Is Facebook Killing online automotive forums?

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Is Facebook Killing online automotive forums?

Post by 3X00-Modified »

A good read...

Is Facebook Killing Online Automotive Forums?

The big issue I see is there is a major shift to facebook but facebook is not adapting to accept that shift and creating ways to archive or search previous data easily. Or pin stuff and not have it auto hidden for that matter...

Another additional part I read on another forum...
Agree, but I believe that this is a relative short term issue.

We were fairly immune to the impact of FB up until about a year ago. However I am already watching groups take a toll on each other. FB groups fracture communities which then further fracture themselves as personalities clash and someone feels they can create a new group (with the same content goal) better. Every day, another competing group with the same content appears. I just can't see that as sustainable.

FB's strength is in its convenience and its weakness is its content transience. In comparison, I believe a forums strength is its persistent content and volume of visitors.

Trying to find an informative "thread" in one of the plethora of FB groups in our sector is a nightmare because FB controls the order and visibility of the content. One day its there, the next minute, you can't find it . So while FB is constantly hosing out new noise to keep its users attention, my forums enjoy strong search engine results and a steady stream of new blood.

Finally, though I haven't looked to heavily into this, I believe FB users are aging. Demographics < 25 are in decline (while those over 55 are growing). My kids and their friends have no interest in having their group post liked by granny and gramps. And they are the internet majority of the future.

10 years ago, forums were the only decent way to engage each other. Now FB is. Tomorrow, something else will be. Its that next one I am more concerned with :)

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Re: Is Facebook Killing online automotive forums?

Post by woody90gtz »

All the scattered data on fb is hard to comb through. That's for sure.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Most forums are constantly hammer on posters to "use the search" or bashing the new post in some way (negative energy) .

If forums accepted, not cared of the content as much (not a "all or nothing" implying) then social networks like Facebook might see some challenge.

_________
-------------
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

What the Hell is Facebook?

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
weba

Post by weba »

It's a company that's making profit of you and everything you post there.

I'm keeping anything I put there at bare minimum, but still have an account, because leaving out would mean leaving many other things too, like connections.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

1988GTU wrote:Most forums are constantly hammer on posters to "use the search" or bashing the new post in some way (negative energy) .

If forums accepted, not cared of the content as much (not a "all or nothing" implying) then social networks like Facebook might see some challenge.

The same reaction happens on the Facebook community... Many users tell people to search google (including myself) or reference the forum and to stop asking stupid questions... That reaction will happen no matter the medium used if people continue to expect everyone to spoon feed them. I look at that as a completely different issue and it's more of a generation problem. So many in the younger generation just can't understand the aspect of searching for something. The internet has made everyone stupider as the time as progressed. I grew up with it in a time where if you needed to find any info you could easily search it and reference it online. It's how I do most of my own troubleshooting and testing at work and with my car... Yet today's generation of kids who are either still in HS, or college at the moment will outright ask you how to do something and expect a full write up sent to them even if it's already been posted somewhere. Or if the needed FAQ doesn't show up in the first 3 results if they actually use the search function then they have "searched all over and can't find anything". But I digress... That is a completely different problem... and probably perpetuated by Facebook and it's "instant response" environment.

Eric, stay uninformed and away from FB as long as you can... ;)

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Apery reactions just spins the wheels inhibiting the chance for any positive progression towards a resolution to reviving the forums. It is unfortunate that in order to try and exercise any ideas may have a higher chance to experiencing the undesired generation behaviors.

Responding to the lack thereof “mannerisms” can be approached in such a way that might not tax your mental strength when exposed to such threads.

I know, it’s easier said rather than done. At this point, what else has been executed, if anything? Has anything potentially executed yielded sought after results? If yes, then why have those tactics not been implemented across the forums?

_________
-------------