Heater Core Replacement

Frequently Asked Questions
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Heater Core Replacement

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Write up Done by Al Nilla On Bstuff.com

Ok there have been a lot of questions about this and I just had recently done this and decided to take some pictures for all of you guys out there. On a scale from one to 10 I would give it a 7 just because of the odd positions that you have to be in to get the bolts but I will show you where all the bolts are at. The very first thing that you need to do is drain all of your coolant. To do that open up the plug that is on the bottom right hand corner (driver side) open that up and let the coolant drain. After that you should do (or I did anyway) Remove both of your front seats to give you room to lay down. Click here for my write up on that Seat Removal Ok now that you have that extra room take out the glove box (you don't have to do it) but it doesn't give you more room and light to work with and it only takes a minute so I would recommend doing that. It has four screws in it. And the picture shows where they are at.
NewPicture.PNG
Next take out the panels that are underneath the driver side and passenger side. On the driver side you need to take 3 screws out that are Philips head. And then on the bottom you need to take out 3 more screws after that is loose the bottom piece you need to pull that straight out towards you because of the rod/bolt that the piece goes through. On the passenger side there are 3 or 4 screws I am not sure but that side has the same rod on the other side so pull that straight out also.

Once you have them panels out you will see a big black box yes the heater core is in that. But to get to the core there are 2 boxes that you need to take off first. Here is a picture of the first box. I did not take a picture of it up in there because of the lack of light and you wouldn't be able to see all the screw holes but anyway here is it out. This is the only place where the screws are at on the top of the box. You will see two clips that are right about you radio/cd player. You need to pull the clips out and push the box down. After you have that box loose you have to disconnect it from the rear heating if installed. To do that jut lift on it in the back and move it around until it comes off. ALL OF THESE SCREWS ARE 7mm
NewPicture1.PNG
Here is a picture of where the clips are located
NewPicture2.PNG
I would take out the bottom havc controls there are 3 bolts on there and then unplug the vac lines from it. (7/32 are the screws in the havc) After that I would take out the cd player out and all the harnesses you want to get out of the way so you have room to work. Next you will have to pull off the vent tubes now these are on there pretty good due to the nipple that they are connected on. I really don't have a real method of taking them just need to pull them off. Here is a picture of the tube. I also cracked the one tube but don't worry there is plenty tube left to cut it off and put it back on again.
NewPicture3.PNG
Ok after you have that box out which is probably the most difficult part being that it's the first one you have to tackle the second box. Here is a picture showing where all the screw holes are at.
NewPicture4.PNG
You need to to some turning on that box to unlock it also if you rotate it out by the passenger side that will unlock it if it doesnt go just keep on doing it until it comes out now once you get that box off you will be able to see the heater core.
The box will look like this. And there are four screws that are holding in the heater core.
NewPicture5.PNG
There are two straps that are holding the heater core in one on the top and one on the bottom. To get the heater core out just unscrew them and them drop it down.
NewPicture6.PNG
Ok that how you get to the core and remove it. You will have to unclamp the hoses from the back of the engine. If you look at the dead center of the engine by the firewall you will see the two hoses coming into the car. You will see clamps them on them. Use pliers to get them off if you can't get them off cut them off and ordered new ones they were around 10 bucks for one around 20 total. Then pull the hoses into the car.

Putting it back together should be easy for you now just reverse the steps.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: Heater Core Replacement

Post by 3X00-Modified »

If you have to do the evaporator core keep on going.

Ok there are 3 or 4 screws for the evaporator core. There are two right above where the heater core just came out. There is one in the middle of the pipes that come out of the core. Now that plastic mixing piece should drop right down. Here is a picture of the bracket the holds the core up there are screw screws on that and then the core will drop right down.

Remember YOU HAVE TO DISCHARGE THE SYSTEM BEFORE TAKING ANY OF THE A/C PARTS OUT. IF NOT YOU WILL GET HURT.
NewPicture7.PNG
886cbdb341677e7fa696df8a7fe43b57.jpg

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Rex 2.0
Global Moderator

Post by Rex 2.0 »

One correction. These two bolts come off with the prior piece. So make sure when you are putting it back together you don't put these in or the other piece will not go on.
corrected.PNG

92 GTZ TURBO <-- Rex Mobile
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

LOL, aparently you just did yours... :)

I just bought mine last week. I don't want to have what happened to you happen to me... to my knowledge mine is still factory too.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"