1991 Beretta base / Browser

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
Browser

1991 Beretta base / Browser

Post by Browser »

Ok as my car takes a "little" too much time to put back together, then I have forgotten a lot of things from disassembly :oops:
I think I should start from the beginning about the story of this Beretta. I don't even remember what the year was, when I saw a advertisement for the sale of this Beretta.
(actual picture from previous owner.

I went there to check it out in sometimes autumn and problem was the front left wheel bearing was busted. I got one from junkyard :D and changed it in the night with previous owner. I got the car for around 200€ (240$) and drove it home about 50km-s. There was no ceiling carpet and air con was not working. Everything else seemed fine beside the need cleaning the car from inside and outside. First thought was to clean the car and just drive it, but it didn't happen that way. I did the cleaning and washed every bit of the car, but then I decided that the color was not for me :D.
So again quite every bit of the car was disassembled and then I started to check the car out what to change and what to do with it. I started to check what are the possibilities to buy new suspension parts and else from Estonia. I found 3 donor cars, where I got some parts that are quite impossible to buy from here. As GTU front lip 8) but not the rest of kit. Also I got subframes and some other minor parts.
As the shocks and springs were quite busted, I ordered new set of eibach springs and kyb shocks from US.
As time passes, Beretta got new color as white, some minor modifications and now it's time to put it all back together. As lots of things were taken apart like many years ago, I need some help assembling everything.

For now I need to remove rear axle, sand blast it, new bearings and brake system.
Also change front subframe for sandblasted and powder coated parts. Quite every bit of suspension will be replaced.

For this evening I got some questions about some parts.
1. Can anyone make a picture, how the harness plug, for rear lights, attaches to body? I mean the weather proof plug that is in the boot down left. I tried to figure out how it should attach. I understand that there should be some clip holding it from inside but this is missing for me.
2. What for are the shims between rear/front bumper shocks? nr 19 in the picture. Is it for alignment of rear bumper or does it have some greater effect?

PS! As it has been discussed here, European Opel Ascona C shares quite many bits with Beretta (as for suspension) 8)

GTU89

Re: 1991 Beretta base / Browser

Post by GTU89 »

Good luck on the car! Do you have a more current pic of it?

I can't completely understand what your questions are though, no offense.

Browser

Post by Browser »

Don't mind the pink bucket :D.

Ok I'll explain a little bit. The rear lights wiring harness electric plug is in the boot. From the boot you can disconnect the plug and get the wiring harness through the hole to outside. In the hole, there is a rubber "plug" that keeps the water out of the trunk. The "plug" has some kind of clip, that holds it tight to body. I am missing that clip and would like to see, what it looks like.

Other question is that what are the shims for, that goes under the rear/front bumper struts. Are they for some calibration purpose or something else? I think the diagram shows it better.
Last edited by Browser on Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

themixer

Post by themixer »

great start to this project!

Browser

Post by Browser »

Yeah great start, but the start has taken over 2 years already. If there is somekind of instrument that gives me more time to deal with it :)

Today's plans are to remove the rear axle. Sand blast, powder coat, new brakes, bearings and hoses will be next week. Also will have to find, where the fuel line leaks (somewhere from the top of tank). Any suggestions what lines to use, as I don't find any reasons to order ones from US, if I have all available material here?

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

The wiring bulkhead, if I remember correctly, has a groove on the back side (inside the car) and there is a plastic plate that slides in it to hold it to the body.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Well, I couldn't find a pic of the bulkhead...but here's a shot of my 91 in '09. It looked a lot like yours! Original color was the same...and I didn't like it either. haha

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Browser

Post by Browser »

Yeah it looks like the color was same. As I see you did more preparations that I. For me it was quite difficult to choose what to do with the car. I won't be surprised, when I will put the car back together, then I will disassemble it again in few months to make it more better from somewhere :D.

I have to contact weba sometime to check if he has some components, that I am missing. Sometime, because I need to make a list what I actually need :D

EDIT:
Great. I found a picture from 3x00-Modified thread, but without a clip :D

DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Make sure you hang your doors vertical when you paint them if you are not doing them at the same time. But ordinarily you want to paint them at the same time you do the body, as well as the fenders. Most body places will paint the trims and hidden areas first, assemble the large sections then paint the entire outer body all at once, including the hood and deck lid, etc. Lessens any chance of color variances then when painted separately. Just a thought.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

Browser

Post by Browser »

Ok, so as it looks like, my inside rockers are toast. So any suggestions to order new ones? Preferably including outer. Rockauto has only right rocker.

Browser

Post by Browser »

Probably first person in Estonia owning 2x Berettas :D

Bought 94 GT last friday with red interior.

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

So what is your plan? To keep the 94GT and use the other for parts?
Way to go! I'd bet you are the only one in Estonia with two Beretta's. I have alot of respect for those that have these cars outside the USA. It's got to be very tough to keep them on the road.

keep'em flying!
themixer

Post by themixer »

MORE pics!

SummitBalt08

Post by SummitBalt08 »

There is no such thing as a 94 GT.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

-Shawn
Been on the Beretta Forums since '04
94 Black Quad 5 spd Z26 ->3500 6 spd ZR6

Bfests '11,'12,'14
July 2012 Bnet Calendar
Browser

Post by Browser »

I just got the 94 together so didn't have time to take pictures. It had bent control arm due driving over a big rock, bent steering rod and some damage to wheels. It took all the weekend to find spare parts for the car. Opel Ascona C parts we're bolt on, but didn't find any with this little time (needed the car yesterday). So control arm was hammered back straight and welded. Steering rod got changed to Opel Vectra A steering rod with tie rod end. New brake rotors and pads in front.

Wheel alignment done yesterday and got spare wheels from other Beretta.

It is from 1994 and has GT markings on the interior. So I assumed it is a GT.

Plan is to take parts from 1994 car to 1991 car, but keep the 1994 still going. It just has some parts, that I really need (euro lights, decent front and rear bumper + many other things).