The Red '96 Z26 (78K Miles)

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
GTU89

Re: '96 Z26

Post by GTU89 »

2.2H8TA wrote:I have not tried a different canister yet.
As far as trading it, it was an 01' monte carlo LS with 140k on the body, but the guy claimed it had a new engine and trans w/ 40k on it. He could not prove this, so no deal. Idiot also claimed it got 40mpg on the highway with some new injectors, which he also could not prove. I traded an 02' monte for this Z because it needed some bodywork, and sense the Z was so clean I had to have it. My old monte had the sport suspension, factory 5 spokes, and the nascar type spoiler. The sport susp package included front strut tower brace, and a larger rear swaybar, and the 01' I was thinking of trading for had none of this, just a base monte, so that killed the deal pretty much right away. I still have a soft spot for the 00-05 montes, but I'll hold out till I find the right one, and hang on to the Z. (the right monte would be a "low mile" (under 50k) 05 LS 3400 w/sport susp. pkg, factory 5 spokes and the nascar type spoiler, leather, roof etc. oh, and it has to be BLACK!)
Oh man, I love those things!

88_GTU

Post by 88_GTU »

As far as trading it, it was an 01' monte carlo LS with 140k on the body, but the guy claimed it had a new engine and trans w/ 40k on it. He could not prove this, so no deal. Idiot also claimed it got 40mpg on the highway with some new injectors, which he also could not prove. I traded an 02' monte for this Z because it needed some bodywork, and sense the Z was so clean I had to have it. My old monte had the sport suspension, factory 5 spokes, and the nascar type spoiler. The sport susp package included front strut tower brace, and a larger rear swaybar, and the 01' I was thinking of trading for had none of this, just a base monte, so that killed the deal pretty much right away. I still have a soft spot for the 00-05 montes, but I'll hold out till I find the right one, and hang on to the Z. (the right monte would be a "low mile" (under 50k) 05 LS 3400 w/sport susp. pkg, factory 5 spokes and the nascar type spoiler, leather, roof etc. oh, and it has to be BLACK!)
Just curious but why the 3400? Those Montes are heavy and those equipped with 3400 were pretty slow. Hell my 3800 SC wasn't too quick until it got modded fairly well.
It's not a bad car by any means, just wondered about the engine choice.
J

88 GTU 5spd 67k black
89 GTU 3500/5spd swapped 79k white
08 TBSS LS2 AWD
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

GTU89 wrote:
Oh man, I love those things!

YES, but thats an SS. I love the silver ground effects on those though. I'd probably put those on if I ever got another.

1994 AQUA ZED
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

88_GTU wrote:
Just curious but why the 3400? Those Montes are heavy and those equipped with 3400 were pretty slow. Hell my 3800 SC wasn't too quick until it got modded fairly well.
It's not a bad car by any means, just wondered about the engine choice.
J
Just personal preference I guess. That, and I don't want an SS unless it's supercharged, and I think I'd still prefer the 3400 LS. They never put the 3800 in an LS, but they did make the LT in 05 with the 3800, which was basicly an SS without SS badges.
I felt the 3400 had decent power, even in such a heavy car. I don't race my cars or anything, so they have enough power for me.

1994 AQUA ZED
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

3X00-Modified wrote:It could be the lines that leave the intake, go to the purge valve, leave there and go to the canister, OR go from the canister to the fuel tank that's bad... OR you could simply have a bad gas cap that's not holding pressure.

Surging, miss fires and evap code all sound like a large vac leak... Might want to check the first line that goes from the intake to the purge and also the PCV valve lines to make sure they are all good.
Thanks for the insight 3X00. I'm sure I'll get this figured out eventually.
I'll report back after I check some things out. Probably gonna have it looked at by another mechanic this week too.

1994 AQUA ZED
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

Here is a link to the video of it doing it's thing. Don't mind my rambling. Haha.
If you have problems with the video playing for you, please let me know. It won't play smoothly on the computer I'm on right now. Let me know what you think.
In this video, my foot never touches the gas pedal, and like I said before, it just seems to rev itself to stay running.
Also just before it starts to surge, you can hear a glugging type of sound, which comes from the rear pass. side of the car. If you have to, just crank the volume all the way up, and you should be able to hear it.
http://s1056.photobucket.com/albums/t36 ... Z26017.mp4

1994 AQUA ZED
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: '96 Z26-Video Link On Pg. 12

Post by 3X00-Modified »

FYI if you ever decide to take a road trip I'm willing to fix this car if you brought it to me. All of these issues your having with mechanics reporting things to you and them not being the problem just makes me nuts. Its very easy to hook a car up to a scanner and watch all of the sensor outputs to see what is going on and then to attack that one area. I'm not even in the Mechanic field and idiots who just take shots in the dark piss me off... I hate it when people like that get the job too... they know next to nothing and could only pass a ASE test but never apply it in the real world.

