Ractive heatshield filter.....

Archived topics from the Intakes Forum

Post by Guest »

Oh it won't take no time at all to get to 91. It only starts slowing down after ~98 mph. that was with 3 other people too last year. We were late going to another city to meet some chicks to go to the movies with haha

My intake system is exactly like yours except I don't have a MAF sensor. I want to get rid of the stock intake tubing cause it's ribbed. I want smooth path to the throttle. I know it may not make a big difference but if you figure every bit counts, and you've made things as free flowing as possible everywhere you can think of, it might add up enough to show a difference..

I'm proably going to use metal tubing, but then wrap it anyways to shield it from heat. So looks aren't a concern to me. I like "All go, no show" at least when it comes to what the engine looks like. I still want a good looking car.. hehe

Post by Guest »

Quote (IsaacHayes @ Mar. 03 2002,7:36)Good Guess
I'm 20 right now. I really don't care for the firebird's except the newer style with the buldging headlights, especially the WS-6 ram air nostrials. Those look mean as hell!! The Camaro's are more modest looking. I really would love to have the LS-1 alluminium block and all but I only have so much money. I can spend about 9 grand I'd say no more. There is a 96 SS black/black leather, really nice but it's auto. I could get it for 9. But I'd rather go through a personal sale than dealership. Plus the SS I'm afraid is even more insurance $$. All other dealerships have the 6 cylinder camaro/firebirds. I don't want that. It's slower than my Beretta. Plus the 6 cylders get the same mpg as the v8's (the new ones that is) the new 6's would put up a fight w/ a beretta though. I could get a 3.8 and supercharge it and get close to 300hp, but then I would also need suspension work before it's on Z28 grounds. And gas mileage would be worse than the Z28's.

I know a UPS driver and he is really into GM & performance cars. He wanted to sell me his Corvette. He told me to get a Z28 cause there's parts for them to mod them and to put my dad on the insurance and have me as a recreation driver. He said that is what he did when he was my age when he had another Corvette.. If that doesn't work out the only way I can afford the insurance would be to get a "all show" 6cyl camaro, and then find a wrecked Z28 and buy that, then sit them side beside, and just swap the whole suspension and drive line over. Then sell it to a junkyard, and then you'd have a Z28 insured as a plain 6 camaro. I really would like to have RWD and a bigger car. But certain things have to happen for that to work. (and yes I want a sporty car so don't suggest a lux car) Allthough a 96 Impala SS would be nice, I still would want it to handle as good as my Beretta and that wouldn't work.

Base to Z26 is a decent bump in insurance. I think at least 20 a month more maybe? I can't remeber. I basicly have a Z26 now minus GFX and seats with cheaper insurance. I don't care about seats though.

Images ripped from ebay auctions:
http://abacus.sj.ipixmedia.com/abc....i-1.JPG
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/382 ... ntalke.JPG
The yellow one shows how small it looks on the 3" pipe. The top shows how the filter portion looks.

Also the throttle body 56mm may flow plenty for the engine but a bigger one will flow more, even though the extra flow may not be needed, it will reduce the resistance. Get what I mean? At least I think it works that way to a point. Less work to get the same amount of air.

The places that would port them, would they do it all the way through or just about 2" in? if so then do it yourself, but if they can get all the way inside then that will help more... Else it's about as good as a gasket match.. The newer ones will work, you have to get both the lower& upper ones together though. But you will have to do something about your EGR valve. As certian years went to different ones in different places.. You will have an SES when you coast down from above 40 if the MAP sensor does not detect pressure changes when it opens the EGR vavles.. It's only an emmisions thing but does throw an annoying SES light. Mine is doing it since where the gases enter the upper plenum is clogged with carbon. I'm waiting till I take it off to unclog and clean it.
The newer style intake manifolds flow 30% more air I belive. that plus 62mm throttle, new style exhaust manifolds ported, and roller rocker heads with air filter/exhaust work would prove some great power I would imagine.
I think I'm payin abt 1800 a year for f/c on my z26 With 500/500 Deductibles, one speeding ticket shown.
I have decent corverage now tho. At first progsuckive was charging me like 2400/year for crap coverage. But I'm over 21 now I think it goes down a few dollars when you turn 21. Depends on your state too. I gotta get my address fixed on my insurance since I moved.

I was just using the 56mm for an example. If you wanna flow that much air thru the TB, the air filter will have to be able to also. Maybe you could email raactive and ask them how much air it can flow.

I think most of the ported manifolds being sold are just basically gasket matched. I don't know of anyplace that can port them completely thru but extrude hone.

HeartBeatKid

Post by HeartBeatKid »

this is my setup with the ractive K&N

gar187er

Post by gar187er »

ummmm thats pretty....ummmm i like the big red X in the box....

it aint working

--Ryan--

Mind If I use your Internet connection?? I don't like paying...Thank You!!!
HeartBeatKid

Post by HeartBeatKid »

i know you gota get the nink from right clicking it then going to properties and getting the link im sorry bout that i dont know why it wont work at all.

Post by Guest »

My friend has a 3100 retta with that Ractive cone. It looked good, but it also looked restrictive so I told him he should take the shield off and see if he can tell a difference. It worked a little. I have the bigger cone with the funnel and aluminum pipe on my 3.1, I could tell a BIG difference after putting it on, plus it has that cool "wooooohhhhhhh" tone (not sure how to spell that sound LOL) when I get on it. I recommend the bigger filter with the funnel inside. Even though it is exposed to heat, it still helps out, and it sounds wild @ 5000 rpms.

Post by Guest »

Ya I think your right. After looking at pictures of it the cone does look on the small side.

I think I will get a K&N drop in for my stock air box, so it flows better, and then mod it to have more openings w/tubes going to cold places. So it has several "snorkles" to reduce resitance but still in the box to keep the air "cold".

HeartBeatKid

Post by HeartBeatKid »

My Engine set up with Ractive K&N

Post by Guest »

I put a Ractive cone filter on my car(3100 v6) and it sucked.  Sounded like an import and it felt like it restricted air.  I lost to a same model Beretta with it on. Might of been the cone.