Removing the cat

Archived topics from the Exhaust Forum

Removing the cat

Post by Guest »

What exactly can removing the catalytic converter do? (probably the shortest question I've asked)

Removing the cat

Post by Guest »

Higher flow for the good. The exhaust may smell bad. It may violate local laws. It will not pass emissons if avalable. It will be louder (good or bad).

berettajeep

Removing the cat

Post by berettajeep »

Just removed mine a couple days ago(honeycomb pieces were broken and rattling) i noticed a big difference.i will be adding a high flow converter in the near future for emissions.
Mine became just a little louder,not much though sounds good at idle,but muffler has small rust hole,so when i accelerate it becomes louder.

beretta is gone. -sigh-

Removing the cat

Post by Guest »

So how much speed/acceleration do you gain from it?

Removing the cat

Post by Guest »

On a stock car unless you have a v-8, you will not get any more  power you might even loose sum!

GTPrix

Removing the cat

Post by GTPrix »

1-You dont lose power.

2-I know someone with a V6 Corsi that removed their cat.  They passed emissions testing with the cat gone.
I cant say that about my car, because MN doesn't have testing of any sort anymore. ÂÂÂ
(Thanks Mr. Ventura!!!  )

3-When cat-less, the car sounds badass at idle.

4-I personally noticed a significant improvement in throttle response.
When you get on the throttle, there's no lag.
It's nice.

Removing the cat

Post by Guest »

On a 4 or 6 cylinder car, the only time you will notice a gain from removing your cat is if the cat was old and starting to clog up.  If the cat is good then you will essentially notice nothing by removing it (except the sound) and probably loose some torque due to the reduced back pressure.  Your best bet is to get a high flow cat so that you don't reduce your back pressure too much yet let the engine "exhale" a lot better at the higher revs.  Infact,  if you really want to mod your exhaust then do 2.25" pipe from the manifold back and use a 2.5" high flow cat in the middle.....

RebelGT

Removing the cat

Post by RebelGT »

This belongs in exhaust  

Removing the cat

Post by Guest »

right now i just have stock piping and a cherrybomb where the muffler once was.. would it be better to take the cat off and put the cherrybomb there and then put a straight pipe were the cherrybomb was... orrrr.... put a straight pipe where the cat is and leave the cherrybomb in its spot????

Removing the cat

Post by Guest »

Don't take out the cat.....replace the downpipe and center pipe with 2.25" mandrel bent and leave the rest alone

You will NOT notice any gains from removing the cat.

Removing the cat

Post by Guest »

Hey, I bored out my cat a few days ago, I notice it is a little louder, and seems to rev quicker, i have also noticed some acceleration increase.  This is on a quad however, it needs the better flow.  So with a bored out cat, and the stock pipes, and a superturbo muffler, i think its pretty decent.  maybe even comparable to the 2.5 exhaust setup.

Matt

Removing the cat

Post by Guest »

i planed on gutin my cat and putting a pipe through it

MAD MARK

Removing the cat

Post by MAD MARK »

Quote (SLIT89GTU @ June 03 2002,12:45)i planed on gutin my cat and putting a pipe through it
Why put a pipe through it?
Why not just leave the cat off?

MAD MARK

Removing the cat

Post by Guest »

to make it look like there is a cat on it

Removing the cat

Post by Guest »

if i get one of those y-splitters for my exhaust system that you can switch back and forth from the inside of your car (saw in jcwhit) should i put it right before the cat, or after it between the muffler and cat?  This way i can open up my exhaust whenever i want to an make it completely stock as well.   something that might help the desision is that the previous owner of my car replaced the cat but with an actually smaller outlet than stock (that dumbarse).