Bored tbs and obd ii

Archived topics from the Intakes Forum
Canada

Bored tbs and obd ii

Post by Canada »

Any of you OBD II guys installed a larger throttle body? I'm just curious if the computer went ape-#### with the added diameter or not.

I think I'm goning to go with a 56 mm, I don't think the next step up (61 I think) isn't worth the extra $100. I plan on get atleast the upper intake ported, maybe the lower one to. I don't think I can switch the lower manifold myself, due to the lack of a good shop to use. So I'd have to get it done by a shop, which costs more money. How many hours would it take a good shop to swap them?

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD
-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS
-1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta
Chris88CL

Bored tbs and obd ii

Post by Chris88CL »

You shouldnt have a problem with the increased throttle body size as long as the TB you buy has spots for all the sensors (IAC, TPS etc).

Chris
AIM: Chris88CL
lezarch@hotmail.com

Canada

Bored tbs and obd ii

Post by Canada »

On the 3100, is there any difference between the OBD I throttle body and the OBD II throttle body?

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD
-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS
-1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta
Nafterclifen

Bored tbs and obd ii

Post by Nafterclifen »

I believe all the sensors are the same. However, the plenum has a different EGR but you don't need to worry about that. Also, some throttle bodies have the coolant lines on the bottom and some do not. That's not a big issue though cause you can make a simple bypass hose and not have a problem.

1996 Beretta Z26
15.412 @ 88.03 MPH
Chris88CL

Bored tbs and obd ii

Post by Chris88CL »

Really?  The 3100 is like that too?  I thought it was just the quad 4.  I guess ya learn something new everyday

Chris
AIM: Chris88CL
lezarch@hotmail.com

Bored tbs and obd ii

Post by Guest »

Our 62mm TB for the 3100 does not affect the OBD 2 operation.  You may need to disconnect the battery for a night so the ECM can adjust to the extra air.  Every OBD 2 car I have worked on have been fine with the bigger TBs.

Bored tbs and obd ii

Post by Guest »

For the lower your looking at 6-8 hours. At least 400 bucks I'd say. Cheaper to do it yourself for around 60 bucks and clean and fix all the little things you come across too. A shop wouldn't do that or even gareente they connected things in the right order. They may for instance put on some part before connecting a harness, and then just pull and "stretch" the harness to connect and not put it back in the correct order. Even GM dealerships will do this. Not all but I've seen it happen.

I'm doing a HUGE write up right now on replacing the lower intake manifold gaskets and all related stuff done durring the process. I suggest you get a chiltons and take a look at my write up and see if you want to do it yourself. It's not that hard just takes time.

Bored tbs and obd ii

Post by Guest »

It only took me about 20 minutes to take the upper and lower off it isnt really hard...