My 1989 Beretta GTU

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
Burning_Beard

My 1989 Beretta GTU

Post by Burning_Beard »

Hello Everyone,

This is my newly-aquired GTU. It was a one owner, with the original GT sticker and a GTU option price slip. The lady went to the dealership to by a camaro, and they were loading this off the truck as she arrived. She immediately wanted it instead. IIRC it was 15k base GT and 17k w/the GTU package

It has 70k+ original miles, and stored winters. Brought out Easter, put back Oct 10th for 23 years. It's been to florida twice. Absolutely no rust, not even surface rust, anywhere underneath it, except for the exhaust. I was blown away, this is Ohio, where cars come to die. She treated it pretty special, as will I.

I took these with my phone, one of these days I'll do some nice sexy pics like most of you guys.

A pic when I went to go look at her, here she is waiting for me.

First week home, I took off the louvers. I honestly think they may look "awesomer" on the car. Louvers are my generation's park bench I guess. Theyre probably gonna go back on eventually.

Flipped the front tires and gave her a bath, she shines up real nice.

Still amazed by the mileage.

She's not perfect. The dash is warped by the vent. There are some chips and light scratches in the paint, and the roof was faded pretty bad, and someone rattle canned over it. The panels are pretty good but they were broken down by the map pocket, and I have no idea why they broke there, they've been glued back. I need a new belt tensioner, working A/C, and better radio, probably a cat.

The fuel gauge is wonky, I'm gonna pull the float and clean the contacts and test the ohms to see why thats happening, and for the love of f**k I have no idea why something pops on low speed turns, left or right. It sounds like trailing arms. I put new pads/calipers/rotors on over the weekend, and when I jacked up the froont end, the rear popped a lil. Its not ball joints up front, anyways, thats a different thread.

If anyone wants pics of anything else, left me know.

BTW, does any have accurate production numbers from C&C for 89, broken down by color?

1989 Beretta GTU 2.8 w/77k, auto.
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Re: My 1989 Beretta GTU

Post by heavywoody »

Nice clean sexy Black GTU. My favorite color GTU!

I wouldn't be surprised if the rubber bits in the suspension are shot (including the rear axle bushings).

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Looks good man. Louvers....another old guy here. I can think back with ease and recall a time when you had to have them on a 3rd Gen Camaro. If you didn't people would think less of you.

2nd on the bushings, front and rear.

keep'em flying!
GTU89

Post by GTU89 »

Why does it have Beretta GT emblems on the side? I thought they removed them from GTU's (Mine doesn't have one)

Looks awesome, is it loaded? How much did you pay?

SummitBalt08

Post by SummitBalt08 »

Great looking GTU! We really should have a Ohio mini meet before the end of summer.

-Shawn
Been on the Beretta Forums since '04
94 Black Quad 5 spd Z26 ->3500 6 spd ZR6

Bfests '11,'12,'14
July 2012 Bnet Calendar
ladz24/z26

Post by ladz24/z26 »

wow that thing is sexy im regretting the time i didnt buy a gtu cuz it had base front bumper and wanted the solid grill

on side note does anybody still make those louvers ? :beer:

if aint broken upgrade it
blackedz26

Post by blackedz26 »

Was this the one for 3k on craigslist? Louvers are still being made according to websites. Range from 179 to 299. :) im ordering mine in 3 weeks.

$750 95 z.. blew up, parted, scrapped
$1500 96 black z.. totaled :(( rip
$675 91 gt 5spd.. sold
Never ending quest to replace black z :D..... pricele$$.. and painful
o
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

What websites?

StreetPerformance.com lists WillPak as a manufacture... but look on their website our car is not listed as a product... I would contact and verify with these listings before placing any order.

http://www.willpak.com/

Update on this one...
Hi Jonathan,

We do have a louver for a 1987 to 1996 Chevy Beretta. Actually 2 applications
Part # 1242 87-96 2dr Coupe
Part # 1329 87-96 2dr Coupe (without 3rd brake light)

We sell through distributors, if you go on our website there is a button and it will take you to the various distributors that we have.
Please let us know if you require anything further.