For example brettaboy's car a Bfest... he had a code brought it to Advanced and it was for miss fires and the second 02 sensor. They tried to sell him the second o2 sensor telling him it would fix his miss fires... That damn sensor doesn't even affect drive ability! I hooked it up to my DHP scanned it for 2 seconds and saw cylinder 5 miss firing like crazy as well as 2 a little... so we checked the OHM's on the coil and it showed up bad, swapped on one of mine for 5 min to test and it was fine. SIMPLE FIX!

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

Thats like a 500 mile round trip for me. LOL
I hate all the dumbass mechanics too, more than you can ever know! I'm obviously not a mechanic, but I can at least be resonable. Haha
If I came to CT, for you to work on my car, I'd be coming for the swap.
I don't know though, maybe I'll get a little time off from work and come there for a fix. Pretty pathetic I have to drive 250 miles to get a stupid vaccum issue fixed correctly. I have no doubts about the car being able to make it. I'm gonna see what I can do.

1994 AQUA ZED
berettaboy

Post by berettaboy »

3X00-Modified wrote:
For example brettaboy's car a Bfest... he had a code brought it to Advanced and it was for miss fires and the second 02 sensor. They tried to sell him the second o2 sensor telling him it would fix his miss fires... That damn sensor doesn't even affect drive ability! I hooked it up to my DHP scanned it for 2 seconds and saw cylinder 5 miss firing like crazy as well as 2 a little... so we checked the OHM's on the coil and it showed up bad, swapped on one of mine for 5 min to test and it was fine. SIMPLE FIX!
Thanks again Jon! Haha

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

96 BRM base converted to Z26 - 2012 bfest winner, best stock engine bay
94 BAM Z26 - bought with 1 owner from VA
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

I just got off the phone with the guy who did my LIMG's last year, and he explained to me that it was not him who put it back together, thus he was not the one who messed up upon reassembly, causing that coolant leak I had.
He IS the one who fixed that issue however.
But anyway, this guy is good, he has the proper scan tools, and he's not a mechanic who is going to throw parts at it. He is going to pinpoint the problem, and fix it properly!
I'm going to go to his house on Sunday afternoon, and let him have a look, and hopefully get this issue resolved properly. It's a real breath of fresh air to talk with a mechanic who is like that. 1 in a million around here for sure!

1994 AQUA ZED
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

BUMP
Anyone have anything to add before I get this looked at, as far as things to ask him to look over after watching the above video?
I ask because I'm going to be there observing while he is poking around, and I'll be able to share this information with him as he goes along.
As it stands now, this is offically a mystery problem, so please, get your final words in, this way I can finally get this problem fixed!
:pardon: :pardon: 12K+MILES OF RANDOM ANNOYING START UPS!!!!!!! :crazy: :crazy:

1994 AQUA ZED
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

I didn't get a chance to get it looked at yet, guys pretty busy I guess.
I was wondering if anyone would be able to explain the evap system to me, what exactly is it's purpose?

1994 AQUA ZED
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

keep'em flying!
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

Saturday I will be getting this looked at.

1994 AQUA ZED
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

Had it checked on saturday! I belive we found the vac leak! The port on the upper intake that is capped off, the rubber cap had a hole in it, it looks like someone poked it with a pen. When the cap with the whole in it was on the car, we had it hooked up to the scan tool, and the IAC was reading at 0 at idle. When we rigged up a temporary cap, and had the scanner hooked up, the IAC was reading between 11 and 13. Every start up with the exeption of 1 it has been good, and I've driven about 50 miles so far without the SES light coming back on. My mechanic lives out in the middle of nowhere, and I got lost on my way to his garage. My car got pretty hot, and started to piss coolant out underneath, just to the inside of the weep hole. His lift was occupied, so we couldn't really pinpoint where it was leaking from, but I topped the coolant off, and drove it home with out a problem. It did leak a little more, but not much, so I bought a jug of straight up dex-cool, and cut it 50/50. Anyone have any Idea what may be causing this leak? I'm gonna go ahead and buy a new water pump, belt, and thermostat, and have that done later this week.

1994 AQUA ZED