Beretta Spiritual successor?

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
Amateur

Beretta Spiritual successor?

Post by Amateur »

I was just thinking that these two chevy concepts are exactally what it needs to revitalize its sport compact segment.

The Chevy TRU 140 is a FWD model that seems like a real successor to what the beretta was:

Then we have the RWD Code Red. Think about it, a rwd sport compact from Chevy...the possibilities are endless!:

What are your thoughts about these. The idea of making them is still a possibility as they recently made their rounds at the 2012 LA auto show a month ago. If I had to choose between the two though, I think I'd take the Code Red, It looks pretty beefy and RWD.

GTU89

Re: Beretta Spiritual successor?

Post by GTU89 »

I really like the first one.

But the second one reminds me of a uglier 1 Series Bimmer.

heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

They were shown at the Detroit Autoshow either 2011 or 2010, I can't remember. Sharp cars though, I agree the red one is a bit too BMW 1 series-ish.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
wi_corsica

Post by wi_corsica »

i hate the small windows that keep getting smaller....I love my big windowed L cars!

88 Corsica Z51 // 90 Corsica Hatchback // 90 Beretta // 91 Corsica
RobertISaar

Post by RobertISaar »

the "code red" has been known to me as the code 130r. GM decide to swap names around?

however, if they put the 140 on a RWD platform, i'm pretty sure i would like that combo the best.

the 130R looks like a top heavy miata to me.

Amateur

Post by Amateur »

^^ it is the code 130r, i just call it the code red for short (it initially was red when I saw it at the chicago auto show).
As for the windows, its the reality these days where designers value design over functionality....I have massive blindspots when changing lanes, but who cares at least I look cool!

It really screams BMW 1 series no doubt, but if chevy builds it, its in competition with the Subie BRZ and FRS. the 140 concept is up against the civic coupe or Volkswagen Golf in terms of similarities. It's a tough crowd either way you slice the cake.

scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

Amateur wrote: Image
ERMERGERD 3X00-Modified, INDUSTRAIL GREY! lol

'94 Quad 4 H.O. 5 speed Z26, Red & Rare! 1 of 896 Quad Z26's and of those it's 1 of 167 red paint/gray interior!
Need A Quality Used Part? Contact me at Posihead Auto Parts!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Posihead ... 3779691724
DanteGTZ

Post by DanteGTZ »

That Chevy TRU 140 is gorgeous! In the last 15 years or so, I've been so down on GM and more specifically Chevrolet because they just aren't building anything worth building. Sure, there were a couple cars that came and went, but nothing that grabbed my attention short of maybe the G8 GXP...

Chevy's problem is that their cars never look enough like the concepts - They come up with a killer concept and then something gets lost in translation when produced... They always get goofy mirrors, goofy handles, lackluster body kits, etc. All the awesome from the concepts just seems to be totally stripped when they actually build the production cars.

If Chevy built the Chevy TRU 140 exactly as shown, I would buy one - Hands down - as long as it was offered with a manual transmission. That's one hot car. The other one is too blaaahh - Who cares if it's RWD - It looks like a 1-series BMW and the FRS/BRZ would probably be more competent overall.

1993 Quasar Quad4 GTZ - Project WTF

Previous Berettas: 90 GT, 93 Quasar GTZ, 93 Garnet GTZ, 93 Aqua GT
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

The Beretta and corsica were midsize cars, and were replaced by the Malibu in 1997. These concepts are compact cars. As of right now, the Malibu is still there, and you can't get a 2dr. Chevy unless you get a Camaro or a Vette. They should make a 2dr. Malibu, or even a Cruze. Monte Carlos are no longer made, and since they stoped them the only Chevy I've seen and actually liked was an '09 Malibu LT2. A 2dr. Malibu is what I think would do it. The interiors in those cars are very nice, and even in a 4dr. they are a good looking car to me. These concepts don't do it for me, they're just too small.

1994 AQUA ZED
RobertISaar

Post by RobertISaar »

i don't know about calling the L-bodies midsized.... i would associate them more like pony cars, just FWD.

weba

Post by weba »

DanteGTZ wrote: Chevy's problem is that their cars never look enough like the concepts - They come up with a killer concept and then something gets lost in translation when produced... They always get goofy mirrors, goofy handles, lackluster body kits, etc. All the awesome from the concepts just seems to be totally stripped when they actually build the production cars.
Word. This is a really big issue and has been like this for ages.

Just like the Feretta had doors that were actually different shape at the bottom, but couple years later when GTZ came out, cheap plastic extensions on the door...

Asylum

Post by Asylum »

weba wrote:
DanteGTZ wrote: Chevy's problem is that their cars never look enough like the concepts - They come up with a killer concept and then something gets lost in translation when produced... They always get goofy mirrors, goofy handles, lackluster body kits, etc. All the awesome from the concepts just seems to be totally stripped when they actually build the production cars.
Word. This is a really big issue and has been like this for ages.

Just like the Feretta had doors that were actually different shape at the bottom, but couple years later when GTZ came out, cheap plastic extensions on the door...
That's what happens when the bean-counters take over.

And in all seriousness there is really not much of a market for two door cars any longer so don't expect them.

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
themadness

Post by themadness »

my father in law and i were half way discussing the four door vs 2 door topic the other day. cavalier, beretta, and monte carlo all have 4 door versions but the they typically look way off from the 2 door. granted the 4 door is aimed at a different demographic but GM would fair better if the 2dr/4dr designs didnt vary so much. a 4 door cav, IMO, looks like it should have a totally different name. if i can live my life with out an SUV or another 4 door i will.

case in point
http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/vehicle-pi ... 02-480.jpg

http://images.dealer.com/autodata/us/st ... C041A0.jpg

these arent the greatest of images but it sort of illustrates what i'm talking about

if they revamped the beretta it would have some huge shoes to fill in my book

snowblindburd
Administrator

Post by snowblindburd »

The Tru140S is a recycled Pontiac concept car: http://jalopnik.com/pontiac-arrowhead/

The Code130R is definitely my favorite of the two (anyone who knows me on facebook already knows this lol). When I saw it in person, I did not want to leave it's side. It reminds me the most of the 90's Subaru Impreza Coupe, as well as the BMW 1 Series. I love both of those cars so that probably explains most of my love for it. And for some reason it just sparks in me the feeling I have for my Beretta.

While the Tru has grown on me a bit, I still don't really like it, lol. Though most of my friends prefer it to the Code as well.

Here's a fun photoshop someone has done of the Code as a Holden:

ShaneLT(ShaneZ26)

Post by ShaneLT(ShaneZ26) »

RobertISaar wrote:the "code red" has been known to me as the code 130r. GM decide to swap names around?

however, if they put the 140 on a RWD platform, i'm pretty sure i would like that combo the best.

the 130R looks like a top heavy miata to me.
i agree! the 140S is by far the better looking of the two. but yes it should be rwd. and enough with the 1.4 turbo. put something bigger. like a v6 turbo or somthing. dont get me wrong i have a cruze with the 1.4t in it and it has alot of go.