Q4 valve cover seals and camshaft housing gaskets

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum
JOKERZ26

Post by JOKERZ26 »

I finally had a chance to check my oil and see if it was the mystery fluid leaking on the exhaust side of the engine and unfortunately it is...  My question is whether it's the valve cover seal or the Camshaft Housing Gasket do I have to take off the timing chain just to get to it? I know Redgtz and RamairGTZ have recently done cam swaps so can you guys tell me whether getting to the seals is straight forward or am I going to do some miscellaneous removing of stuff just to get to it?

Post by Guest »

Yes you'll have to remove the TChain and it's inner housing to get the cam housing off. If I were you I'd go out and get a manual, read the job through before attempting anything.

rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

Not an easy or quick task.  If this is not really a problem I would ignore it.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

JOKERZ26

Post by JOKERZ26 »

I'm not sure if it is a gasket because I noticed the Oil Pressure Switch with some oil residue and the oil trace starts arourd the Water Outlet Area.

MAD MARK

Post by MAD MARK »

I believe I have the same thing. Its not worth going into it and messing around and probably having more problems then you started off with. Just check the oil every week and make sure it is not loosing too much oil. Only then should you try this.

MAD MARK

Post by Guest »

The best thing you could do is give your engine a nice bath. Use degreaser and clean up the whole thing. Then you'll really be able to see where its coming from. If it is the oil sensor that wouldn't be a bad fix. If its the end cap seal for the cam, again not a bad fix. Other than that your looking at a fair bit of work.