Thank you
Linda
Willpak

-----Original Message-----
Sent: July 12, 2012 9:31 AM
To: info@willpak.com
Subject: Contact Form Submission

Full Name: Jonathan Chmura
Email: jpchmura@att.net
Company: http://www.Beretta.net
City: Plainfield
State: CT
Zip: 06374
Phone:
Product/Item: Rear Window Louver
Part Number:
Vehicle: 1996 Chevy Beretta
Purchased From:
Date Ordered:
Date Received:

Message: I was wondering if you still made this part number or had any items left in stock. A few websites list this product but some say Sold Out or Not Available and others don't say anything. So I figured contacting you first would be the best thing to do to see if the PN even exists anymore.

Thanks
-Jonathan Chmura
http://www.Beretta.net/forum
Its on the Special Order listing
http://www.willpak.com/wp-content/uploa ... lOrder.pdf

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Burning_Beard

Post by Burning_Beard »

GTU89 wrote:Why does it have Beretta GT emblems on the side? I thought they removed them from GTU's (Mine doesn't have one)

Looks awesome, is it loaded? How much did you pay?

Holy crap, you're right. I can't find any pics of gtu's with the gt badge. I'm freaking out right now.

Window trim is right, mirrors are right, C&C sticker, keys match trunk and doors, but that's meaningless.

Edit: Vin sticker on door is original and correct, but thats just a piece of plastic that can be removed, but there are no tool marks on the plastic piece's screws, or any of the door/hinge hardware on either side.

88_GTU

Post by 88_GTU »

Nice find! We're sittin right arount the same mileage!
J

88 GTU 5spd 67k black
89 GTU 3500/5spd swapped 79k white
08 TBSS LS2 AWD
Robert 89gt

Post by Robert 89gt »

Nice car very clean.Mines not a GTU but it's going to look just like one soon=)

felixGTU

Post by felixGTU »

Very nice GTU I think it looks a little better with the louvers. Where's Ryan (Stylus) he would love to see this GTU.

Chevrolet Beretta GTU/GT
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Someone could have bought those plastic GT badges and stuck them on the door too...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Beret ... 500wt_1413

No one else said it either but the wheels are pointing in opposite directions too...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
GTU89

Post by GTU89 »

Hey, I have those exact mudflaps! I got them from a junkyard for free. How do they look in person?

Looks like the previous owner took good care of it! If you can do it without damaging the paint, you should try and remove the GT emblems. It has the bowtie on the interior door panel, correct?

Burning_Beard

Post by Burning_Beard »

SummitBalt08 wrote:Great looking GTU! We really should have a Ohio mini meet before the end of summer.
Srsly!
3X00-Modified wrote: No one else said it either but the wheels are pointing in opposite directions too...
They were when I got it, but in the last pic they are correct.
GTU89 wrote:Hey, I have those exact mudflaps! I got them from a junkyard for free. How do they look in person?

Looks like the previous owner took good care of it! If you can do it without damaging the paint, you should try and remove the GT emblems. It has the bowtie on the interior door panel, correct?
Those badges are driving me nuts. The PO hasn't responded to my email about them. There is a super micro tiny bit of seperation, just barely enough to see some of the black adhesive, which looks weathered and cracked.

The flaps are just another nice touch on a nice car. I'll take some close ups of them. Beretta's came out when I was in high school, and were always "budget" cool to my circle of friends, 23 years later I have the priviledge of owning my first one.

Yes, the panels have the bowtie. I'm debating on leaving an unattached dash mat on the dash or rockin the warp. I would rather have 4-5 inches of a mat than the whole freaking dash covered by shiny polyester carpet that reflects light back on my winshield. when I come to a decision about that, and source some proper floor mats, I will take some interior pictures.

On a funny note, I have 2 different BERETTA's burned in my winshield. The original font, and an aftermarket that I promptly removed. The original faded and she had another put on. The sun faded the winshield visor tint, and you can faintly see 2 different BERETTA's.