Exhauts manifold modifications, parts/stuff?

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
Beretta1234567

Exhauts manifold modifications, parts/stuff?

Post by Beretta1234567 »

Okay, I finally found myself a descent turbo for a descent price.
But my problem is, I can not find any sources for setting up the exhaust manifold on my vehicle. This is why I have not purchased it yet.

I own the 1990 Chevrolet Beretta indy. 3.1L mpfi v6. Auto.
I know the auto will die from the power, but I'm eventually getting a hold of a v6 with a stick so this is not a problem in the future. and I can just rebuild the trans if needed.

Anyways. I have a spare 3.1L v6. and I will built it up for heavy boost when summer time comes, then install it in my beretta.
For now, when I install the turbo, I will set it up for a lower boost seeing as its just the stock engine.
(Changing engines for me is easy)

The turbo I found is a T25/T28 it fits the 2003 Grand prix, has a built in waste gate, which I can modify runs 7 PSI with the current setting.

My issue is I am hesitant to buy it because I do not have a way to attach it to my manifold. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I found this thread:
http://www.beretta.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9328

I like how his turbo is mounted and how his manifold is. I'm looking to do something like that, but I haven't the slightest clue where to get my exhaust manifold parts like his. does anyone know or recommend anything?
I do not know how to weld or have a welder, however I have a friend who has a welder, but He lives far away and I rather not bother him with this if I do not have to.
I figure the part of my exhaust from the turbo to the rest of my exhaust, I can just use standard prebent sections of piping with clamps from the auto store.

Also, I thought of this, should I mount the turbo right behind the engine onto the existing exhaust manifold and then figure out how to rout my intake manifold to it and an inter cooler?
The issue with that is the intake piping can become to long and air friction is bad. But do you think this would work?

I have been looking and reading around, and the engine parts for later rebuilding an engine for high boost, I can do. I can also find the eprom chip and map sensor parts required for this. Its just getting over the custom exhaust manifold. I can not seem to find any universal parts with flanges or anything anywhere, if I can get some help, preferably a simple way around this, it would be much appreciated.

I would really like the mounting onto stock exhaust manifold right behind the engine and next to, maybe somewhat under the firewall idea, But I'm thinking this is not that practical.

BerettaLove32

Re: Exhauts manifold modifications, parts/stuff?

Post by BerettaLove32 »

Where the turbo is mounted in those pics, is the best place to put a turbo on a V6 car. As far as finding a manifold or crossover pipe, you'll have to build a custom one. You MIGHT be able to find exhaust parts off of a 1989/90's turbo grand prix. Even then, I think on your year Beretta there's a tranny mount or something that gets in the way?
You can use an intercooler that won't require too much piping. The turbo would be mounted to the front of the engine bay and the pipes won't have far to go to get to the intercooler.
Someone else who is more experienced on this can give you a more detailed answer, but turbo charging a Beretta can be done but it takes a bit more work than just buying a kit and bolting it on.

Beretta1234567

Post by Beretta1234567 »

Yah I kind of figured. I still can not seem to find anything as far as getting a hold of piping of different bends and legnths.
I really not have to cut up old manifolds and clean them up, I rather buy new piping, but I still have not found any places that sell it, straight or with bends.

I have actually managed to find flanges that match the turbo, which is good.
So far, with the flanges and the turbo and I'm only spending around 300 dollars. My goal is to get what I can for as little as possible. But the problem is I don't want to buy anything until I have all the pieces of my puzzle, and time is running out on some of these parts.
When I posted that earlier, I was posting hoping I will not have to weld custom, but I guess I will. My friend is really experienced at welding, so I'll see if he can possibly bring his things over and help me out. But if he does I'll have to pay him something for it as its a very long drive and that stuff is not cheap to operate as far as the gases, tips, etc...

Ultimately, when the car starts wearing out enough, I'm planning to race it on the tracks, get my use out of it before it dies. At that point, I'll put my turbo in my next car, which is a Beretta. and after that, another Beretta. So I'll defiantly get my money's worth out of it if I do get the stuff.

EDIT:
I've been contemplating a few things, and Realized but have not yet found anything about this. Is it possible to rotate the turbo housing between the exhaust turbine and the intake turbine? Because its pointing in an odd direction on these things. Just a thought if anyone has done it before.

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Not sure if you can use this stuff, but........
http://60degreev6.com/forum/showthread. ... Out-Take-2

keep'em flying!
3400beretta

Post by 3400beretta »

Your best bet is to find some turbo grand prix manifolds and start with them. No matter what you do, it is going to require a lot of custom fabrication and welding. To answer your question, yes you can rotate the compressor side of the turbo, it is called clocking.

