Car died while on the highway

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum

Post by Guest »

I was driving home from school tonight without any problems and then evn though my foot was on the gas i started slowing down. I looked at my tach. and it was reading 00. I got the car to the side of the road and tried to start it again and it just turns over but doesn't seem to want to start. I've just recently changed my oil, oil filter, plugs, wires, and oil pump. The engine has quite a few miles on it and it has low oil pressure at the top end of the engine (worn bearings i've been told). Could this be why my car died and won't start now. I have been reading on the board and i've noticed alot of similar problems (but not exact) where the culprit was either the CPS or the fuel pump/filter? could these be the case. I'm just trying to get an idea of what my order of operations should be for diagnosing this.

As always thanks in advance for any help,

Janus

Post by Guest »

Sounds familar. If I had to guess based on what you described, I'd agree with the cps, since you didn't hear it throw a rod bearing, and the engine still turns over.

Post by Guest »

I had the stereo on, how loud would a thrown rod bearing be? Also, what if it isn't turning over and what i'm hearing is just the starter. It sounds like it normally would when you try to start it in cold weather and it doesn't want to start.

I'm going to check the CPS when i get home from school in a little while. If it checks out fine i was going to open the intake manifold and the front valve cover to see if i did something to a rocker arm or pushrod or something. would i be wasting my time with this?

Janus

spacecadetz26

Post by spacecadetz26 »

My car did the same thing one time when i was raping it. I thought i broke something turned out to be crank sensor. Its either the ignition module or the crank sensor.
Ignition module $200 crank sensor $35... both are a pita on a 2.8....

Steph
94 Camaro B4C Special Service Package

Post by Guest »

is the CPS hard to locate and/or get at? i just spent about 30 min looking for it based on some diagrams in my Chiltons and i can't find it. I've found all the other sensors/connectors that are supposed to be around the same area and i found alot of connectors that i can't locate in the diagrams. I'm gonna check the advance auto pars website for a replacement CPS and hopefully it will show me a picture of what i am supposed to be looking for.

Janus

Post by Guest »

back side of the engine kind of behind the trans mor toward the right side of the car.

Post by Guest »

so would it be more accessable from under the car?

spacecadetz26

Post by spacecadetz26 »

I think its easier from the top. you cannot see it from the bottom. I took my alternator out for better access...

Steph

Post by Guest »

ok, i'll keep that in mind. as far as it's placement vertically, is it more on the level of the pcv valve, or the vehicle speed sensor?

thanks so far spacecadetz26 and jcz26

Janus

spacecadetz26

Post by spacecadetz26 »

i think its the same on all the 60deg v6's, like in the middle of the engine block on the firewall side, closer to the passenger end. you will probably not be able to see it. just put your arm back there and feel around the engine block, maybe a mirror will help. its a pretty small sensor and the trick is its held in with a 10mm bolt... if you do find it and manage to get the bolt out, be very careful not to break that sucker, its usually very fragile from being in a very hot place most of its life. you dont want pieces of metal and plastic floating around in your oil.
anyways dont let it get the best of you, its very annoying and very difficult part to change. Good luck

Steph

Post by Guest »

thank you, i think that is all i should need to know in order to handle this. We shall find out tomorrow.  Thanks for the heads up about it being fragile and small. knowing what size the bolt is in advance is a plus as well. I have one of those little mirrors on a telescopic handle so i'll be sure to get that out and ready to go.

Just one more question, is it possible to test it to make sure it is really the problem or should i just be pretty confident that it is the problem and spend the $20 on a new sensor?

Janus

Who should go get some sleep... for tomorrow it's off to battle!!!

Post by Guest »

ok, it took me forever to find it and figure out the best method to get at it but i got at it and i got the bolt off. now it rotates in its hole but won't pull out. is it threaded? it doesn't feel like it is. my guess is just that there is a pretty tight seal between the sensor and the crankcase.

Janus

spacecadetz26

Post by spacecadetz26 »

The oring that seals it gets hard and it sticks. Also I would like to add that it is a magnet. and it will stick to the crankshaft. so odds are you will end up breaking it. what i had to do after i broke it was, the part that gets stuck in there had to be pushed into the block, the engine has to be cranked to get it to go in.
go spend the $30 on it. cheaper than buying a module...

Steph

Post by Guest »

Being a magnet would explain alot here. thanks

Janus

Post by Guest »

ok, i changed the CPS.... no luck. the car still won't start for me.  Listening to it a little bit closer it sounds like it starts to turn over then it stops and all you hear then is the starter.  I started to take the ignition control module out today but it doesn't want to come out. the were two 13mm bolts holding it in place on the top and i coldn't find any other bolts holding it in place but it wont come off of where it is mounted. It seems like there is something holding it in place on the bottom but i can't find anything. I even took the air filter assembly, the battery, and the radiator fan out to get at it better. Am i forgetting a bolt or is there some sort of trick that i don't know about?

Thanks,

Janus