Hey, new here and have some questions... :D

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
Ricersica

Hey, new here and have some questions... :D

Post by Ricersica »

Hello, I was just wondering if I am able to post and ask about my 96 Chevy Corsica or if it has to be about Beretta. I am currently looking for a Beretta but until I find one I am trying to find things for my Corsica.

Question Number 1: My Corsica has the 3.1 Liter SFI motor, and I was wondering is there anyway that I am going to get good performance out of this engine, or am I going to need to replace it with a new one? Also if so then what engine? Thanks.

Question Number 2: I have noticed that my Corsica handles like a boat and I am in need of new suspension and I do want it to be performance suspension, where should I get these parts and how difficult are they to install.

Question Number 3: How else can I add performance to this car?

Thanks everyone for checking this out, couldn't find any other websites based on the Corsica so I looked for sites based on the Beretta. So thanks for the help. :)

themadness

Re: Hey, new here and have some questions... :D

Post by themadness »

welcome!

1) i would first suggest a thorough tune up if you havent already. plugs,fluids, filters, etc.....how many miles do you have? lots of folks here are performance junkies with way better advice than i can give. my best bet though is they might suggest a swap, maybe to a 3400 but dont quote me on that 8)

2) the suspension depends on your purpose for the car. daily driver, low rider, racer, space ship? all relative. my 94 base beretta floats like a magic carpet on wheels. i too need shocks but i will most likely go factory.

3)see number one....and wait for 3X00 to chime in :Search:

i see you are going by "ricersica". expect a good flogging and hazing for using the word "ricer" :D :evil: but its all in good fun :good: :beer: ricer is a four letter word.....with an r on the end

if you have very little tech knowledge as i do, expect to learn alot. these guys know their stuff

cheers :beer:
Last edited by themadness on Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Beretta/corsica... ones got 4 doors, other than that most of the rest is the same, so yeah you are free to post here about it, no problems there.

The 3100 is a good starting base, you can do a few things to it... the .3 displacement going to a 3400 doesn't add a bunch, you get most of the power by simply using the better breathable top end that comes on a 3400. So you could either find a 2000+ 3100 model engine and steal the heads up, or grab 3400 stuff. You'll probably see the same power improvement. After that there are tons of other internal things you could do to the engine, being a 3100 or a 3400. Check out WOT-Tech for info on Cam's, Port work, Pistons, and much more.

If you wish to use 3500 parts on the engine after reading on WOT-Tech you will need to start with a 3400 block. A 3100 block the bore is only large enough to accept 3400 heads. The 3500 head combustion chamber is too large for the 3100 bore.

Suspension... Anything you can read on here about a beretta suspension will apply to the corsica.... Springs are getting harder to find since many aftermarket companies have written off this car and none make any "performance" shocks really specific to the vehicle either. But swaybars and such all bolt up and Addco still sells them.

You also have a 96 so the best thing is any changes you do to the engine you can get a used DHP tuner and tune the 96 corsica file, OR you can grab a 97 monte carlo ECU and use HPTuners suite and tune with that.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Ricersica

Post by Ricersica »

The Madness: Thanks haha. Also yes I know that I am going to hear about my name but eh its true. :p

3X00: Thanks I am currently looking into these parts but also I was just offered a full trade, my 1996 Corsica with 109k for a 1990 Beretta GTZ with a 5 speed transmission and it has 80k on the engine and 130k on the chassis. What do you think?

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Its personal preference really... do you like a quad?

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

The GTZ is a lot sportier, but I had one and I am not a fan of the quad. They are fun to beat on, but I like the overall performance of a v6.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

V6 has nice low end torque, but the Quads are pretty sprinty as well. Pretty funny when a Quad can keep up and in some cases even beat out the V6 on the same body. But the Quads can be a bit more temperamental and fussy, so require a more active maintenance lifestyle.

Obviously the Beretta looks a bit sharper and fun vs the 4 door too. ;)

But either are a decent vehicle. Make sure what you are getting in trade is mechanically as sound as what you have though.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

GTU89

Post by GTU89 »

If I were you I'd do it, personally I hate Corsicas. and as others said, just make sure its in around the same condition as your Corsica though, and be sure to check the rocker area, spring perches and pull the carpet by the taillights in the truck to be sure there is no rust there as well.

Ricersica

Post by Ricersica »

Hmm. Ok. Also I have wanted a stick for a long time.. Can you get a v6 with a 5 speed?

DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

There are a few that came stock, but none after 93 I believe (none of the SFI 3100 setups came with manual options and someone will correct me if I'm wrong). However several people have swapped the cars from auto to manual on the later models, and a few of those were 3100 to 3400 swaps at the same time too.

So they are out there.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

You could get the base model and GT with a V6 and 5 speed up to 1993. Also GTU's (1988-1989) and Indy's (1990) could be had with the 5 speed as well. No V6 GTZ's or Z26's ever came with a 5 speed, only auto's. All quad 4 powered Beretta's were 5 speeds. ;)

'94 Quad 4 H.O. 5 speed Z26, Red & Rare! 1 of 896 Quad Z26's and of those it's 1 of 167 red paint/gray interior!
Need A Quality Used Part? Contact me at Posihead Auto Parts!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Posihead ... 3779691724
Ricersica

Post by Ricersica »

Hmm, so how difficult would it be to convert my Corsica to a manual?

Would it even be worth it?

blackedz26

Post by blackedz26 »

I have a 91 gt i going to sell soon. Where u located? Its a v6 5spd. Old school 3.1. Price will be cheap. If u can trade still id jump all over it and run away with my quad. Corsicas are eh at best imo. Lol but hey if u love it that's all that matters

$750 95 z.. blew up, parted, scrapped
$1500 96 black z.. totaled :(( rip
$675 91 gt 5spd.. sold
Never ending quest to replace black z :D..... pricele$$.. and painful
o
Ricersica

Post by Ricersica »

Huh, well I live in the Rochester area in Minnesota.. xD

Im sure that you live anywhere but close to that. :P

Reese

Post by Reese »

Yay another Minnesotan i have driven both v6 auto and a quad 4 5 speed, both are fun. I despise 4 doors.. no idea why just have never liked them.