Bunch of newbs

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
mcgavinz26

Bunch of newbs

Post by mcgavinz26 »

Well now, saying its not worth it, that is very subjective.  Hundreds of dollars on polished intakes, larger throttle bodies, and the basic upper end equipment is what I would say is not worth it.  Spending lots (over $1000 to me) of money to make a beretta look hot is definitely not worth it, its a beretta, it can only be good looking... for a beretta.  At the end of the day its still a beretta.

I would say that doing things like transmission swaps, suspension upgrades, engine swaps, computer swaps, and power adders, can be very worth while.  You can learn a lot from each of those if you plan your attack well and just do it.  Its hard to put a price on what you will learn from doing these things.  To me, racing is racing, it doesn't matter what you're in.  The bad thing about the beretta is that you are just fighting physics with the front wheel drivetrain.  To get good results you sacrifice ride quality most times.  In my area, with the roads the way they are, thats a big deal unless you just want to go to the track with the car, which isn't what i'm into.

For me its worth it for the feeling driving down the road knowing I put it together.  I don't care whats on the inside.  I don't care whats on the outside.  I don't think its a badass car.  I just enjoy knowing I did it.  
3400: $260
getrag 282: $275 (i got ripped off)
all the little extras: ?
If you do it right the first time, you can tell that these "big" mods don't cost very much.

http://www.speedlimit88.com
1994 Z26 - 3400, 5spd, supercharged, propane, megasquirt - RIP
1988 Fiero GT - 5psd, LX9, M90, Megasquirt
1999 Buick Regal GS -daily driver
blindmandesigns

Bunch of newbs

Post by blindmandesigns »

(mcgavinz26 @ Jul. 18 2006,09:15)Q
U
O
T
ESpending lots (over $1000 to me) of money to make a beretta look hot is definitely not worth it, its a beretta, it can only be good looking... for a beretta.  At the end of the day its still a beretta.

I would say that doing things like transmission swaps, suspension upgrades, engine swaps, computer swaps, and power adders, can be very worth while. ÂÂÂ

You can learn a lot from each of those if you plan your attack well and just do it.  Its hard to put a price on what you will learn from doing these things.  To me, racing is racing, it doesn't matter what you're in. ÂÂÂ

For me its worth it for the feeling driving down the road knowing I put it together.  I don't care whats on the inside.  I don't care whats on the outside.  I don't think its a badass car.  I just enjoy knowing I did it. ÂÂÂ

3400: $260
getrag 282: $275 (i got ripped off)
all the little extras: ?
If you do it right the first time, you can tell that these "big" mods don't cost very much.
Exactly what I was thinking.  I like working on cars, making them run better, maybe getting the next thing up the line to help it handle better.  My 91 has quite a few things on it suspension wise... Eibachs were 180 shipped the KYB's were around 160 shipped... those were the most expensive... got the external sway bar from my 88GT on it... a strut tower brace and rear shock tower brace I got for 5 bucks for both at the yard... tons of stuff.

Biggest thing was paying 400 for a 94 getrag with the better FDR which had 12,000 miles on it.

I picked up a free quad about an hour away which is being picked clean for good parts

I have tuning hardware/software to change the values of the quad's EPROM... which can be used with anyting. (www.moates.net)

I am slowly picking up peices for the turbo project and having a friend who knows how to use a MIG welder is a huge benefit.

I love my cars, they treat me good because I treat them good so they are definitely lasting.

mcgavinz26

Bunch of newbs

Post by mcgavinz26 »

The real point is that the first 7 or 8 posts in this topic are the funniest things I've read in a while, and thats what really matters.

berettajunkie1991

Bunch of newbs

Post by berettajunkie1991 »

i know how you feel i drive to high school saying my gtz is a POS which it is not by the way they say it is slow and gay i just say i built the motor and it is still going hard and strong looks are nice but the soundness of the car is what matters to me to know that wheel is not going to take off on the highway! and berettas do make very nice sleepers!

mcgavinz26

Bunch of newbs

Post by mcgavinz26 »

(berettajunkie1991 @ Jul. 22 2006,02:09)Q
U
O
T
Ei know how you feel i drive to high school saying my gtz is a POS which it is not by the way they say it is slow and gay i just say i built the motor and it is still going hard and strong looks are nice but the soundness of the car is what matters to me to know that wheel is not going to take off on the highway! and berettas do make very nice sleepers!
soundness?  Are you sure its highschool and not middle school you're driving to?

berettajunkie1991

Bunch of newbs

""soundness""  meaning sturdy, like a rock, like not going to fall apart, like i really care about grammar sometimes.

Main Entry: 1sound
Pronunciation: 'saund
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English gesund; akin to Old High German gisunt healthy
1 a : free from injury or disease b : free from flaw, defect, or decay
2 : SOLID, FIRM; also : STABLE
3 a : free from error, fallacy, or misapprehension b : exhibiting or based on thorough knowledge and experience c : legally valid d : logically valid and having true premises e : agreeing with accepted views : ORTHODOX

thank you merriam webster!

paintgod93

Bunch of newbs

Post by paintgod93 »

(berettajunkie1991 @ Jul. 23 2006,01:09)Q
U
O
T
Ewhat matters to me to know that wheel is not going to take off on the highway!
Oh yeah.......
Like THAT has never happened before.

1996 zed26 Worst
2000 Katana Better
2006 Gsx-R Best
wicked-irocz

Bunch of newbs

Post by wicked-irocz »

playing with a beretta these days is cheap.  You can get a very nice car for $4000 and put a 3400 in for $600 after everything and there are many cheap suspension upgrades to be found in the yards or here.

What other car out there has the ability to gain 20 hp by means of a 30000 mile motor for less than $600?  not even hondas are that cheap.

I know my car is slow and I have more money into it than its worth but I love the looks, fuel economy, interior, and the power.  Id rather spend some time and money to make it mine than have a new car.  In fact my Z26 is the newest of the 3 vehicles I have though it has the least amount of money into it.  77, 89, 94.

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
berettajunkie1991

Bunch of newbs

amen to that i love old cars i dont like new ones cause you will either void the warranty or they all look the same. just like oh wait a " honda civic" even though my 3.1 only gets about 20-21 to the gal im satisfied with that plus if you have a new car there is nothing to fix and i would get bored.

CoolZ26

Bunch of newbs

Post by CoolZ26 »

I hardly visit this board anymore but I saw this topic and had to come in. ÂÂÂ Anyway, a persons perspective on a car is always going to be different. ÂÂÂ I remember when I turned 16 and got my Z26 I thought it was cool. ÂÂÂ I did stuff to the car performance wise for the first two years, and then I learned more about cars and realized what I was doing.  Everyone thinks their first car is the best thing on the raod. ÂÂÂ After I spun a bearing I went for a different car. ÂÂÂ Anyway, the jist of my post is saying to each their own.

'04 RSX Type S
14.2@99mph w/ horrible 60'
Injen CAI
Hondata ECU reflash
Hondata IMG
Greddy EVO 2 exhaust
DC Raceheader
ESMM
Eibach Sportlines
AIM= andy4483
KFLO 93 GT

Bunch of newbs

Post by KFLO 93 GT »

How are you liking the Rsx?  That set up looks a lot like one I saw at the track last fall.  Pretty much identical mods.  He was throwing down 13.9s at 100mph.  Ever since then I've wanted one, so I just had to ask you how much do you like yours?

93 GTs
CoolZ26

Bunch of newbs

Post by CoolZ26 »

I like it.  I use it as commuter car, and did some mods to make it quicker.  Realisitcally the amount of money I have in it is minimal.  I still get about 30mpg with a mix of highway and city driving.  The car has no low end power, peak horsepower is around 7600rpm. ÂÂÂ

As far as the car in general, the K series responds amazingly well to mods for an n/a motor.  The 05+ Type S has mabye 10more hp stock and with an cold air intake and a good driver they are good for low 14s.  With a race header they are in the high 13s.  I should be at 13.9 or possibly better, but I couldn't cut a decent 60' time with my tires. ÂÂÂ

I like the car but need to get something rwd for my next car.  So this should last me another 1-2 years and then I'll pick up something else.  I really wish they weren't getting rid of the GTO until 08, I'd definitly get one.  There are not many options in that price range anymore.

'04 RSX Type S
14.2@99mph w/ horrible 60'
Injen CAI
Hondata ECU reflash
Hondata IMG
Greddy EVO 2 exhaust
DC Raceheader
ESMM
Eibach Sportlines
AIM= andy4483