Restoring z26 rims

Archived topics from the Wheels and Tires Forum

Restoring z26 rims

Post by Guest »

i have the original z26 rims, and the finish is chipping off, is there anyway to make them look nice again??

Thanks

Chris88CL

Restoring z26 rims

Post by Chris88CL »

Some members have sanded off the clearcoat and polished them to a shine.  They look good when they are first done but then the wheels have no protective coating so im not sure how well it would hold up.  You would probably be able to clearcoat the wheels again after you polish them, but Im now sure how well the clear would adhere to a polished wheel.  Your best bet is to just take them to a wheel repair shop and have them fix any curb rash and refinish the wheel.  I was quoted about $50 cdn per wheel, but im going to shop around and see if I can do better.

PS: I made sure to say WHEEL and NOT rim just for you Erich.

Chris
AIM: Chris88CL
lezarch@hotmail.com

Restoring z26 rims

Post by Guest »

Well at least here in PA, i was quoted at 150$/wheel was the highest and 65$/wheel as the lowest to have them refinished and smoothed.  You could do it by hand but what you would have to do is strip the clear, polish then sand very lightly or somehow rough up the surface becuase if you dont then when you go to reclear it will have nothing to stick to.  You could do it without reclearing them but then you would have to use aluminum polish at least once every week to keep them from turning white and probably more than that during winter time.

Restoring z26 rims

Post by Guest »

Hey I just got my wheels re-clearcoated.  I stripped the old clear, cleaned up the wheel with a "lint free" cloth, and use a wet fine sandpaper to go over the aluminum.  Dry it up and spay a light layer of clear to the wheel,  give it about 5-10 minutes, and spray a thick coat on and repeat until satisfied.  I used four coats, and they are looking good.  After about a week, polish them up real nice.