Is there a 3.1 expert in the house?

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
Money pit Beretta

Re: Is there a 3.1 expert in the house?

Post by Money pit Beretta »

You can play around here, just watch out for RWD only stuff. :wink:
http://www.engine-parts.com/GMV6/gm28stroker.html

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

What does it matter? RWD internals were no different than FWD... Only the block was different for where the starter went.

As I said before you can run ANYTHING Listed for a 2.8 Camaro the engine is the same structure.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

Cool, I was thinking that the crank was not the same. So he could do the 3.4 if he had alot of money.

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Yes he could do the 3.4, but I'm not sure what heads are on it probably iron heads vs the fwd aluminum ones and they wouldn't line up with the 3.1 intake manifold... Block wise, he would also have to re-drill for the fwd starter location... The best option on using RWD stuff though is to use the pistons available as well as the cams... That's the stuff that makes a big difference... then just port what intakes and heads you have. The 3.4 displacement over a 3.1 is cheesy power gain wise, especially if your keeping the same intakes. But going from 2.8 to 3.1 will change the torque curve and that can be done by simply getting a crank rods and such from a 3.1 3100 or 3400.. they are all the same, pistons did differ though.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

He did say 3.1 so my mind was stuck on aluminum heads. Totally forgot about the 2.8 iron heads. The mind blocks out useless info when you get older(LOL). There are very few here that still run a 2.8.

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

2.8 fwd was not an iron head though. Don't get that confused. the 2.8 Camaro motors were iron heads tho. Thats why i can only assume the 3.4 RWD version is a iron head 3.4L motor to match the RWD intakes.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
ronaconda

Post by ronaconda »

GW...i put in a Comp 260H grind cam in mine and a Comp timing chain. DO NOT use the valve springs though. I made that mistake. I think that you may have to chip the 'puter...i did to be on the safe side...60*v6 or WOT Tech is your friend in that department. Oh, and you can get bolt-on 1.6 rockers out of a 94 3100...no rod guide issues either. The issues are in the valve springs. If you do swap to 1.6 rockers, turn the engine by hand and make sure the springs don't bind.

jking18

Post by jking18 »

Instead of swapping, have you considered a hybrid 3.1? You get the better flowing heads and manifolds without needing a custom mount.

1989 Beretta Base 2.8
Travelor
Global Moderator

Post by Travelor »

I'm going to go the 3.1 tgp engine route. Don't knock it! Upgrade to the turbo and inter cooler though.

1988 GTU
1990 GTZ
Beretta Preservation Society Chairman

"Have you painted your car in a parking lot today?"
DUBS28

Post by DUBS28 »

Very disheartening statement I found "Anything over 230ish whp is not going to keep a 3 speed functioning unless you dump ton of cash into it... then your limit is 300 whp

On a better note, thank you all for your help on this! There has been a ton of great information posted and I really appreciate it.

Keep the info comming :D

GW Bancroft (on FB)
'91 Black GTZ
'93 Quasar GT 5-Speed (Under Construction)
Travelor
Global Moderator

Post by Travelor »

Get rid of the 3 Spd, I compare my old gt to my GTU and realize that it saps a crap ton on power. I miss my stick shift!

1988 GTU
1990 GTZ
Beretta Preservation Society Chairman

"Have you painted your car in a parking lot today?"
DUBS28

Post by DUBS28 »

So 5-speed is the way to go? How about upgrading to a 4 speed auto somehow?
I think a 5 speed would overall make it funner to drive but I like the consistency aspect of the Auto at the track.

GW Bancroft (on FB)
'91 Black GTZ
'93 Quasar GT 5-Speed (Under Construction)
beretta

Post by beretta »

I am a owner of a good old 3.1 5 speed in my 88 base. its been almost 2 years shes been parked so im trying to recall a few things ive done to it.

Inexpensive things.

Aftermarket down pipe this doesnt have the other smaller pipe inside to run down to the converter, i had to replace mine. i had to replace the converter with aftermarket to pass pollution test and my down pipe split open when i tryed having it
expanded to go over the new pipe.

Ported the throttle body and ground down a 3400 throttle plate to fit the new size after porting stock tb to the max.

CAI or short ram intake will help, get rid of the stock air box.

Put good plugs/wires on it

Cant think of anything else atm, ive never opened the engine, i was told it had 100,000 KM when i got the donar car. I have driven it hard and put away wet, and she has eaten a lot of cars that should have killed it. I could keep up with my buddys A4 turbo till i hit the speed limiter, ive blown the doors of a high millage northstar caddy. and many many many others.

Ive never had a 3.1 auto, im sure the 5 speed makes a huge difference.

I plan to keep the 3.1 in my 88, but someday down the road ill probably tare into the engine and experiment with different cam and doing something with the heads and intake.

Cant beat the sound of a good o'l 3.1 firing up snapping and crackling somedays i go out and fire it up just to listen to it lol.

I own the 88 3.1 5 speed and 2 96z26 3100 auto. and the old 3.1 would eat the newer cars any day in low end, its just getting more top end power into the older engine that will give it what it needs, porting the heads and intake and getting a tune to match the added air flow would make it scream, i would focus more on doing something with the top end before i went into doing anything with the bottom end.

jking18

Post by jking18 »

Ill be swapping to a 5 speed soon. Try V6Z24.com under performance there are two articles that tell you what you need.

1989 Beretta Base 2.8
beretta

Post by beretta »

jking18 wrote:Ill be swapping to a 5 speed soon. Try V6Z24.com under performance there are two articles that tell you what you need.
5 speed is the way to go on the older style 3.1 the 3100 isnt a bad motor with a 4 speed auto but is a little laggy, my 3.1 5 speed would eat the 96 3100 for lunch any day. I dont really know how well they go with a 3 speed auto because ive never driven one or owned one but i can imagine how slow it would feel compared to having a 5 speed in there.

My 88 is parked for another year or so because the only insurance i can get right now wont insure that car unless it goes under classical because of the age and is expensive so im just keeping her parked. The trany needs some attention the syncro for 5th and reverse is chewed up in it, was like that when i got it, i just learned to deal with it, but before she goes back on the road i will probably look into rebuilding it.

But if you dont want to spend a lot of money off the start and do small things to improve some power, aftermarket exhaust will help getting rid of the double layer down pipe with a single pipe will help flow, port out the throttle body, get rid of the factory air box those little things will make a noticeable difference. Myself i would like to tare into that old 3.1 and modify some internal parts someday but i have other projects to start and finish first and that car is turn key and drive and mint shape so dont want to get into taring it apart right now and have it sitting in pieces lol.

I wounder what would happen if you put a 3400 crank into the 3.1, i would look into porting the original heads and intake on mine because i would want to keep it the same old looking 3.1. I wonder if the 3.1 intake would bolt up to the 3x00 heads.. you would have to do some serious porting work on the intake to match the runners up but if that worked out it still remain a stock looking 3.1.