Turbo and cheap do not belong in the same sentence. If you want cheap, buy yourself a NOS kit and slap that on. By the time you are all said and done, if you spend less than $3000 doing this, I'll be very surprised. There is literally 100 little things that you will need to complete this job that you aren't even thinking of right now. It isn't an easy thing to do, and once you are done you will still have to deal with some sort of engine management and tuning. That can get VERY expensive, in fact you can spend $2000 on a stand alone ECU setup and hundreds more on dyno tuning just like that.

Also, a 2003 grand prix didn't come with a turbo, so if thats what the guy is telling you, move right along.

Beretta1234567

Post by Beretta1234567 »

3400beretta wrote:Your best bet is to find some turbo grand prix manifolds and start with them. No matter what you do, it is going to require a lot of custom fabrication and welding. To answer your question, yes you can rotate the compressor side of the turbo, it is called clocking.

Turbo and cheap do not belong in the same sentence. If you want cheap, buy yourself a NOS kit and slap that on. By the time you are all said and done, if you spend less than $3000 doing this, I'll be very surprised. There is literally 100 little things that you will need to complete this job that you aren't even thinking of right now. It isn't an easy thing to do, and once you are done you will still have to deal with some sort of engine management and tuning. That can get VERY expensive, in fact you can spend $2000 on a stand alone ECU setup and hundreds more on dyno tuning just like that.

Also, a 2003 grand prix didn't come with a turbo, so if thats what the guy is telling you, move right along.
well, when i say cheap, I mean low cost for the same quality product. I did manage to find a good price on a good turbo, but its a small window of opportunity. i found better than the one i mentioned too.
I'm aware of all the things i will have to do as far as tuning and such. my main objective is get it installed with a small amount of boost and make sure everything works, then modify my spare engine, install it, tune it, etc.
I've looked at my expected costs and everything without the engine being built for high boost, its around 600 dollars. This is all new quality parts and turbo that are listed at a discount price.
If i build up my engine, that will be over 1,000 easy.

I have a bunch of manifold piping that i can clean up to use, I was mostly hoping for universal pieces that I can buy and assemble, then even weld those. But it looks as if i will have to cut up and clean existing pipe. as i have not found a place that sells thick sections of manifold worthy pipe. Basically i was looking for an easy way out on the manifold.

No worries with that turbo, i found a different one. It can easily push up to 25-30 PSI, and its new, its a Garrett turbo, i forget the model, I'm on my phone at the moment.

BerettaLove32

Post by BerettaLove32 »

You don't necessarily have to make new manifolds. You can make a custom crossover piece. You could use regular exhaust tubing that way.

Beretta1234567

Post by Beretta1234567 »

BerettaLove32 wrote:You don't necessarily have to make new manifolds. You can make a custom crossover piece. You could use regular exhaust tubing that way.
oh, i did not think of that.
that means I can just use the existing cross over flanges, buy some exhaust pipe, and then clamp it all together?
then i would only have to weld one piece of pipe to a flange for the turbo, as its a special flange that does not come with a short stub of pipe on it, brilliant.
I can use the heat wrapping to help hid the clamping pipes.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

3400beretta wrote:If you want cheap, buy yourself a NOS kit and slap that on.
HAHAHAHA... Last time I checked everything I have in my setup to make it "RIGHT" is about as expensive if not more expensive than a turbo setup. Granted you can buy a $400 universal kit and slap it in there but it wont last long or perform as it should... It's just like cutting corners installing a turbo setup.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Beretta1234567

Post by Beretta1234567 »

3X00-Modified wrote:
3400beretta wrote:If you want cheap, buy yourself a NOS kit and slap that on.
HAHAHAHA... Last time I checked everything I have in my setup to make it "RIGHT" is about as expensive if not more expensive than a turbo setup. Granted you can buy a $400 universal kit and slap it in there but it wont last long or perform as it should... It's just like cutting corners installing a turbo setup.
How much did your NOS setup cost?
I know they are not cheap.

I'm not really cutting corners, I'm just looking for the lowest price possible on parts and components. But i am not buying cheaply made products, I'm looking at the good products and looking where i can still buy them new and up to date without spending a boat load of money.

