Smoke from steering column...

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum

Post by Guest »

Does anyone have an idea as to what would cause smoke (smells of burning wires) to emanate from my '94 Z26's steering column? I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with the turn signal indicators, as I had a burned out signal bulb..which I replaced. It (the flasher) worked properly on my way to work, but on my way home that same day the smoke started to pour, and then stopped. When I got home I checked the fuse box to see if I blew a fuse...they all  looked fine..all the accessories seem to work. But when I checked the turn signals, the smoke came back instantly and the left indicator (the bulb that I changed) was functioning improperly..blinked then stopped then stayed on.

Any ideas?

Jimmy

Post by Guest »

Pop open the cover under your steering column.

Probably two wires have bad connection and start smoking when you use the blinker ... start looking there.

z284pwr

Post by z284pwr »

Turn Signal Flasher or whatever that big fuse type thing is I'm guessing.  Take the dash cover on the bottom out and reach WAY up, and you'll get that or you'll get another fuse that looks alot like it, I forget what it was.  That is how it was on my car atleast, just an idea

Brian Edwards
'73 Trans Am - 455/Auto
'79 Suburban - 454/Auto
'88 Beretta GT - 3.1/5spd
'90 Beretta Indy - 3.1/Auto
'90 TGP - 3.2 Turbo/Auto
'04 TSX - 2.4/Auto
rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

If the smoke comes out where the steering wheel attaches to the column, then I would guess turn signal switch.  You have to pull the wheel off to replace that.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Post by Guest »

yes the grease on the switch breaks down over time and will not withstand the heat generated by the current flowing through the switch. YOu will need a new switch

90_Black_GTZ

Post by 90_Black_GTZ »

I agree with all of the above.  I will also include that it could be the buzzer alarm for the "key in ignition" switch.  Mine smoked and then stopped buzzing.  In fact it would emit a little puff of smoke about once every 6-9 months for about 6 years.  I finally had a more fatal problem in the steering column and replaced the whole column and key cylinder.  Now it buzzes at me again!

90 Black GTZ (I am the original owner since May 5, 1990)
187,000 miles