Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
92GT

Post by 92GT »

Hello everyone, new member here. I found this site a couple months ago and found quite a bit of useful information here so thought I'd register and say hi. As the username suggests I have a '92 GT, black, base 2.2L, 5 speed. I bought it brand new from the dealer and have been driving it ever since. 140,000 miles and it's never given me any major problems, until this month. It quit on me 3 weeks ago and wouldn't restart. Turned out to be no spark, so I just replaced everything; crank sensor, module, coils, plug wires and plugs. Purring like a kitten now.
I did replace the alternator and thermostat a few years ago, but they weren't a big deal. It does have a couple issues though. I've got an intermittent ABS problem that I haven't bothered to diagnose yet, it's got the infamous water leak, that from reading this site I think is probably from the firewall seam under the cowl but I haven't dug into it yet. And unfortunately the clearcoat is pealing from the hood, roof, trunklid, and spoiler. But both sides look great, just a few surface scratches that I could buff out. And of course the taillights and rear filler panels are cracking and showing their age.

Here's a pic taken the day I bought it.
beretta-1.jpg
Here it is with with the window tint and louvers.
beretta-2.jpg
And you can just make out the bra in this one.
beretta-3.jpg

92GT

Re: New Member

Post by 92GT »

Once the weather gets nice again around here I'll clean her up and get some current photo's posted. Looking at these old pics makes me kinda sad that it's not that sharp looking anymore. One day I hope to get it back looking almost as good as that.

Interesting story about how I got it, it was meant to be. In early '92 I decided I wanted a black Beretta GT. I looked all over around the Seattle area and couldn't find one. In fact there were only a couple GT's available around here at the time and they were both Teal. I didn't want Teal so I kinda gave up figuring I would look again when the '93 models came out. A few months later in May my grandfather passed away and I flew to Idaho for the funeral. While I was there my uncle had to go to the Chevy dealer for something so I rode along. While he was inside I walked around the lot and, low and behold, there was this black GT. And it was $3,000 cheaper than the Teal ones back home. I wasn't really thrilled about the motor since I was wanting a V6, but after test driving it I decided it had enough pep for me. So I gave them a $100 bill and booked a flight home to get financing. Flew back with the check and picked it up. I've never regretted it. It's a fun car to drive, has been very dependable, and ya can't beat the gas mileage.

Stencil
Administrator

Post by Stencil »

Nice ride man! Super rare model too, as the "non-V6 GT" wasn't a popular option. I think this is the only one I've ever seen with a 5 speed that's for sure. Let me know if it ever finds it's way for sale :)

-Aaron
'92 Beretta GTZ 2.3L 5M - Undergoing "unibody off" restoration ATM (almost done!)
'93 Beretta GT "MISEREE" 3.1 5M
'95 Beretta Base DGGM 2.2 5M
'96 Beretta "FAUXZ26" 2.2 5M
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

I was gonna say the same thing... GT's with 2.2's were rare, and being a 5spd makes it even rarer!

What you have there, is, in my opinion, the perfect look for a GT. Black on black is teh sex for those GT's... my personal favorite by far!

Very sharp car!

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

heavywoody wrote:I was gonna say the same thing... GT's with 2.2's were rare, and being a 5spd makes it even rarer!
I agree!
heavywoody wrote:What you have there, is, in my opinion, the perfect look for a GT. Black on black is teh sex for those GT's... my personal favorite by far!
Yes, & it aint a crime!
heavywoody wrote:Very sharp car!
x2

_________
-------------
92GT

Post by 92GT »

Thanks for the comments guys. :)

I seriously doubt it will ever be for sale in my lifetime. I tell everyone I'm going to drive it until the wheels fall off, then I'm going to bolt them back on and drive it some more...lol
I also tell people that even if I won the Mega Millions lottery I wouldn't sell my Beretta. I'd probably restore it to like new condition and keep it.

It's been the best car I've ever owned by far. It's good to find others who appreciate Beretta's as much as I do.

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Very nice! I sure learned something there....never thought there ever was a 2.2L GT.

keep'em flying!
92GT

Post by 92GT »

It would be interesting to find out the production numbers. I bet there weren't a lot of 2.2L GT's built. I was rather surprised about the 2.2L in it myself since if I had ordered a GT it would have had either the Quad4 or a V6. Would never have thought to order a GT with the base engine.:shrug:

The other thing I've always wondered about is what was it doing on a lot in podunk Idaho? That's pickup truck and cowboy hat country, this car just seemed out of place there. But I've always suspected Universe put it there for me to find. :D

themixer

Post by themixer »

i want louvers, great looking car!

weba

Post by weba »

Wow, Original owner, I salute you! :)

I'm curious, why did you select Beretta back then, and have you been daily driving it since, or do you also own other cars?

92GT

Post by 92GT »

I don't really remember anything specific that attracted me to the Beretta, other than I've always been a chevy guy, it was the size car I was looking for, and I really like the looks.(black GT most of all, of course)

It was/is my daily driver, but I don't drive a whole lot anymore. The first 5 years I used it to commute to work but in '97 I left that job and started freelance working from home. Sometimes I don't go anywhere for days. It hadn't been started for 5 days prior to the day it broke down. Also in '97 I bought a new Harley so that's also helped to keep the miles down...lol

92GT

Post by 92GT »

Kinda embarrassed to post these pics. This is what it looks like sitting in my driveway right now. It's certainly showing it's age. It does look a lot better if I detail the black plastic trim pieces but I am out of Black Chrome right now. Have to go get some Black WOW or something. But you can see how ugly the clearcoat pealing is on the top surfaces.
IMG1.jpg
IMG2.jpg
IMG3.jpg
I've half a notion to just sand the rest of the clearcoat off of those surfaces, it wouldn't look as bad if it was just black with no clearcoat. But I haven't gotten up the nerve to take sandpaper to my car yet. :(
Attachments
IMG2.jpg

Koots

Post by Koots »

I wish they made rear window louvres still, I want one for my Corsica.

It looks period correct and badass on your car, I really like it.

Plus, kudos for sticking with the 2.2L. I've put a lot of work into mine and lots in the future, but I suggest a 95-97 Cavalier header (I bought one for a 98+ and had fitment issues with the oil tube) at least, should liven up the ol'girl. Most say it makes a decent bump for even the 2.2 S10's. They can be had for $120 on ebay, they aren't the greatest ever, but are still just as good as more expensive name brands.

whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

Beautiful car man, and welcome! Hold onto this bad boy, and keep it a four cylinder no matter what!

1994 Chevy Beretta, mild 3500 swap.
https://youtube.com/@MurphRocks86?si=mpCQc0DnEitPx3Jg
92GT

Post by 92GT »

Koots wrote:I wish they made rear window louvres still, I want one for my Corsica.

It looks period correct and badass on your car, I really like it.
They still have them listed here...

sfxperformance (dot) com

But that's a whole lot more $$ than I paid for mine for sure.