Checking codes?

Frequently Asked Questions
GroVe91

Checking codes?

Post by GroVe91 »

again JCZ26 told me to do something i've never had to do before thus don't know how to do, check codes, there's probably a faq somewhere but i really dont have time right now to look for one at the chance that there isn't.. so could someone give me some detailed tips on how to check codes?

1992 Beretta -- Base -- all stock
~ 225 xxx km on car
~ 185 xxx km on engine
~ 10,xxx km on rebuilt tranny

Checking codes?

Post by Guest »

you really need a manual, it tells you how to do a lot of this stuff, most auto parts stores have them. If this car is pre 94, and I assume it is Quote BerettaGT/14ASEcerts
Master Car Technician

Group: Moderator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When posting in this section please include year, model, engine, trans, mileage, and a detailed description of the problem. Also please follow through with the post. IF you find the problem on your own or on the advice of other Bnetters please let us know exactly what the cure was so that others may benefit from your post. Also in your topic title please decribe the problem, in the topic description please include the model, engine and trans--then in your post describe the problem in detail as best you can. This will make it easier for all of us. As always please try to use proper grammer and follow board rules. Thanks for your anticipated cooperation. I posted a topic as an example for all to follow. ÂÂÂ

Refer to the black plug to the lt side of the steering column under the dash..... there are 2 tiny leters on it..."A" & "B". using a paper clip bent in a "U" shapestick each end in those two holes. AND quoting from the book now..."once the terminals "A" & "B" are connected, the ignition is turned to the "on" position, with the engine NOT running. At this point the "service engine soon" light should flash a code 12 three time consecutively. This should be the following sequence: "flash, pause, flash-flash, long pause, flash, pause, flash-flash, long pause,flash, pause, flash-flash." Code 12 indicates that the ECM's diagnostic system is operating properly. With the terminals still jumped, and after a long pause the next sequence of flashes should begin indicating the code present, and should sequence three times consecutively." Meaning if a a code 44 was present for a "lean O2 sensor" it would do the code 12 as described above, pause, then "flash-flash-flash-flash pause flash-flash-flash-flash, then long pause and will do it 2 more times. Code 45 for a rich O2, would be code 12 sequence of flashes, followed by (45) as in "flash-flash-flash-flash, pause,    flash-flash-flash-flash-flash. then repeats two more times. 4 flashes for the number 4, followed by five flashes for the number 5. Then you go to the diag section, and find Chris's topic "TROUBLE CODES" and look to see what code you have and the answer to what it signifies.

Checking codes?

Post by Guest »

FAQ  

Checking codes?

Post by Guest »

closed---moved to Faq