How do you bleed a slave cylinder

Frequently Asked Questions
Quad4_72

Post by Quad4_72 »

I need to replace the slave cylinder on my GTZ but I don't know how to bleed it.  There is no bleed screw and I tried pumping it while looking into the resevoir to see if there were any bubbles coming up but that didn't seem to work.  After I did that I put the slave back on and started the car.  It goes into gear and the wheels will spin but when I push the clutch in it won't disengage.  The wheels just keep on spinnin. I still think that it needs to be bled but I don't know how.  Any suggestions?

Dan Hutson                                                                       1990 GTZ

Mods: Stage 3 spec clutch, 8lb billet aluminum flywheel, glasspack, milled head

FOR SALE

Post by Guest »

There shoudl have been another line coming out of the slave cyl with a bleeder screw attached to it. IF not it is a PITA!

NewNann

Post by NewNann »

There's no bleeder screw on the slave, I've been doing this installing, failing, taking apart etc.. for the better part of 3 weeks. The directions I got with my new slave cylinder go like this:

EXTERNAL CLUTCH SLAVE CYLINDERS
WITHOUT BLEEDER SCREWS
Push the rod in and disconnect both retaining bands of the retaining strap, relaese the push rod and allow it to fully extend. DO NOT CUT OR DISGARD RETAINING STRAP (my .2: if you've already enganged the clutch the retaining straps are probably gone, but maybe not) Tip the slave cylinder up at approximately 45 degrees and pour clutch hydraulic fluid or DOT3 brake fluid into the hydraulic port until all air has been expelled.  With the slave cylinder still tipped up instert clutch hydraulics tube. (Replace the seal and lubricate with fluid first) Insert retaining pin. With the master cylinder resevior cap removed slowly push rod in and connect retaining strap. The slave is now ready to be installed.

I tried it this way with the master in the car, using a bleeder gun to draw fluid from the resevior through the master and the tube and had a hard time getting the the tube into the slave. So i've been doing it with both pieces out on my work bench with the bench press holding the master and home made resevior, I bled the slave like it says above and used the bleeder gun to do the same thing i was trying in the car. Connected them and installed connected. Its tight but if you drop the slave down into where the A/C condenser hangs out you can thread the master in through the wires where the throtle/cruise control vaccum thing would be. If you don't have a vaccum bleeder gun I don't think its possible. Erich can probably explain it way better. I hope anything i said can help.

-Ryan          B Net Member #43..
2012 GTI

Post by Guest »

Moved!