Rotating tires

Archived topics from the Wheels and Tires Forum
BerettaSS

Rotating tires

Post by BerettaSS »

Quote (stang&2Birds @ Aug. 17 2002,11:03)NO tire manufacturer suggests tire rotation.  Some even suggest AGAINST IT!
I went and grabbed the owners manual to my Impala to verify and here is what I found...
7500k miles rotate tires
15000k miles rotate tires
22500k miles rotate tires
30000k miles rotate tires
37500k miles rotate tires
45000k miles rotate tires
52500k miles rotate tires
60000k miles rotate tires
67500k miles rotate tires

Do you see a pattern developing here?  
And for most cars its much more frequent than that. It's the most frequent maintainence proceedure that you do next to an oil and lube.

Canada

Rotating tires

Post by Canada »

Its good general maintenance to rotate your bidirectional tires every 7 to 10 thousand miles or every third oil change. And when rotating those tires use a torque wrench in the star pattern, to insure the rim is bolted on evenly and correctly. There God has spoken.

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD
-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS
-1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta
stang&2Birds

Rotating tires

Post by stang&2Birds »

I stand corrected about tire rotation.  See:
http://www.goodyeartires.com/faqs/Rotation.html

Should I rotate my tires?

Regular and proper tire rotation promotes more uniform wear for all of the tires on a vehicle. All season tires should be rotated in a "modified X" pattern, meaning only the tires being moved to the drive axle are crossed to the opposite side of the vehicle.

The remaining two tires are moved from the drive axle to the free rolling axle, remaining on the same side of the vehicle.
This method of rotation helps promote a more even and uniform treadwear pattern for all four tires.

The only exception to this would be the use of "directional" tread design tires such as our Aquatred II or some of our Eagle line high performance tires. These tires would remain on the same side of the vehicle and be rotated straight forward and straight back.

If you have a four-wheel drive vehicle, we recommend crossing both pairs of tires to their new axle positions.We recommend tire rotation at least every 6,000 miles. Four-wheel drive vehicles may require rotation even sooner such as every 4,000 miles. Check your vehicle owner's manual for the manufacturer's rotation recommendations. If no rotation period is specified, tires should be rotated every 6,000 to 8,000 miles. The first rotation is the most important. When tires are rotated, inflation pressures must be adjusted to the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations. Uneven tire wear may also be due to misalignment or mechanical problems. Many Goodyear retailers can provide expert diagnosis and repair.

Then again, there are a number of us that have directional tires with bigger tires in tha back that don't fit on the front.   That is common with Stangs, vettes, "f-bodies", Mr2's, etc.   So, we couldn't rotate if we wanted to.

Joe -- 94 Olds Achieva Quad 4 HO ; 92 Olds Achieva Quad 4 SOHC; '69 Firebird 350 ; '77 Olds Cutlass (Yes, I have *4* GM cars. ).  86 TBird & 86 Mustang GT with Cobra brakes & ABS.
FREE Pace Calculator program for running/walking/etc
BerettaSS

Rotating tires

Post by BerettaSS »

Quote (stang&2Birds @ Aug. 21 2002,10:11) Then again, there are a number of us that have directional tires with bigger tires in tha back that don't fit on the front.  That is common with Stangs, vettes, "f-bodies", Mr2's, etc.  So, we couldn't rotate if we wanted to.
Such is th ecase with my Vette.  With it you just repalce the tire when it gets in bad enough shape.

Canada

Rotating tires

Post by Canada »

Quote (BerettaSS @ Aug. 22 2002,11:49)Such is th ecase with my Vette.  With it you just repalce the tire when it gets in bad enough shape.
If you can afford the Vette, you can afford to put tires on...

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD
-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS
-1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta

Rotating tires

Post by Guest »

True true. Some guy came into my work with a vette for oil and lube. He had a nail in his sidewall. They had to get tires from the states (to Canada) and they cost $400. If it was in the tread we'd just fix it, but no. Just this Saturday, I got a car with a nail and a screw in the tread within 3 inches of eachother.

Rotating tires

Post by Guest »

yeah, i def cant afford tires for my vette, if someone wants to help me out, I would appreciate it!!

Another thing, even if you dont have directional tires, it is recomended that you pick a rotation direction and stick to it (i.e. dont change sides&#33

MAJ28

Rotating tires

Post by MAJ28 »

Why is everyone here so lazy?  Just use a standard good old fashioned tire iron?  What do you think people did without Impact Guns... jeeze.  My tires haven't gotton loose or fallen off yet.  I was wondering also why we are allowed to say "********"?

Jason

You can't right now....and this isn't the place to ask.
-Canada

> > > > >    1995 Z26 with 82k     > > > >      LG8 3100  ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒâ€šÃ‚