Radiator fan

Frequently Asked Questions

Radiator fan

Post by Guest »

How ofter should the radiator fan turn on while idling in warm weather, thanks.

z284pwr

Radiator fan

Post by z284pwr »

Usually once it gets to about 3/4 or so if I remember, that's about how long it takes for mine way to hot for me, you can rig up a Fan toggle switch so you can turn it on when you want, works gravey for idle and stop/go/stop driving or when your just sitting there in traffic.  The really nice thing that would be to do is to get 2 fans and hook one up to the normal wiring and then just wire another one just to a switch for dual running, or maybe for a FMIC

Brian Edwards
'73 Trans Am - 455/Auto
'79 Suburban - 454/Auto
'88 Beretta GT - 3.1/5spd
'90 Beretta Indy - 3.1/Auto
'90 TGP - 3.2 Turbo/Auto
'04 TSX - 2.4/Auto

Radiator fan

Post by Guest »

My radiator fan does not seem to come on at all, coolant does flow when the temperature sensor reaches 45%.

I was waiting for a friend at an airport for 15 minutes and saw steam comming out of the hood, also saw that the temp sensor was at 65%.  Apparantly the upper radiator hose had a small leak, and superheated coolant was spraying over some metal parts and becomming steam.
Its scary waiting at a traffic light and watching the temperature slowly rise.....lucky Im not in a big city, so no long traffic jams.
I've tried looking under the hood many times, and never once saw the fan spinning.

I'm replacing the hose, but I dont know how to test the radiator fan, or where to locate the fuse.

Any help would be nice.
thanks

Radiator fan

Post by Guest »

Update:
It was my coolant temp sensor, replaced for $9

Radiator fan

Post by Guest »

I have a 1988 Chevrolet Beretta GT.   With the air conditioner off the radiator comes on at 227 degrees F and shuts off at 208 degrees F.  Is this correct or is it too hot?

Radiator fan

Post by Guest »

Coolant starts flowing depending on the thermostat you have. I think 185F (may be 195) is what a stock thermostat opens at.
The fan should turn on just as the temperature crosses the 50% mark

96BlackRoseZ26

Radiator fan

Post by 96BlackRoseZ26 »

My 96 3100 fan comes on just before the 1/2 way mark.

Have you ever felt like you were flying, but didn't have wings?

Jerry Bickley
02 Navy Blue Metallic Monte Carlo SS
3800 V6/4-Speed Auto

Radiator fan

Post by Guest »

Greetings...

I'm having a similar problem with my 88 GT (2.8MFI) w/AC (I've only had the car for about a month, so I'm still trying to figure everything out about it).

The Coolant Temp sensor was supposedly replaced (it looks shiny & I found an old one in the trunk).

What about the Fan relay? Could it be bad? Where do I find it? (Chiltoon's doesn't say or show... grrr).

Thanks for any help

Fritz62

[EDIT]: Aug 2:  Never mind... the fan came on (and we could tell this time) so it looks like everything is well.

Have a great day