Project: Slideways z26

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
Barry
Global Moderator

Re: Project: Slideways z26

Post by Barry »

bonecrrusher wrote:If if uses the same slave cylinder as the T56 - checkout the Tick Performance Speed Bleeder - I have one on the C6 - and it helped out when I did the clutch a year or so ago.

Trans work blows - I'm gathering my third set of trans/diff for the Vette - and my setup is mostly OEM!
Good call on the speed bleeder. Ill get that along with a -3an adapter for the pressure side so I can just run a normal line without that funky fitting

Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

woody90gtz wrote:Ok, now I get it. Looks like minimal bumpsteer, too.

I'm brainstorming a way to make a custom pilot bushing on the lathe for my FWD trans. Maybe get rid of that god damn input shaft rattle.
The crank bore is ~.829". You could make a stepped bushing and maybe turn the input shaft down a little to gain some space. Though I dont think it will help the rattle, as the clutch is engaged in neutral. I always thought it was the gears and slop inside the trans. But it should take some load off the input shaft while its getting a good beating

Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

I put the trans back in and checked the starter clearance with the beretta flywheel. EEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKK

Oil filter, OPSU, Starter, Steering shaft. Talk about cutting it close. This exhaust manifold is going to be a PITA

Mocked up the wilwood pedals. There backward facing master, so no firewall work needed. As I have NO space there.

Shifter location is perfect. Ill probably buy an off the shelf Pro5.0 shifter to tighten it all up. The tunnel is all hacked apart again for the new engine placement. Ill start on rebuilding this soon now that I am happy with engine placement.

Steering angle is great. Geometry looks great. Very pleased with how this version of front suspension came out.

So next project is finishing the steering column I guess. I want to weld most of it because the set screws feel sketchy. Then finish the pedals and tunnel and get a seat back in this thing.

Last drift event is this weekend. So I should have some more beretta time but the drift car needs a full rebuild and so do 2 of my dailys :(

bonecrrusher

Post by bonecrrusher »

Can you put in a newer mini starter to gain more room?

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z51
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
PGTMR2

Post by PGTMR2 »

I'm not sure if you follow Cleetus Macfarland's YouTube channel. But, he just put one of those slaves in and had to cut more clearance for the slave... after he had it all back together. One of his hoses ended up rubbing. It may not be the same but it couldn't hurt to see the issue he had. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F7edUEJUIc Do it for Dale!

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

This is some awesome work. :good: Professional-level fab work along with the engineering skills equals Beretta greatness!

I do have some experience mixing and matching 3rd and 4th gen F-Body stuff with the Berettas. The 3800 T-5 is WAY stronger than the 2.8/3.1 from a third-gen, mainly the input shaft. I used a 4th-gen flywheel and pressure-plate on my GTU's 3800 with a Beretta clutch-disc when I did the 282 conversion. It wouldn't hold the torque, so I replaced it with a Stage-3 clutch set for the Beretta, and the friction-disc was again replaced with a stage-3 Ford 3.0/4.0 Ranger friction-disc for the F40 Six-speed when that went in. It is all very interchangeable, so if you want something off-shelf, just get a clutch-set for the 3800 Camaro if you use that T5, or one for the 3rd gen if you use that one, they all fit the flywheels interchangeably.

Edit:As a side-note, the 3800 F-body cars still use a heavier, thicker flywheel than the Berettas do -about 3/8 inch thicker. So, either space the throw-out bearing closer to the flywheel (which your mod may have already done), or shim the flywheel towards the clutch (or mil-down the bellhousing, but that is too much material to take off). You might get away with less spacing, but be careful. Beware over-extension of the slave cylinder, as the seal will be destroyed from just one time.
Last edited by Rettax3 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

bonecrrusher wrote:Can you put in a newer mini starter to gain more room?
That looks like the mini starter already.

crap's tight!

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Rettax3 wrote:This is some awesome work. :good: Professional-level fab work along with the engineering skills equals Beretta greatness!

