What taking the Beretta to the mechanic told me...

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
Trevor

What taking the Beretta to the mechanic told me...

Post by Trevor »

Here's what they said needs fixing!

Fuel PSI Regulator
Upper Intake Gaskets
Front Motor Mount
Pigtail
Dog Bone Mount
RO Brake Hose
RI Brake Hose
LO Brake Hose
LI Brake Hose
Sway Bar Link
Oil Sending Unit

Yeah... this is $500.00+ in parts... But i'm going to try to take the bill down by doing some of it myself.

Lol well it looks like I was right about something being wrong concerning fuel and oil. Considering I was getting the same mileage as my 86 Silverado 305 v8 :P. And oil was going down pretty fast :P. And I was sure there had to be problems with the motor mounts due to the fact that I could hardly back up, and going down the road the car would pull down every once and a while and i could hear a noise that just didn't sound to good!

Just thought I would let ya all know, because some of you were curious!

~Trevor

speedy

Re: What taking the Beretta to the mechanic told me...

Post by speedy »

you dont know much about cars... but thats okay, your learning. =). the motor mounts wouldnt cause it to pull or not back up, they do exactly what they sound like... hold the motor in place, your motor probably jerks hard when you put it in gear. being a 93, the top mount is fairly easy and the dog bone is very easy. the oil pressure sending unit is also an easy fix, actually its all pretty easy, but then again ive owned 5 of these cars and changed 1 of everything at some point, lol.

1991 beretta GTZ- 2.3l w41 cams, ported 086 head with a 3 angle valve job, fidanza flywheel with exedy racing clutch, 3.94fdr from and scx, so much more..
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Nothing occurs when I put it into Park, Neutral, Drive, 2nd Gear, or First that makes any audible sound. It's when I drop it into reverse, and start rolling backwards that a sound comes from the motor. Yea, I don't know that much about cars, unfortunately for 16 of my 17 years of living I was living with a parent that would hardly let me out of the house lol, let alone have a vehicle. But fortunately I am able to live a hobby I have always had, which is vehicles.

I don't want to bore you, but to get past all that, do you think that if I asked what I need to do to get something done, you could kind of guide me? My Dad is already tired of working on this car considering things keep coming up, so I may have to tackle it by myself if I don't end up having it all done at the shop. If my Dad does assist me, he may still have questions; though he is a mechanic, he hasn't done everything on a car, particularly the newer vehicles. My dad's 59, so he's used to working on things such as our 86 Silverado.

Lol I appreciate your pointing out how easy everything is to do, and I do know how to do some of these things, but lol that doesn't help me much :D.

If I could get the $1,200.00 bill knocked down that would be good.... Though I might just have them do it. I will surely lose a lot of money I could have saved by doing it myself, but it's winter here in Nebraska.... I'll update this as I find out more information. I am going to run it past the Dad considering he is assisting me in paying for this, as a very thoughtful Christmas / Early 18th Birthday present haha.

heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

Those parts would only cost maybe $200. I haven't priced them out but that's about what I'm guessing; and that's also using performance parts for things like the dogbone.

Each of those are pretty simple to tackle, if you want to try them a little at a time, one by one, just ask some questions here. You'll only learn by doing. Even if you fail at the first attempt, keep trying. Sometimes these cars take patience.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

The issue that I am currently having is the my Dad doesn't seem to have much faith in me ha ha. It's my car free and clear, considering I sold my 97 Explorer and used my money to purchase it. Though he won't let me work on it by myself. Though when I ask for assistance he blows a gasket... I'll see if I can talk him into making it a "project" for us. Considering I am really interested in mechanics, and would really like to learn more.

Thank you for being so helpful, I appreciate it! I will definitely post here if I have questions and need help with something. I will post here later on after the Dad gets off work and we talk about it.