I am still deciding between a garrett turbo and a cyclone/typhoon turbo, on each site, it is over 1k, but i managed to find the same ones for 300-400 dollars new.
My issue is I'm also trying to find a turbo with a compatible flange that i can buy that has about 2 inches of pipe already welded to it. which seems difficult. as most flanges i find are just the flange, no portion of pipe welded to it.

EDIT:
What do you think of this turbo?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/T3-T4-T04E-V-BA ... f0&vxp=mtr

I was originally considering a T3/T4, but I'm not sure if it is big enough for the 3.1L
I can easily connect the intake in and out sides with the proper pipes. But the outlet side of the exhaust seems a bit strange, there is no flange, it is a straight pipe sticking out. looks like i would have to somehow clamp the exhaust pipe to it? the exhaust inlet, i found several adapter flanges that work on it. What do you think? also has adjustable waste gate on it and handles i believe up to 22 PSI, that seems plenty for me.
Last edited by Beretta1234567 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I bought a universal kit way back when I started but if you want to include everything I currently have it's well over 2k in just system parts nevermind Engine upgrades I've done to handle and assist it. I just got $750 worth of stuff this year for christmas for it. Granted you can go single fogger nozzle for cheap but its just like doing a cheaper turbo. I was just trying to point out that Nitrous may seem cheap to some but all the same things apply, if you want to do it right and make it as efficent and effective as possible it will cost you.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Beretta1234567

Post by Beretta1234567 »

3X00-Modified wrote:I bought a universal kit way back when I started but if you want to include everything I currently have it's well over 2k in just system parts nevermind Engine upgrades I've done to handle and assist it. I just got $750 worth of stuff this year for christmas for it. Granted you can go single fogger nozzle for cheap but its just like doing a cheaper turbo. I was just trying to point out that Nitrous may seem cheap to some but all the same things apply, if you want to do it right and make it as efficent and effective as possible it will cost you.
Nitrous sounds fun, but i have heard horror stories. lol
That is why i will not use it unless the engine is built strong, and to me, stock engines cant take NOS. :P
I'd buy a universal kit, but they really cost, thats why I'm just planning to buy everything separate.

I added an edit to my previous comment, whats your thoughts on that turbo. Does not seem cheap to me, i found it at a very good price online.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

GHOSTOWLGRID wrote: Nitrous sounds fun, but i have heard horrer stories. lol
That is why i will not use it unless the engine is built strong, and to me, stock enfines cant take NOS. :P

I added an edit to my previous comment, whats your thoughts on that turbo. Does not seem cheap to me, i found it at a very good price online.
That turbo outlet is a V-band flange... Look those up. And from the questions your asking you seem to be trying to find kits that are going to fit... You need to understand if you want a turbo in your Beretta you need to find a Turbo Grand Prix 3.1L engine and use everything from it, OR you are custom fabricating near everything to fit right, including hot side exhaust pipes and intake side pipes... http://www.frozenboost.com will be where you want to get most of this stuff since they have very good prices, as well as near everything necessary for the hot and cold side of things.

I've heard horror stories about turbo's too and the common denominator is the idiot who installs the stuff on the engine and they don't know what they are doing or how to tune. Nitrous is not any harder on an engine than a turbo is, and somewhat less since it's not there all the time the car is driven. And If it makes any difference to what you may have heard my current engine bottom end is all stock parts, Only change I made to that was I put Clevite bearings on it and not even performance style ones. Headgaskets are GM, Pistons are original, rings are original and so on... The cam, cam bearings, head porting, valve job, and intake work is all aftermarket. Also the first engine I ever sprayed with nitrous was a fully stock rebuilt 3400 and I was spraying a 100 shot and getting a 13.8 in the 1/4 mile with no horror stories to speak of. Nitrous has a bad rap just like Pitbulls... some myths just never die, and yes I own a non stereotypical pitbull.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Beretta1234567

Post by Beretta1234567 »

I'm not really looking at kits, although one would be nice.

I'm mainly looking for small premade parts, of different sizes and legnths, bends with flanges i can bolt together, and in the right combo, it would fit.
i guess you could call that a kit. haha

I'm willing to do almost anything except welding basically. I havent access to a welder, and i don't know how to weld, and nobody i know has one.
But i've gotten over that bump, i found connecting pipes that will work and i found some special clamps that i can use.

I"m just having trouble finding a premade flange with a short stub of pipe to fit now, once i find everything, then i can buy all of it.

I do plan to check out the turbo grand prix. once break starts i can go looking in junk yards. but for now, I'm stuck at the university.

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Did you check my link? He is going to trash that car soon.

keep'em flying!