Help! i need to find a tip!

Archived topics from the Exhaust Forum

Post by Guest »

Ok I want a tip like the Z26's... Or simalar... You know.

Dual Slant cut.
Not rolled edge..
Straight out (not upturned dtm style)

And I don't want like 1.75" dual slant cut tip.. I want the large 2.25" or 2.5" diamater at the end of the tips..

I went to everyplace in town and all they could get was big round 4" import coffecan tips. One place could get dual oval rolled edge and he said those cost $90!!! Are you kidding me? I payed 65 bucks for my stainless steel Ultraflow muffler.. I'm not gonna pay more for tips than my #### muffler!!!

Ok.. What about the monza stuff.. I know there is another manufactorer out there that has all black ones like it.. I just forgot.. And if I could find those since they aren't stainless steel would they rust out and pit in 3 months like everyone at the stores told me?

Someone help me locate tips that are like I described... That aren't painted red/yellow... And don't cost 1.3x the cost of my muffler!! If you could find some stainless steel ones that are $60 even tell me it's my birthday monday so I'll probably buy it for myself anyways... Where do you find these at?! I guess it's gonna have to be internetshopping but thats fine... I just wanna get my stuff put on!!!!

Post by Guest »

The closest thing to Z26 tips are Borla tips, the Intercooled, dual, slash-angle cut ones, they look like this:

Post by Guest »

That'll work. How much where to buy?
In fact ones that stick out more than that would be fine too. They don't have to get smaller after the 2 tips. I actually want them to stick out a little further from the bumper than what you have. Just to notice them a bit more. Something like the monza tips would work great, only without the yellow... and without the resonators....

BTW if it's just plain chrome will it rust out in 3 months like that dude said? or was he shoveling sh*t?

Post by Guest »

All Borla tips are stainless steel, they will never rust. And you can get them put out any distance (within reason) from the bumper... I kinda like how mine just barely stick out, but that is just what the guy did when he put the tips on my muffler.

I think I paid $92 total for those, which included sales tax, and overnight shipping (I needed them before I went to the shop, and I had an appointment the day after I got them). I think Summit or Jegs carries the tips, for about $80.

gar187er

Post by gar187er »

the tips i believe you are refering to that are similar to the monza tips are the terminator tips.....they are black inside....dual 2.25" or 2.5" tips.....i believe JCW carries these, as should summit......i used to have the monza tips, but sold them when i got my new setup...they should run you about 30-40....not too bad.....and they are chrome....

--Ryan--

Mind If I use your Internet connection?? I don't like paying...Thank You!!!

Post by Guest »

OK  30-40 for tips is still high compared to my muffler.. think if I got a superturbo.. the tips would for sure be higher than that hah.

but I don't think I will be spending money for that $$$$ borla tip. Do the plain chrome monza tips hold up? or will they be junked in a year?

Also if the tips come with a resonator, will it mess with my sound too much?

Also, the monza/terminator tips are most likely 15" long, can you shorten them as my muffler is 14" long of just the case and I don't want the tips sticking out 6" from my bumper...

gar187er

Post by gar187er »

no they wont junk out, just tale care of them, chrome polish and youll be fine....and they are semi long, not as long as you think, i had a ST before just like you do, and they stuck out, an inch or so, just enough to be noticed!

as far the sound, it wont touch your sound, it may quiet it just a tad, is it noticable, hardly....

--Ryan--

Post by Guest »

Dammit Geoff, your cars butt is soooo sweet

Post by Guest »

gar187er: I have an UltraFlow, not a ST.. Will it still not affect the sound?

I forget what my stock muffler is.. I think ~24" long case..
My UF is 14" + ~14" tip... hmmm... might stick out too far.. I don't know.. I'll have to think about it ..

What do you guys think about Z28 exhaut tips? You know, the black retangle type thing. I saw an Indy a long time ago with one and the exhuast was sooo exotic sounding.. I still haven't heard a car like that. I hope mine sounds like that

Or what about dual oval rolled edges?
I don't think I would like that.. I think of the Beretta's body style would go with more of an old classic muscle car type tips.. But like on something like a grand am or grandprix, I think the oval rolled tips would look better than the Beretta style Z26 tips...

Any other suggestions? I'm going for more classic muscle car looking tips than rolled modern types...

gar187er

Post by gar187er »

my bad....even still the sound is almost the same, a little louder on the UF, then the ST....so sound wont be effected.....

and the size factor, just look at the tips your thinkin of getting, and see how long they are, and take a tape measure to your muffler, and see exactly where theyll be

open this link if the pic doesnt show

that is my old ST with the monza tips....they dont stick out too bad, just enough to get noticed, and enough to be cleaned they looked pretty decent actually.....

as far the indy sound, tips have hardly any effect on how the exhaust sound....some do, but the ones your refering to are mainly just for looks....

--Ryan--

Post by Guest »

Yeah I know the tips are for looks. I'm just saying this Indy whatever it had done to it, sounded incredible. It was a nice looking girl driving it too Some glasspacked tips can make exhaust a little louder under certain situtations though..

Your stick out about as far as I was thinking of going for. But now I'm thinking about going stainless steel just because I wan't that added "flash". I want something on my car to shine and stand out... Actually I'm thinking about going with something like a single corvette dual tip. Like the new ones w/ the dual oval in a stainless steel. And have it stick out 1" or so.

gar187er: did you cut your heat shield to mount your ST? It looks awfully short compared to mine. Maybe my muffler is bigger than yours (stock vs stock)? how did you hang yours a well? & did you clamp your stuff together?

I'm thinking about going with a short corvette style tip so that my muffler (stainless steel) can be seen a little more too...

gar187er

Post by gar187er »

i just had a local place throw it on for me......i could get the P/N for you tomrrow so we could check the length on mine...it was hung in the postion as the stock muffler......and it was clamped, not welded.....

--Ryan--

Post by Guest »

Hmm. all I know is mine is really really long. It starts right after where the exhaust pipe stops being curved and goes all the way to the rear to the tip. I think it was like 28" case when I measured it.. Was your ST 14" case like my UF or longer? that might explain it..

Btw how much did it cost to get your muffler put on?

gar187er

Post by gar187er »

well i got that PN , its 17730, and i just checked it is the 14" case version......if yours is 28", that would mean its a 24" case, and 2" on each end right? thuse you could go to advance auto, and get a chrome tip there, they arent the best, but it would fit, they are nice and small....

and as far as how much it cost to get put on, for me nothing....i give this place so much money, pretty soon they will be payin me to bring my car there!!!    but a shop should do it for about $20......

--Ryan--

Post by Guest »

My Indy rumbles enough to set off car alarms now that we removed the cat and put in a 2inch straight pipe. We just bought a highflow performance muffler for it in Vegas yesterday. It has a stock muffler on it right now and it is loud without a glasspack. You guys might get a kick out of what my 13 yo daughter called a ricer in Vegas when she saw, and heard it. She called it a rice grinder....LOL.....She also laughed when we left it behind. I say if you don't have to go through smog, just remove the cat. It gives you all the sound for free.