sensor in the intake

Archived topics from the Intakes Forum

sensor in the intake

Post by Guest »

if i was to add a cone filter to my existing hose on my intake, what should i do with the sensor(dont really know the name of it.) i cant just leave it hang because it will tell the car that it isnt getting air.

Chris88CL

sensor in the intake

Post by Chris88CL »

Ok judging by your name I guess its a 2.8L V6.
You can just let it hang if you want.  Its just a temperature sensor.  Doesnt measure the air flow.  If your car was an 88 then you would have a MAF sensor and you would have to incorporate that into your intake but the IAT sensor (on 89's) can just be left.  Most people lengthen the wiring and route it to somewhere with some cold air.  Whether or not theres any noticable gains is beyond me.

Chris
AIM: Chris88CL
lezarch@hotmail.com

sensor in the intake

Post by Guest »

If you move it somewhere cooler your car will run more rich. That may help performace but it will hurt gas milage. If you could I would just tap your intake and put it in there.

sensor in the intake

Post by Guest »

Even with moving it to a "cooler" place, the drop in temperature shouldn't be enough to really affect the fuel curve at all. Its sorta like the whole resistor in its place kind of thing... put a resistor equal to a temp of, lets say, 40-deg, in there instead of the thermistor (ie, the sensor) and your car will always think its 40-deg. Well, the only thing I have seen this do is make the car run like crap. So, as long as the sensor isn't sitting right next to the engine or exhaust, you shouldn't really notice any difference if it is just hanging. But like Eric said, just drill a hole or whatever into the tubing and slide the sensor in there. Silicon it up to keep it from falling out, and you should be fine.

sensor in the intake

Post by Guest »

or do wut i did i put the sensor inside the air filter itself at least i dont get a puff of blacksmoke behind me everytime i smoke a civic

sensor in the intake

Post by Guest »

I am against the relocating of your IAT for one reason, it must be in the direct path of the air flow. You move it, it will send mixed messages to your computer thus your fuel delivery will be all screwed up. I tried it and the car ran like crap. Put it in the direct path of the intake by making a hole that will fit the sensor.

sensor in the intake

Post by Guest »

Quote (tazmision89 @ Dec. 11 2001,08:34)I am against the relocating of your IAT for one reason, it must be in the direct path of the air flow. You move it, it will send mixed messages to your computer thus your fuel delivery will be all screwed up. I tried it and the car ran like crap. Put it in the direct path of the intake by making a hole that will fit the sensor.
now when i put the sensor in the path of the intake, do i place it in the filter or in the stock intake tubing?

sensor in the intake

Post by Guest »

Drill the hold in the tubing. Closest to the filter.

sensor in the intake

Post by Guest »

Wouldn't one want the most accurate reading possible which would be somewhere just before the throttle body??

Dan

sensor in the intake

Post by Guest »

if you have considerable mods you will definitely fell the difference!   If i have my intake sensor in then the car gives the impression that something is holding it back when i take it out of the intake tract and just lay it in the hole behind the battery the car pulls like mad!  I am not sure how much difference the 2.8L are but in my 95 2.2L it makes a heck of a difference.

sensor in the intake

Post by Guest »

I thought that the IAT sensor worked like this:
It has a temp sensor, and a small self heater. The heater will be hot and heat up the temp sensor if not a lot of air is moving. But if there is a lot of air moving it will "cool" it and not allow it to heat up the temp sensor as much and the computer reads that as a lot of air is being sucked in.. For that reason I suggest keeping it in the intake pipe going to the throttle body.

sensor in the intake

Post by Guest »

Quote I thought that the IAT sensor worked like this:
It has a temp sensor, and a small self heater. The heater will be hot and heat up the temp sensor if not a lot of air is moving. But if there is a lot of air moving it will "cool" it and not allow it to heat up the temp sensor as much and the computer reads that as a lot of air is being sucked in.. For that reason I suggest keeping it in the intake pipe going to the throttle body.

it only has 2 wires, how could it have a heater.

mcgavinz26

sensor in the intake

Post by mcgavinz26 »

Jason's right, its not heated.  The O2 sensor is heated.  You could look at a wiring diagram and it would explain that to you.  My O2 sensor is heated, not all.  There's 1, 2, 3, and 4 wire O2 sensors.  With only the 3 and 4 wire ones being heated sensors

http://www.speedlimit88.com
1994 Z26 - 3400, 5spd, supercharged, propane, megasquirt - RIP
1988 Fiero GT - 5psd, LX9, M90, Megasquirt
1999 Buick Regal GS -daily driver

sensor in the intake

Post by Guest »

Quote (IsaacHayes @ Dec. 29 2001,6:02)I thought that the IAT sensor worked like this:
It just sees how dense the air is. It works in cobination with the MAP. On mine it is in the Manafold but im sure its where ever the computer is programed to have it. Or it could be to delay the EGR valve im not really sure what it is for on your car.

sensor in the intake

Post by Guest »

After reading the Hayes Repair Manual, my take on the IAT (MAT in '90 or earlier) is that it is a resistor that when the temp changes, the voltage going through it changes as well.  The ECM directly senses the voltage change and sends a signal to delay the EGR until the IAT gets to 40ºF.

My 2 cents.