Nukkinfuttz Turbo GTZ

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
nukkinfuttz

Re: Nukkinfuttz Turbo GTZ

Post by nukkinfuttz »

your eyes must decieve you... i only have one nipple. hahahahahaha
if you are refering to the thing on the side, that is just a mounting stud, there is a like peice on the other side too. No baro correction, just the plain jane 255kpa map sensor for now.

Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Damn, I fail. Yeah I was looking at the stud.

Stock ignition system? Are you using a IAC?

nukkinfuttz

Post by nukkinfuttz »

Im running a stock ICM module, but have removed the stock coils. Instead I run remote DSM coils, since they were cheap to score at a JY and are already proven in turbo applications to be good to 30PSI before breaking down.

I have permanately sealed off my IAC port and i have no electronic means of idle regulation. I have removed the plug over top of the factory throttle stop screw so that I can gain access to be able to adjust it, and use that screw to set my idle. Works great, just like it has on carberated cars for the last century. no big deal.

Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Does the quad ICM have a bypass to retard timing during cranking? The v6 does, but its not hooked up to my MS and I break starters sometimes.

I do the same exact thing with my IAC. It works great. I get a wandering idle sometimes but I think thats tune issue with something.

nukkinfuttz

Post by nukkinfuttz »

Well I think you are thinkin about that bypass all wrong. First off, as far as I know, all gm DIS and HEI systems have the bypass feature. When this line is disconnected or not powered, the ignition system "bypasses" the ECU's commands for timing and runs itself at 10 degrees no matter what. Once the engine was started then the bypass line would be pulled high by the ECU and that would bring it out of bypass mode. At this piont the ignition module will follow the timing commands of the ECU.

So if yours is disconnected and supplying no voltage to the bypass line , then you are missing out on a lot of power because you are running fixed timing at 10 degrees.

nukkinfuttz

Post by nukkinfuttz »

Why is your bypass line not hooked up to MS?

Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Its the opposite. It is still hooked up to the stock ECU and because I hardly have any sensors going to the stock ECU its putting out 5V any time the key is on. It dosent know when it is cranking anymore.

How do you have yours set up?

nukkinfuttz

Post by nukkinfuttz »

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms1extra/MS_ ... .htm#gmdis

if you follow the mods on this page, you will need to perform two mods to LED's drivers that will make it control your Bypass and EST on your ignition module. These instructions are not as good as the ones I originally followed years ago, but those are lost now :( At any rate, do these resistor mods to your LEDs, and then use the X11 to control your EST and use the X12 to control your BYPASS

See, here is the output connector of the megasquirt.

Here is my Quad 4 diagram... this should be exactly the same for you, except you would have 3 injectors wired to each channel, where-as I only have two. everything else remains the same between both engines.
The LED D17 gets wired to X11, which in turn becomes DB-37 pin 25. Pin 25 becomes EST
And LED D19 gets wired to X12, which in turn becomes DB-37 pin 27. Pin 27 Becomes BYPASS

Then in "Codebase and Output" functions ensure LED17 is SparkA and LED19 is SparkB. THis will let MS know that it should use these LEDs drivers to control your ignition module using ESC and Bypass.

The megasquirt instruction website is the biggest piece of crap known to man. Even when I point out that thier manuals and documents are incomplete, and show them exactly what it takes to make it right, they will not update it. I have submitted multiple revisions for GM DIS and for DSM 4G63T and they just dont ever update. This really frustrates me becuase I know how hard it was for me to figure this stuff out with incomplete and missing information, and now that I know, i want to make sure no one else gets stumped like I did. But they could care less. bummer. Great product, sorry support.

Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Thank you for the extremely informative post. I will look into it this weekend and try to see how I have this thing wired up. Its so hard to keep track of everything. I originally had it running MSI on a v2.2 board doing spark with msextra. Now its MSII on the same v2.2 board.

Like you said, the manual is not very clear and is contradicting at some parts.

I have a nissan 240sx that I am putting a MS in too. I think I will go with ford EDIS on this one. It seems really well documented. The stock ignition system uses a 4 tooth/slot pick up wheel and people have issues with it. It is a mitsubishi distributor however, so maybe you already know about that too.

KFLO 93 GT

Post by KFLO 93 GT »

Ahh my bad, yeah I was definitely thinking of CombatPhil somehow. I do clearly remember your machine now, and his as well that never went anywhere except to looking shitty and getting covered in snot green spray paint.

The MS info isn't prudent for me, but man, it is awesome to have that info on here - as well as having someone who can explain it in such a manner that the average guy doesn't feel too lost. :)

93 GTs
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

We need someone like that who knows OBD1! haha

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

woody90gtz wrote:We need someone like that who knows OBD1! haha
You don't need wiring info for OBDI though, thats already done for you... Tuning OBDI style is very simlar to MS though, at least IIRC it is... since your MAF less...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

MS is much harder to set up initially than OBD1 but much, much easier to tune and much more flexibility.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Well duh since your doing a custom application, OBDI is already applied. ;)

I'm referring to the process of tuning though, you guys use VE tables and such correct?

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Yeah. Main tuning is fuel table and spark. RPM v.s. MAP. Very simple to tune. Then there are modifiers based on other inputs like IAT,CTS etc that change your pulsewidth/advance based on what you want.

Autotune is ehhh, I dont use it. You can build a VE AFR target table, then have it fine tune your fuel table to reach the commanded AFR's. It works but I usually just do it myslef, running as lean as possible around town for gas mileage.

The datalogging is top notch. Burning the file is nice. Minor changes only take a few miliseconds, a full tune is downloaded in a few seconds. I usually tune on the fly, and you can feel it misfire once when you make a change.

I just cant wait to get my nissan running on MS too so I wont have to re learn anything haha.