My serpetine belt, what if it breaks?

Frequently Asked Questions

Post by Guest »

My serpetine belt is getting worse and worse, lets say I was driving my car, and the belt broke, will I just lose all power or will it completely jack up my whole engine? I have heard with some cars it ruins the entire shiznit, and I've also heard that I'd just lose all power.

Post by Guest »

You'd lose all of your power. No power steering, alternator or water pump. The belt would have to be a timing belt for it to ruin the engine when it broke. On our cars its just an accessories belt, on say a Prelude its a timing belt.

Post by Guest »

Quote (95BerettaFloMast @ Mar. 01 2003,01:36)My serpetine belt is getting worse and worse, lets say I was driving my car, and the belt broke, will I just lose all power or will it completely jack up my whole engine? I have heard with some cars it ruins the entire shiznit, and I've also heard that I'd just lose all power.
So if you know it's bad, why not just replace it? Is it worth overheating and ruining the engine for a 28 dollar belt? That's like going to a drag strip, and racing with the steel belt on a front tire showing...... is it worth the risk?

Post by Guest »

Well, I was told it would cost somewhere around $200 to get it replaced and installed, and thats why I haven't gone out and had it done, cause of my lack of money at this time.

Post by Guest »

If they quoted you $200 they are either trying hard to really rip you off or else they are giving you a quote for the timing chain, which is entirely different.

Replacing the serpentine belt on most of our cars is easy.  Where are you located?  Maybe a member can come over and do it for you.

Post by Guest »

It IS a pain in the ### on 3100s though compared to 3.1.

Post by Guest »

Gte a new belt at autozone for $15 bucks. To put it on, follow the picture under the hood. route the whole thing except for the tensioner pulley. Get a breaker bar and the right socket to fit the head of the bolt on the tensioner arm, torque the tensioner back and slip it on. It took me 15 min to do the first time back when I was like 14 or 15. I think youll be able to handle it. Dont pay someone to do sometrhing that you are capable of doing, ever. Well, unless you have extra cash or are too lazy.!!

Post by Guest »

when my belt fell off (yes it just fell off!) ran into snow bank. i drove about a mile and only realized something was wrong when i tried to steer and it was damn near impossible. it caused my water pump to go out. so get it changed asap!!!!!

Post by Guest »

Alright thanks guys. I'm gonna go asap to get a belt, then try and see if I can figure it out from there, wish me luck!

cold_pyro

Post by cold_pyro »

Umm..  I think you have to take the engine off the mounts to put a belt on a 3100, don't you, because it the belt runs around one of the mounts??

Post by Guest »

are you serious??? That sucks man, have fun with that one....

Post by Guest »

Quote (cold_pyro @ Mar. 02 2003,12:48)Umm..  I think you have to take the engine off the mounts to put a belt on a 3100, don't you, because it the belt runs around one of the mounts??
Yep thats correct.

Post by Guest »

it's not that bad taking off the mounts...babies..

cold_pyro

Post by cold_pyro »

Nah, not too bad, but I wouldn't wanna do it in my driveway..  I'm afraid I'd drop it and cause an even bigger problem..  I'm pretty sure all you'd have to do is take it off that one mount and then push the engine back with a crowbar or a jack to get it out of the way..  Just letting him know what he's getting into before he tears it apart..  What was GM thinking?!?!

Post by Guest »

If I got it done how much do you think it would cost? Cause taking off engine mounts is something I have no idea about...
I rather pay someone to do it, then try and do it myself and royally f something up.