Trying to replace the heater core

Frequently Asked Questions

Post by Guest »

I am trying to replace the heater core in a 92 beretta gt 3.1 with a/c.  I got the heater hoses off, the radio removed, and both under dash pannels off.  I am having problems removing the two ducts on each side of the heater box.  I cannot get these things off.  need some help here.

Post by Guest »

The hoses up top an the sides? Use a big screw driver to pry the edge of the hose away from the cover panel that they are on, and pull on the hoses, you should have done this before taking that panel off. Why did you remove the radio? It's not in the way.

GroVe91

Post by GroVe91 »

Yah I was wondering about the radio myself..
All I removed was the black panel by the passenger sides feet, and the glove box, I didn't run into and problems.

1992 Beretta -- Base -- all stock
~ 225 xxx km on car
~ 185 xxx km on engine
~ 10,xxx km on rebuilt tranny

Post by Guest »

I removed the radio because the chilton manual told me to   .  Yes, the hoses on the top and to the sides.  It looks like there are two clips behind the radio, two 8mm screws, and the two duct hoses holding on the lower heater box cover.  Wondering if i am missing anything to get this thing off.  Thanks

spacecadetz26

Post by spacecadetz26 »

there is a hidden screw near the bottom in the middle. and all the screws holding the cover in place are 7mm. just about everyone that removes the cover breaks it. so i would have a spare handy or some epoxy to fix it.

Steph
94 Camaro B4C Special Service Package

Post by Guest »

I got the two duct hoses off, the two clips behind the radio bent out of the way, and removed two screws.  The passenger side is loose as heck, the drivers side will not come down.  I can't find anymore screws that are holding it on.

Post by Guest »

THERE ARE 2 RECESSED AREAS one in the centerish area, and one near the cowl/floor, also kinda toward the middle. if you BENT those clips, you screwed yourself! they are spring clips that hold the top (for the defroster) difusor in place, once bent good luck keeping it from rattling and squeaking! You didn't even need to touch that anyway. The difusor cover that has the 2 hoses on it, has 2 screws, and if the car has heat vents under the front seats to give hot air to the back, then the difusor also has square tubes on the end which plug into the plastic tunnel that goes on either side of the shifter hump. In other words, you need to do some gentle twisting and pulling to get the first panel off. The other cover has a total of 8 screws......3 on each side, it has one in a depression center/left, the other in a depression center/right. These screws may be 5.5mm heads on them

Post by Guest »

ok i got the difuser off, I just moved the clips with the scew driver to release the lower cover.  I got both covers and the heater core out finally.  It was a B*tch but finally got it out.  I did crack the lower cover where the drain goes out.  I will to epoxy the crack to make sure no leeks are there.  The core was leeking badly from the lower tank where the two hoses are.  Thanks for all the help.  I'd buy you all a beer if you were here  

spacecadetz26

Post by spacecadetz26 »

Quote (JCZ26 @ Nov. 07 2003,18:24)THERE ARE 2 RECESSED AREAS one in the centerish area, and one near the cowl/floor, also kinda toward the middle. if you BENT those clips, you screwed yourself! they are spring clips that hold the top (for the defroster) difusor in place, once bent good luck keeping it from rattling and squeaking! You didn't even need to touch that anyway. The difusor cover that has the 2 hoses on it, has 2 screws, and if the car has heat vents under the front seats to give hot air to the back, then the difusor also has square tubes on the end which plug into the plastic tunnel that goes on either side of the shifter hump. In other words, you need to do some gentle twisting and pulling to get the first panel off. The other cover has a total of 8 screws......3 on each side, it has one in a depression center/left, the other in a depression center/right. These screws may be 5.5mm heads on them
John is the Beretta master!
I think when I need my heater core changed I'm gonna call him up for tech support. The only time I ever took one of those covers off was when I had pulled a dash. Its much easier with the dash out..  

Steph
94 Camaro B4C Special Service Package