1991 Beretta base / Browser

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
Browser

Re: 1991 Beretta base / Browser

Post by Browser »

Ok some info. Got a stock bushing for rear. Multiplied it and chose nylon for material. New bushings are inside the rear frame, waiting for installation.

As my daily driver Skoda goes for sale, I really need to start on building the 92 for daily driver. So car goes next week to painting (doors and rear fenders). Also will change front left subframe (that is a "little" bit out of place).

So some questions. The fender flares on berettas. 92 car has black ones on front and rear. Both rear ones are basically toast. Are there any interchangeability on these from other cars?
Also same question on the rear number plate holder plastic (that is inside the bumper). That is also toast. Is it better to look for new one, or try to reproduce it from some aluminum and then paint it?
Also ABS is acting quite strange. It doesn't let me brake, when the car is in motion and wheels are turned to right/left. It feels like abs thinks wheels are blocked and activates the pulsation. It has given me quite a headache sometimes, because stopping at junction is quite dangerous. :

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Would that be a wheel sensor problem? That's a new one for me.

You may be able to use a Corsica panel just as patch(for sure not the whole thing). Other than that it's going to have to be off a Beretta.

keep'em flying!
themixer

Post by themixer »

remove the fuse from the abs and try it again there are also some wiring that can be unplugged from the master, the bulb on the dash can be removed very easy. I really hated it on my 1995 it was the first thing i disabled

Browser

Post by Browser »

If I remember, then ABS shared the fuse with something. Don't exactly remember with what.

Browser

Post by Browser »

Ok long time no writings here. Have been struggling to find time to do something with berettas. "daily" driver 92 got new subframes to front, painted the doors and rear arches. Looks quite good. Put a GTU spoiler to front and maybe next week will do something with fender flares (some fiberglass). Have been struggling with problem, that on idle sometimes car dies and idle is quite rough. Oil pressure gauge is going from center to up all the time. Any suggestions? I know that a vacuum line that is running to front bumper (which should end some kind of round canister) doesn't have the canister :D. It flew away when the last owner drove it to some kind of rock. Could that be the reason? What purpose that canister gives?

For the none "daily" driver. Rear axle with nylon bushes is in, car is on wheels again. Tomorrow will get nylon bushes for front control arms. Front subframe, that i took off 2 days ago, looks like this :D

New subframes were welded to little bit stronger, sandblasted, zinced and powder coated. Also stone chip protection. Same for control arms. New ball joints from Ascona C which allow a little more camber on front.

Basically that's it.

weba

Post by weba »

That canister is for storing vacuum.

Browser

Post by Browser »

weba wrote:That canister is for storing vacuum.
So if the canister is out and the line is free, that could be my problem then. I will check it. Is it really necessary there or can the car live with out it? I mean if I just plug the line from there.

Control arm bushings.

JustinsBeretta

Post by JustinsBeretta »

The vapour canister was designed to "catch" the fuel vapours when the engine is turned off and just sitting there, so the next time the car starts it sucks them back into the engine and uses them.
it is an "emissions" thing, you don't really need it to run, it's just there to save the environment.

So how much and where you get new subframes from? i have a 90 GT just collecting dust cuz i stole them from that car to my car. lol

What would it cost to get some of those bushings made and sent here to Canada, haha i dont know anyone who car make that stuff.

1991 Corolla 5spd, R.I.P
1995 Red Blazer R.I.P
1995 Black Blazer R.I.P
1995 Green Blazer R.I.P
1998 Jetta 2.0l 5 spd R.I.P
1998 Chevy Cheyenne 305 Vortec still alive after 280,000km good truck
1994 Beretta work in progress, wish i had more money for it...
Browser

Post by Browser »

"new" subframes were actually out of some old Beretta that I found laying around some states away from me. These were the best I could find. Then just sand blast, welded, zinced and powder coated. Just need to watch that you get subframe for the right gearbox. As I have understood that for manual gearbox there is a linkage for "bone" on the subframe. For automatic it has none.

For the bushings. If only you want them, then I don't see any point of making those and send to you. Transport will kill the price of the bushings. But if you gather a group who wants these, then there's a possibility that I will produce these. Bushings are made out of strong nylon that has lubricant already inside. Sleeves are made out of rust proof steel.

Money pit Beretta

Browser wrote:
weba wrote:That canister is for storing vacuum.
So if the canister is out and the line is free, that could be my problem then. I will check it. Is it really necessary there or can the car live with out it? I mean if I just plug the line from there. (Quote)

Your climate controls and blend doors are run off of vacuum. I think you may be to get away with it, but quick changes may cause a problem. I'd keep an eye out for one or try to get one from the USA.
Last edited by Money pit Beretta on Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

keep'em flying!
JustinsBeretta

Post by JustinsBeretta »

Browser wrote: As I have understood that for manual gearbox there is a linkage for "bone" on the subframe. For automatic it has none.
My auto has the dog bone.
Attachments
2013-07-19 23.40.25.jpg

1991 Corolla 5spd, R.I.P
1995 Red Blazer R.I.P
1995 Black Blazer R.I.P
1995 Green Blazer R.I.P
1998 Jetta 2.0l 5 spd R.I.P
1998 Chevy Cheyenne 305 Vortec still alive after 280,000km good truck
1994 Beretta work in progress, wish i had more money for it...
Browser

Post by Browser »

As the autumn goes on and winter approaches, my daily driver has developed a wet carpet everywhere syndrome. Did the cowl sealing but still the water gets in. I suspect the 2x bulkhead connectors going into the car. What's the best approach to seal them? Scrape everything around them, remove the connectors and clean and then seal?
Checked the connector but didn't figure out in the dark, what's the best way to remove them. How are they seated in there anyway?

Money pit Beretta

I really don't think you are going to remove the connectors. You may have to work around them. These cars also tend to leak on the firewall.

keep'em flying!
weba

Post by weba »

Browser wrote:What's the best approach to seal them?
1) Remove engine&transmission and everything related
2) Remove Dashboard and everything related
3) Remove all the body glue from these areas, and fix possible rust spots, re-glue with quality product.

Then you will have leak-proof front of the car, nothing else works.

Credit for the pictures goes to my Swiss friend, GTZfan. :)