... LOL

Now it's onto the little nickle and dime items... Started to tear apart the AC compressor to see if I can replace the o-rings on the body and seal it back up if all is well inside... I will also be attempting to replace the Expansion valve since I believe that's the cause to my AC never really being cold as it should have. I will also throw a new dryer at it.

I also pulled apart my old fuel pump assembly and harvested the stock bucket and parts from my 95... I swapped all of that in with my old Walbro F20000169 pump that I had lying around... My existing setup was a GSS340 Walbro with a cut up bucket... This new configuration uses all stock components in the pickup... I'm hoping that will work and not give me issues with sucking the bucket dry... if it does its back to the GSS340 setup since that worked OK, I just need to refine how it reaches the bottom of the tank.

I'm debating starting in on the trans but I don't want to be in the middle of that all torn apart and have my engine stuff be ready... One project at a time but I feel that I can finish the trans rather quick as long as the TCC lockup failure did not damage anything else in there.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Is it weird when you spend all night working on your 12sec car but you were working on fixing/rebuilding the A/C? lol

Compressor rebuild in process and expansion valve removed... Man I hate doing a heater core on these cars.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

Looking good Jon!
Kinda wish i woulda line bored my engine, but i should be fine, it's a good precaution to put in ARP main studs though.

I miss my A/C....
I am currently moving my trans cooler to a shorter/thicker staked plate version behind the egg crate grille, eventually sometime this winter i would like to relocate my oil cooler and make room for the condenser and put the a/c back in again.. My body is to spoiled by the a/c at work to not have it when cruising around.

1 Of 1 Street Legal Centri S/c Beretta's In Existance
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Slinky wrote: it's a good precaution to put in ARP main studs though.
This is really the only reason why it's getting checked... and it's not being done if it's within spec. Ben said he had one block that needed nothing with the studs installed but it's still worth at least checking to make sure it's right.

And I only bought the studs because the original springs I bought from Ben were discontinued and the replacements were $60 cheaper, so rather than get a refund I just sent him the difference for the studs.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
themixer

Post by themixer »

When doing my 3400 swap the AC system was a real pain in my ass to keep. I could see how cutting it all off would have been a lot easier.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

My AC worked previously to this and it's not being difficult to be honest. I'm just going through and rebuilding the 19yr old compressor with new o-rings as well as replacing the dryer since it's been exposed to open air which is bad, and then I decided to do the expansion valve since my system never got REALLY cold even when charged well so that points to that sucker reading or regulating flow improperly.

I just think it's funny that I'm making my A/C work in my race car... not all that common LOL.

I need to go through the whole A/C system on the Indy as well... But I'll probably save that one for the lift since I don't feel like digging into it in my garage right now with how much stuff is everywhere. Both cars will have working and cold A/C this year at Bfest... Its NECESSARY... last year was torture.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Did you change the line filter? Saw it in the manual and Rock Auto has them. Could be clogged.

Got to replace my evaporator. Damn, better get a dryer now that I think about it.

LOL AC on a race car. Same LOL for me fixing a AC on a car that may be on it's way out. When you get older rolling down the windows doesn't work!

keep'em flying!
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

3X00-Modified wrote: I need to go through the whole A/C system on the Indy as well... But I'll probably save that one for the lift since I don't feel like digging into it in my garage right now with how much stuff is everywhere.
At least there's no tearing stuff apart on the interior of the 87-91 models unless you need to replace the evaporator core.

Cliff Scott
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

The only line filters that I have found are on the compressor inlet and then there was a small screen in the expansion valve... My model doesn't have the large orfice tube like the indy will have.

And Cliff that is nice... What line has the orfice tube on the Indy? I will probably put in a new drier and quite possibly remove and replace all the O-rings. Not sure if I'll rebuild the compressor but it may be worth it, then I'll really know what condition the system is in.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

All the presents show up on the same day but now the machine shop is the delay.... Wahoo a rhyme!

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

3X00-Modified wrote:What line has the orfice tube on the Indy? I will probably put in a new drier and quite possibly remove and replace all the O-rings. Not sure if I'll rebuild the compressor but it may be worth it, then I'll really know what condition the system is in.
The service manual says it should be installed at the inlet of the evaporator core. Older models had it by the condenser.

Cliff Scott
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

You're a poet & didn't know it.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Compressor is back together minus the front seal... Attempted to install without the shaft protector and failed... LOL ordered a new seal and the install tool... Damn tools. Expansion valve installed, Blew the lines out as well but didn't flush the system. The dryer is sitting in place all capped off still waiting to get installed on the sealed system.

I'm going to try and get the A/C all sorted and then get a vac pump on the system to ensure it's sealed prior to doing anything else in the engine bay and getting stuff in the way... It's way easier right now to inspect for and fix any potential leaks.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Oh yeah the cam card...

Gross valve lift is actually .571/.569 with my 1.6 rocker ratio.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

Your compressor is back together now so this advise is late. The compressor on my 94 mini van leaked due to corrosion
on the shaft that creeped under the front seal so it would lose freon there. I was able to get a rebuilt off Ebay.
On my 96 Beretta, the aluminum case corrosion creeped under a large o-ring that is between sections of the compressor
so freon and oil leaked from there. Again got a rebuilt off Ebay.
So I hope you have no corrosion in those areas of your compressor.
I once pulled a compressor apart on my 93 mini van just to see why it froze.
Apparently when the dealer R & R-ed the engine, they let the freon rush out of the system taking all the oil with it.
I found no oil in the compressor and the balls and brass cups they ride in were sort of welded together.
Back then, I ordered a rebuilt compressor at the auto parts store I remember it was about $400.
I half heartedly treid to put the compressor back together but gave up. I took it as my core but the
counter guy, at first didn't want to take it because it was apart but I told him all the parts were there so he took it.
Nice build, keep up the good work.