My Lowered 96 Chevy Beretta!

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
theSLEEPER

My Lowered 96 Chevy Beretta!

Post by theSLEEPER »

This car was given to me by my mother because I needed a higher MPG car to keep day to day costs down.

It had been sitting for about 6 months when I got it but I didn't have to do anything but buy a battery and change the oil.

So far I have about 2000 miles on her and loving every day. I lowered it close to two inches I think, and I'm still on my first tank but I'll have some mileage numbers soon. Already have 400 miles on this tank and I'm hoping to make it to 550 before refueling.

She needs some front bearings soon and I'm definitely not looking forward to that...

heavywoody
Global Moderator

Re: My Lowered 96 Chevy Beretta!

Post by heavywoody »

How did you lower it?

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Ok, this post makes no sense.

How can you have 2000 miles on it so far, yet be on your first tank of gas? lol

And good luck hitting 550. Best I have done was 526 I think it was @ 36MPG. And that was with a V6 3100 Auto.

Front bearings are cake if you work on cars, otherwise have someone that knows what they are doing help you with them.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

theSLEEPER

Post by theSLEEPER »

First tank since lowering. I lowered it by cutting the springs. I have limiters in the rear to keep them from popping out so it's all relatively safe.

I'm not worried about the work of changing bearings. I'm a pretty competent mechanic. The price tag is what sucks.

Just for some more background, I'm 27 and work for NASA as an Engineering Technician. I have a few other vehicles I can post pics of when I am allowed to post pics. :D

I do diesel performance work on the side and sponsor 5 diesel forums.

I got the car for free because my mom accidentally locked her favorite dog in it and it died on the back seat...

SuzukiGhostRider

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

Wheel bearings are almost as simple as the job gets on these cars. Takes about 5-10 minutes per side. Literally...

theSLEEPER

Post by theSLEEPER »

I know. I had to pull the struts out to cut the coils, so I've seen it... I'm talking strictly $$$.

theSLEEPER

Post by theSLEEPER »

How long until I can post pics?

DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

SuzukiGhostRider wrote:Wheel bearings are almost as simple as the job gets on these cars. Takes about 5-10 minutes per side. Literally...
Does that include dropping the ball joints so you can pull the axles to change the rear bearing cover/seals? LOL

I doubt it! :P

As for bearing prices, go to RockAuto.com, look up Timken brands. They aren't too bad usually and will do fine.

Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

theSLEEPER

Post by theSLEEPER »

Thats where I looked. But thanks for the heads up! $120 a pair still sucks...

I keep telling myself that new bearings will help my MPGs! Hah!

mickaz

Post by mickaz »

you have a focus yet your given a beretta for higher gas mileage? sorry but i dosen't add up. Show some pics of your rides.

Beretta 96 3500 - 14.981@ 93.32
65MM thorttle body, Crank trigger 97 venture ECM and Dhp powrTuner
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Well, just don't do what some have had happen. Bearing failure sucks worse that 120 a pair. Especially when the wheel separates from the car!

My last set on the Z were so bad, I just had to change them. Yikes! But I also did ball joints, rotors, drums, pads and shoes. I think it all cost around 250 or something.... Its in my Z project thread, toward the back circa June 2010 right before Bfest. And yes I changed the rear bearing seals! lol PITA!

theSLEEPER

Post by theSLEEPER »

My wife drives the Focus daily. I am still waiting to be able to post pics... Don't you think if I was BS ing I would pick nicer cars?

My youtube account is ohmydodge...

Search and you will see me racing my truck and my RX8...

theSLEEPER

Post by theSLEEPER »

DTMAce wrote:Well, just don't do what some have had happen. Bearing failure sucks worse that 120 a pair. Especially when the wheel separates from the car!

My last set on the Z were so bad, I just had to change them. Yikes! But I also did ball joints, rotors, drums, pads and shoes. I think it all cost around 250 or something.... Its in my Z project thread, toward the back circa June 2010 right before Bfest. And yes I changed the rear bearing seals! lol PITA!
Thanks for the heads up! They're not bad yet. Just a little growling around corners.

Where's the issue with my cut springs? I could see if I didn't install limiter straps, but it's not like I AutoX or anything...

DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Last year's wheel job nightmare.... lol

http://www.beretta.net/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=285

theSLEEPER

Post by theSLEEPER »

Wow! You did some great work on that car! Not to rub it in, but I'm soo glad we don't have to deal with rust like that down here!