Comparing Engine Fans, Are they really this different?

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
Beretta1234567

Comparing Engine Fans, Are they really this different?

Post by Beretta1234567 »

I have the 1988 style engine fan and the 1996 style engine fan.

I now have 2 identical 1990 Chevy Beretta's 3.1L v6 3 SPD AUTO, both have brand new radiators, hoses, thermostat, coolant.
One has the original 1988 style electric fan and the other has the 1996 style electric fan.

I rigged both vehicles up with a switch to keep the fans on/auto and I turned the fans to constant on.
I noticed that both vehicles under the same conditions, have different temperatures.

The 1996 style fan; the engines constant temp is around 3/4 or more. (A/C is off)
(Rounded off housing; mounts with 2 feet and one bolt on top).
The 1988 style fan; the engines constant temp is around 1/2 or less. (A/C is off)
(Squared off housing; Mounts with 4 bolts, 2 top & 2 bottom on corners of housing).
I swap the fans and the different temperatures stayed with the fans, RPM's are the same constant, both vehicles idle same amount, engine hoods closed.

Are the fans really that different?
Does anyone happen to know the fans RPM speeds?

I am looking into a high volume displacement pulling fan that will fit inside the 1990 Chevrolet Beretta, does anyone have any suggestions?
Would one large single fan or two smaller double fans be best?

Thanks for the information & experiences, The reason I want a better cooling fan is because when I run the A/C on my one 1990 Beretta, the engine temp goes almost all the way up to max (it is 2 mm from the red square and there is loads of hot air pouring off the vehicle), and I converted it to R-134a from R-12 and replaced everything as required, and it has the 1996 Style engine fan because I could not find a 1988 Style replacement.

My other 1990 Beretta is also converted to R-134a from R-12 the same way and it never gets near as hot, at most its temp goes up to 3/4.
I have the same amount of R-134a in both vehicles, about 2 lbs low side max pressure at exactly 1,000 RPM is 40 PSI with both vehicles under same conditions at the same time...

Koots

Re: Comparing Engine Fans, Are they really this different?

Post by Koots »

I'm gonna check out the dual fans on my 98 Malibu later. If they can kinda fit in there, they should be more than adequate to cool any engine combination.

DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

I have a 1996 rad fan straight from a Beretta in a yard up here. I think its different, but only around the motor housing; it looks flatter where it would face the engine. But I have yet to hold it side by side with my 94 or 95 to see for sure. Outside of that, I think it looked identical with the blades/supports.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

ErichZ26

Post by ErichZ26 »

I use 96 cooling fans in everything.

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26
Beretta1234567

Post by Beretta1234567 »

ErichZ26 wrote:I use 96 cooling fans in everything.
Do they cool just as good?
I want to keep using the 96 fan, mostly because it does not shake like the 88 fan, but I'm wondering if the older 88 fan cools better...

DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Honestly for cooling capacity I don't think it matters much.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

beretta

Post by beretta »

Im not sure about the fans, i have not drove my 88 since last year so i cant remember the temps it run at compared to my 96, i did have problems with my 96 running hotter then i thought it should, so i put in a 160 thermostat and my temps stay at 1/4 all the time, if im stuck in traffic and doing alot of stop and go it gets up around half and if i kick my AC on it runs the fan constant and actually cools it back off, i dont see how some people are saying with AC on it runs hotter, my 96 runs colder if i turn my AC on because it runs the fan more often.

I should edit this... i have a 180 stat.. i tryed getting the 160 but they didnt stock it and the guy at the parts desk was telling me how i have to use a 195 because my car wont run right with a lower temp i told him im pretty sure i know my car and how i want it to run give me the 180 lol.
Last edited by beretta on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beretta1234567

Post by Beretta1234567 »

I have a 96 as well and it runs cooler with A/C on. That car is always perfect so I never touch it.
My 90 however with A/C on, it keep getting hotter and hotter and wont cool off until I shut the A/C off.
My A/C pump on it is letting out a very loud wine when its on, like the pump is strainin to pump the R-134a...
Its the same as my other 90 Beretta but the other one cools properly and gets cold. And the A/C pump is quiet on the other one...

Styluss
Global Moderator

Post by Styluss »

The '96 fan is where it's at. I have had mine on my car for years and coupled with the 180* thermostat even driving in 109* weather coming home from BFest my car's temp sat just below the halfway point.

1989 GTU - The Nice Car
1989 GTU Mock - The Neglected Car
1989 Base Model - The Rally Car