Clutch problems

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum
93GTZguy

Clutch problems

Post by 93GTZguy »

ok, here's my problem...ever since about two weeks ago Ive been having to put hydraulic clutch fluid (aka brake fluid) into the clutch reservior about every two to three days, depending on how much I drive...usual symptoms of getting low is grinding when trying to put in reverse and hard to shift into or out of first gear..and usually the rest, after I refill the thing, I usually gotta pump the clutch pedal for a few minutes before I can shift in and out of all the gears smoothly, kindof lookin for some help here folks.

1993 Beretta GTZ, Quad 4, obviously a 5speed.

ErErnest - 1993 Beretta GTZ 5 Speed HO Quad 4

Slaying The Dragon

Clutch problems

Post by Guest »

look around the clutch master cylinder for fluid leaks, otherwise I would have to say your slave cylinder is giving out and would not rely on the car at all as it will totally give out very soon. If the master cylinder is dry the slave cylinder is leaking and is part of the throwout bearing--so it would be a good idea just to replace the clutch disc pressure plate, and slave cylinder since you have to remove the trans to replace the slave cylinder any way and ods are you clutch is covered in fluid from the leak. You can get an aftermarket replacement kit for under 200$

93GTZguy

Clutch problems

Post by 93GTZguy »

great...I gotta make a 200 mile trip tomorrow (one direction)...and thats gonna be running through my head the entire way there and back...

Slaying The Dragon
93GTZguy

Clutch problems

Post by 93GTZguy »

Quote (BerettaGT/14ASEcerts @ Aug. 01 2003,13:05)look around the clutch master cylinder for fluid leaks, otherwise I would have to say your slave cylinder is giving out and would not rely on the car at all as it will totally give out very soon. If the master cylinder is dry the slave cylinder is leaking and is part of the throwout bearing--so it would be a good idea just to replace the clutch disc pressure plate, and slave cylinder since you have to remove the trans to replace the slave cylinder any way and ods are you clutch is covered in fluid from the leak. You can get an aftermarket replacement kit for under 200$
wellp, problem was the clutch master cylinder, I finally had someone look at the car and that turned out to be the problem, one thing I can't figure out is after I made that 200ish mile trip and parked it, I had a LOT of brake fluid come from the underside of the car

I went to advance auto and they gave me the wrong clutch master cylinder, so it was back to the store to get the right one (and had mine in hand to inspect), sure enough the part had to be ordered, and cost $25 more than the part that I originally bought from them.  I searched all the stores and one local junkyard..(which had a totalled GTZ, but the clutch master cylinder had been ripped out).

all in all,
Brake fluid for 3 weeeks, $5.00
New Clutch master cylinder, $106.00
Getting pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt and speeding $75.00
Finding out that the officer that pulled me over, also gave me two previous speeding tickets, priceless!

Slaying The Dragon