My car is leaking water

Frequently Asked Questions
oldadmin

My car is leaking water

Post by oldadmin »

90_Black_GTZ

My car is leaking water

Post by 90_Black_GTZ »

My car has leaked before, so when I had some bodywork done, I asked them to do some sealing.  That worked for a few years, then it has started to leak again.  I pulled out the air inlet screen and saw that the silicone had started to get brittle and water was obviously getting under it.  I pulled all the old stuff out and noticed that they had sealed the waste flap that dumps out the water that fills up that area under the air inlet screen.  I am ASSUMING that this is a bad thing, that this should be able to dump that water out of there so it doesn't stay in there.  I'd like some opinions though.  Is it common to seal that completely up, or did the body shop do a bad thing?

90 Black GTZ (I am the original owner since May 5, 1990)
187,000 miles

My car is leaking water

Post by Guest »

is yours leaking in the drivers side?
because mine is and if this is the key i would be very greatful!!

My car is leaking water

Post by Guest »

uhm, you need those flaps open. that's the only way water gets out of that area!
89' mine was and it's a 94. I put the front up on jack stands, and crawled under it. Look for a seam that runs up along the firewall to kind of under the steering rack the seam kind of sticks out. Also pull back your carpet up front and you should see a small slit where dirt and water is coming in from there. I smeared some selant on the outside of the firewall and since then, I no longer have puddles on my drivers side carpet. Yours might be else where but this was where mine was.

My car is leaking water

Post by Guest »

I am fixing mine and I had to rip out ALL of the interior. I've got a '91 GTZ and the water was coming in from 3 different spots. 2 spots on drivers side and 1 on passenger side. It isn't that hard to fix though, im just ordering a new carpet because the water made the carpet really nasty and stained. Ill take some pics to show you where i had to patch it up.

My car is leaking water

Post by Guest »

I recently purchased an '87 Beretta.  Everytime it rains, the rear passenger floorboard is soaked with water.  This happens even if the car isn't driven, leading me to belive that the leak is not from underneath the car.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I have sprayed water around the door and trunk lid, but can't seem to reproduce the problem to find out where it is coming from.  Any help would be great.

My car is leaking water

Post by Guest »

Ok, That was the same problem I had with mine. The water on mine actually was coming in from the front, not the back. I thought my sunroof was leaking. The water comes in the front and because of the car shape, it rolls to the back and creates a puddle. If you take out your front floormats, you should be able to feel that its damp/wet. Does it happen on both back floorboards or does the other one get a little wet? Ive got some pics of what you should try to patch. Ill post them in about an hour. Im gonna go outside and take them now.

My car is leaking water

Post by Guest »

The water comes in through cracks in the dryrotted factory caulk. I have pics of both the Drivers side and Pass. side. Your drivers side might even be leaking. Even if your drivers side doesnt leak, check for cracks. I got the 50 Year Caulk to patch up the cracks. I got brown cause its easy to see. You wont see the caulk when you put the covers back on anyways. Scrape all the loose cracked caulk off and then rinse out that whole area getting all of the debris out. Then Look at these pics. I hope this helps. 1st Pic 2nd Pic 3rd Pic 4th Pic Last Pic

My car is leaking water

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the reply SilverIce37, but I was unable to open the files.  The Geocity site said that page was unavailable.  If you would, you could email me the files directly to rgillogly@excite.com or see if you have the same problem with the links.  Thanks again for the help.

pipes0069

My car is leaking water

Post by pipes0069 »

Here's the pics:

Kevin Adams
pipes0069@verizon.net
My Page!!!
93 3.1L 16.53 @ 81.47MPH