A/C R12 on 90 Beretta 3.1, where do I fill it

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
No Quarter

A/C R12 on 90 Beretta 3.1, where do I fill it

Post by No Quarter »

Time to add some R12, and found a guy that still has it. He told me to find where the nozzles are and remove any stuff that was in the way before I drive to his shop. But I can't find where it's done. Is there anything I have to remove and then the nozzles will be visible?

1990 Beretta GT, 3.1 V6, only 45k miles, 1 owner before me
Daily driver here in Denmark, don't see many Berettas on the road here...
88corsica5spd28

Re: A/C R12 on 90 Beretta 3.1, where do I fill it

Post by 88corsica5spd28 »

It's on the accumulator IIRC. Remove the airbox and you should see it.

No Quarter

Post by No Quarter »

Indeed, thanks

No Quarter

Post by No Quarter »

OK, so I got it filled, but still it doesn't work. The guy filling it with R12 swears there's over 2 lbs on, and that pressure is alright. He concluded that the compressor clutch had gotten stuck from not using during winter, might be. So I didn't want to spend more money, drove home to diagnose myself. Here's what I found:

Took compressor clutch wire off, tested with light, gave weak signal. Didn't have more time that day.

Today
Checked fuse 8 and 9, OK
Checked low pressure switch, hi pressure switch, fan switch, power steering switch, they all seem to work, because when I short them, I can hear the idle speed change, so the computer sees the change. I shorted both lo and hi pressure, still no clutch engagement.
Took clutch wire out and used direct + and -, and clutch engaged, so compressor works. Tested wire again, and while I the first time got a weak signal, this time I couldn't get anything.

So, any ideas what to check next, as to why there's no current to the compressor clutch? In the wiring diagram I see a diode just above the starter relay, could that be the culprit since I had first weak, then no signal? I don't know what I diode is, but I never had one fail on any car before.

?

Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

Check the relay for the compressor clutch?

Cliff Scott
No Quarter

Post by No Quarter »

Relay was defective indeed. Used one of the others on the row, got the clutch to engage. I still think the computer doesn't do what it should, but I won't know for sure until I get the new relay. Thanks

gtuturbo

Post by gtuturbo »

No Quarter wrote:Time to add some R12, and found a guy that still has it. He told me to find where the nozzles are and remove any stuff that was in the way before I drive to his shop. But I can't find where it's done. Is there anything I have to remove and then the nozzles will be visible?
Just convert it to R134a. My 88 has had this for 10 years or more. Outlet temperatures only went up 4 degrees.
Reclaim what R12 is left, add POE oil and charge it by weight to 90% of R12. That is all I did.
If you want to change the accumulator with the different desiccant and add a high pressure cutout switch you surely can for an improved margin against failure, but I haven't seen any adverse effects over time.
The synthetic oil is better for the old seals anyhow.

Paul Keller
1988 Chevrolet Beretta GTU (turbocharged) (bought new in August 1988)
1966 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT
2017 Kia Sorento V6 AWD
2017 GMC Acadia SLE-1