Project: Slideways z26

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
bonecrrusher

Re: Project: Slideways z26

Post by bonecrrusher »

Nice...

I like the rack and tire machine - must be nice to not have to go to the tire shop for any work!

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z51
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Sweet setup! Couldn't find your level when you were building the tire rack? haha
Barry wrote:we are doing meth
Where do you get it now? My neighbors just got busted for a meth lab, so you must have found a new supplier...

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Got to play beretta a little the other night.

I picked up some e36 knuckles. I have some used coilovers off my e36 that I am using for mockup. They work much nicer. I can fit a 18x8+20 now with a 235/40 on it. I am happy with that.

Fit the custom tie-rod. Might need to make them longer.

The car is pretty low but I would want it this low or a little lower. Ground clearence is a pretty big convern with this steering rack. 3.5 inches at this ride height. Notice the tierod angle is pretty horiffic. Some will be fixed with bump steer spacers BUTTTTT I think I will cut the whole rack mount out again and start over.

This is a battle of hood clearence vs ride height. I won't have a cowl hood and I wont have any wheelgap over an inch or so.

I bought a TIG this week. Maybe tonight I will pull the oil pan off and see if there is any space for me to gain there...

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

A bit late...glad to see you back and working hard. Man it's hard to look at your avatar and then look at the car the way it is now.

keep'em flying!
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Ive been working on this a fair bit. I have a lot of updates and pictures but nothing very cool. Ill upload and make a post soon.

Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Okay.... Lets see where I let off.

Found these adapters to run 5/8 spherical bearings on the e36 knuckles. I will build the control arms soon

Engine coming out again. I hate the new subframe layout

Subframe and rack land right where the oil pan should be. I could leave it here and have bad ground clearence, or make a custom oil pan and move it all up

New crossmember and rack mount. Moved up 2.25 inches. Fixed hround clearence and also minimized bumpsteer spacers.

Breaking in the plasma cutting some 1/4 sheet for a new engine cradle

Bending the cradle. 1.5 .120 wall DOM left over from a cage build

These plates will be welded to the frame rails, with nuts welded to the back of them. Creating one big threaded insert esentially to mount the cradle to, along with possibly other reinforcements.

Frame drilled, nuts welded to backing plate

Cradle installed. I wanted to keep it bolt in for ease of servicablilty.

Motor mounts rev2. They use stock e46 rubber mounts. This way I can buy off the shelf aftermarket mounts and bolt them on some day

THEN I WENT OFF THE DEEP END

I am not very expereinced with aluminum. What better time to try some oil saturated cast aluminum? I prepped it really well and had decent results. 2 problem areas I will take down and re-weld. Need to finish this pan then check for leaks.

I will take some measurements to see how much capacity I lost. I will use a remote filter (big ford style) or a oil cooler to get the capacity back.

bonecrrusher

Post by bonecrrusher »

So much room in front of that 3500 - to fit in an LS.... LOL.

Fab looks good man - this thing seeing boost anytime soon?

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z51
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

This oilpan mayhem makes me want to go LS all together, but gotta stick it out to the lx9.

I will boost it, but not initially. I am building the exhaust for a turbo right from the start, that way its ready when I am ready. The car will have 100's of issues to sort out so I figure simple NA the first time around should keep it simpler.

weba

Post by weba »

I can't see how modifying an oil pan would play a significant role in this project ;)

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Plasma and tig, good stuff! I've played with both and thought about adding then to the tool collection. New cradle looks good. Smart move there to start over. Gonna be ready for ocean city?

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

woody90gtz wrote:Plasma and tig, good stuff! I've played with both and thought about adding then to the tool collection. New cradle looks good. Smart move there to start over. Gonna be ready for ocean city?
The Plasma is hands down one of the best things I ever bought. Cutting stuff is very annoying to me. This is so fast and easy.

I am really trying for ocean city. Just blew up the motor in the BMW, drifting and racing every 2 weeks, racing 24hrs of lemons in another car and traveling for work, time is flying. Well see I guess. If it makes it it wont be pretty but driveable I hope

MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

Any further updates on this beast

93 GT cammed 3500 TORSEN, headers,intake,wilwood,poly/delrin mounts, 2.5 S.S,Exhaust,dickman kits,GTUspoiler,Euro headlights-tails-mirrors-fender flares-spoiler,Intrax/Koni,91+blk interior,rr disk swap,s.s.clutch line
Sieskie

Post by Sieskie »

Still following

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

I had a few free moments last night to test fit the new oil pan. It fits the car great. Just what I wanted..... But the oil pickup tube interferes with the new sump shape. So I need to build a custom one that pulls the oil from further back.

Then I can finish up the engine mounting, new trans mounting, steering shaft.

Drifting and racing is in full swing so unfortunately beretta is back burnered again as it always is. :x

Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Oh yeah, Looks like I didnt make it to Bfest. Looked like a great time though hope you all had fun.