I do have some experience mixing and matching 3rd and 4th gen F-Body stuff with the Berettas. The 3800 T-5 is WAY stronger than the 2.8/3.1 from a third-gen, mainly the input shaft. I used a 4th-gen flywheel and pressure-plate on my GTU's 3800 with a Beretta clutch-disc when I did the 282 conversion. It wouldn't hold the torque, so I replaced it with a Stage-3 clutch set for the Beretta, and the friction-disc was again replaced with a stage-3 Ford 3.0/4.0 Ranger friction-disc for the F40 Six-speed when that went in. It is all very interchangeable, so if you want something off-shelf, just get a clutch-set for the 3800 Camaro if you use that T5, or one for the 3rd gen if you use that one, they all fit the flywheels interchangeably.

Edit:As a side-note, the 3800 F-body cars still use a heavier, thicker flywheel than the Berettas do -about 3/8 inch thicker. So, either space the throw-out bearing closer to the flywheel (which your mod may have already done), or shim the flywheel towards the clutch (or mil-down the bellhousing, but that is too much material to take off). You might get away with less spacing, but be careful. Beware over-extension of the slave cylinder, as the seal will be destroyed from just one time.
Good info here. You are positive a RWD 3.8 FW will fit the LX9? For some reason I thought it had 2 extra bolts but I am probably wrong.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Sorry no, I am positive the flywheel WON'T fit your crank -yes 3800s use an 8-bolt mounting pattern. BUT, the 3800 clutch-kit WILL bolt onto the flywheel for a 60-degree V-6. That Camaro flywheel IS thicker, as noted above in the 'Edit', by ~ 3/8 inch, so spacing the concentric slave closer to the flywheel is either mandatory, or at least a good preventive measure. :good: Flywheel diameters are the same, ring-gears are the same, clutch pressure-plate mounting-points are the same.

I have a 4th-gen 3800 T5 on a shelf in my shop, a flywheel and a couple of spare clutch sets, plus lots of 60-degree stuff handy -let me know if you need anything measured or test-fit, if you don't have all the components.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Rettax3 wrote:Sorry no, I am positive the flywheel WON'T fit your crank -yes 3800s use an 8-bolt mounting pattern. BUT, the 3800 clutch-kit WILL bolt onto the flywheel for a 60-degree V-6. That Camaro flywheel IS thicker, as noted above in the 'Edit', by ~ 3/8 inch, so spacing the concentric slave closer to the flywheel is either mandatory, or at least a good preventive measure. :good: Flywheel diameters are the same, ring-gears are the same, clutch pressure-plate mounting-points are the same.

I have a 4th-gen 3800 T5 on a shelf in my shop, a flywheel and a couple of spare clutch sets, plus lots of 60-degree stuff handy -let me know if you need anything measured or test-fit, if you don't have all the components.
Awesome! Thanks for this info. I only have s10 and FWD stuff here to play with. Good to know the 3.8 PP will fit the beretta flywheel, so I can run a disk that's just a tad bigger.

Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

How is this thing coming along?

88 Beretta CL - your average grandma car.. Ls1 swap in progress
77 Celica - needs an engine swap
96 Geo - 1.0L, Cam, 3 angle, magnaflow, Koni, coilovers.
86 Subi - Supercharged @7psi
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Alxsmt wrote:How is this thing coming along?
I recently started working on it again 2 weeks ago. Making lots of progress. Put about 30 hours of labor into it, relocating the steering rack again, new motor mounts, new cradle. All new plumbing for brakes, clutch, fuel lines, etc. It starts and drives again. Working on a cooling system and exhaust system now.

I am hoping to do some burnouts in the next coming weeks. I usually put updates on my instagram story. IG getyourspankon

Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

Man I havnt looked at this thread since I asked you that I guess.. Glad your still making progress! Now that I have IG Ill add you

88 Beretta CL - your average grandma car.. Ls1 swap in progress
77 Celica - needs an engine swap
96 Geo - 1.0L, Cam, 3 angle, magnaflow, Koni, coilovers.
86 Subi - Supercharged @7psi
stephg027

Post by stephg027 »

berettaboi wrote:DO IT! cool stuff man. yeah i suppose you'll be making the car unibody much stronger by adding a cage/framing on the interior. i know your 3500 is in good shape, but to make it easy, you meilleurs credits immo should just go for a camaro 3800 and 5spd (are these trannies hard to find? and are they decent quality?), maybe adapt the superchacha from the grand prix etc... or turbo, for some more 'i hate tires, burn em' power.
I've been using their Stainless Steel Blackener

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

So, where's all this progress?

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube