2.3 tranny problems

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum
MAD MARK

2.3 tranny problems

Post by MAD MARK »

Coming out of the toll booth, shifted from 1-2 then 2-3 then 3-4. Then it stayed in 4th and could not get out of. Towed home and and looked and found out the linkage was stuck. Took rubber mallet and hit downward on the linkage. Now able to move left and right but wont go into gears. Anyone shed some light hear?

MAD MARK

2.3 tranny problems

Post by Guest »

manual? broken cable or frayed.

2.3 tranny problems

Post by Guest »

Could be the fork .

2.3 tranny problems

Post by Guest »

Quote Could be the fork I'd like that one explained me, since there no control up top, but has control at the bottom. ÂÂÂ

MAD MARK

2.3 tranny problems

Post by MAD MARK »

The thing that pops in and out is on top. The cables are up there. Its on a 2.3 90 GTZ. I was thinking it could be the fork as well. I did not see a broken or frayed cable.

MAD MARK
spacecadetz26

2.3 tranny problems

Post by spacecadetz26 »

the casing can separate from the cable, Erich's 91 had this problem. We replaced the cables and now the car shifts like butta' It didnt look like we had a broken cable.

Steph
94 Camaro B4C Special Service Package

2.3 tranny problems

Post by Guest »

Mark,
    Disconnect the the cables down by the tranny then move the trannys linkage to make sure it's the cables and not something internal.  That linkage should move up and down as well as side to side.  Look at your 92 for reference.  If it is something internal I have a tranny for that car.

MAD MARK

2.3 tranny problems

Post by MAD MARK »

Thanks, Al. The tranny does move up and down and side to side. Must be the cables then. He did drive the car home though with only 4th gear, so the clutch may be a issue also.

Its hard looking at the 92 for reference as the ABS is all in my grill.

MAD MARK

2.3 tranny problems

Post by Guest »

Quote (spacecadetz26 @ Mar. 10 2003,06:43)the casing can separate from the cable, Erich's 91 had this problem. We replaced the cables and now the car shifts like butta' It didnt look like we had a broken cable.
That was pretty much what I was saying, which was to include the "fraying" which couldn't be seen anyway, because it's happening inside the casing. Cables are usually the first thing to mess up on these things, I've really never seen a fork problem....Unless someone is jamming gears...hard.