Project: Slideways z26

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: Project: Slideways z26

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Last I checked even being simply a drift car, setups are quite important... But I could be wrong.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Could you notch the "frame rail" to get better suspension angles like the lowrider truck guys do?

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Setup isn't that important to me, I'm used to drifting bent cars. My last car was a joke with a bent shock tower and control arm.

I think wicked iroc is joking. I didnt know rotational center can be anywhere but the ground, and I am not even sure what the other thing is. But I don't know all that much about suspension design.

I thought about notching but that will leave the front mounts low and that's a tough problem to solve.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Rotational center is not the ground, it's greatly dependent upon all of your suspension geometry... Trust me, I tried to read one of Larry's auto-x books and setup guides for roundy round cars... Your roll center could end up above or below the ground and left or right of the center of the car, and the front and rear could/can have two different roll centers.

http://www.circletrack.com/howto/1816_f ... index.html

Stuff like this will greatly determine how much actual "control" you have over your drifting car, this is why I say that the setup should still be very important, since your trying to get the rear to break free and drift, but at the same time controlling every aspect of it... More than just throwing her in the turn and flattening the gas.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Yeah yeah yeah. I don't have to time to reinvent the beretta here, car needs to be on the track by April.

I trust Nissan. The only geometry I'm changing is roll center and possibly subframe angle. The subframe is 100 percent stock.

Front suspension will be the disaster part. Part gm part BMW and whatever else fits

Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Don't get me wrong, rear traction is great for drifting. It lets you hold higher speeds and it's more forgiving to spinning out, but it also takes a greater commitment.

But my geometry is close enought to a s14 I don't see any problems. If I could do what I did with a 155 Hp car there will be serious crap happening in the beretta

berettaboi

Post by berettaboi »

yeah i dont see too much changing because he has taken the complete rear subframe including suspension parts from the nissan, correct? so you are keeping the original aspects of that suspension setup. so the only thing that will really change is the wheelbase, (and i'm not even sure that is very far off), and the strength of all of the custom mounting resisting the stress of being thrown around... make it strong!

the car will feel different than the nissan for sure, but step into a mazda miata, you have to get used to that too before you start pulling 40mph (or more!) drifts... if you care about yourself and the car that is... therefore it will just be something you adjust yourself to, or adjust a few add ons if need be to get it feeling right.

4th one's a charm, 5th one is, beginnning to sound like this is an addiction...
95 black z26, '96 White z26 awaiting new life, and 2.5 mazda trucks
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Weight distribution has changed greatly, it won't be the same as the nissan. Once he starts to mess with it I'm sure he will start to see the differences.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

In the third person only of course

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

The camber will change will the arms at a different ride height angle...but if that can be aligned at the Beretta's ride height it may not be an issue.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Most of the arms will be aftermarket anyway but I'm cool with like 3 degrees camber. Wears high profile tires much better

el_roy1985

Post by el_roy1985 »

Can't wait to see you get the engine mounted up with the trans. I've thought long and hard about a RWD conversion (still would love to do it.), and it involved a lot of cutting into the center tunnel for room for the transmission.

Get this thing done, a drift Beretta would be sick. We need videos.

3400/5 speed, internet Tune, FFP UDP, Billet/poly mounts, ported intake manifolds, WAI, 2.5" mandrel exhaust w/ dp, Borla ProXS, Intrax, KYB, poly front end kid, welded a-arms, strut, shock and sub-frame braces.
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I'm curious to see what he has planned for the tunnel as well... We have space for an AWD driveshaft setup, but not so much a full bell housing and trans.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

He's planning a half custom tunnel. Hopefully once the tank is out the driveshaft will come through the existing tunnel, and he will only need to make room for the trans.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Making a new trans tunnel is pretty easy anyway. I had to do one for the 6spd in the Camaro. I would think a driveshaft should fit the stock exhaust tunnel fine...especially with IRS where you don't have up & down dshaft movement.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube