Overheating

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum

Overheating

Post by Guest »

I know your problem is fixed but I also wanted to add that when I took out my engine I noticed that the coolant line that runs from my coolant fill tube to the back and hooks up to the heater core was rusted through. I've had the car for over two years and that was the first I noticed it.  Just someting you guys and girls might want to watch out for! I have a 1988 GT with a 2.8 soon to be 3.1

wicked-irocz

Overheating

Post by wicked-irocz »

normal tap water will cause more rust in the coolant, and it causes minerals to enter the mix (many if its country water), also chemicals (town water mostly) this all is 1. bad for life of cooling system components 2. not good at cooling (ie the exchange of heat).  Distilled water is pure water, no chemicals or minerals, or anything, it works better for cooling and will not harm cooling system components like tap water will, also you will not have to change coolant as often as it will stay freer of rust.

please do not use tap water in your cooling system.:D

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo

Overheating

Post by Guest »

Worked at a police garage for years we always used tap water in our cars and you know what no one is harder on a car than the police also I worked for a race team and the same there used tap water.  That is not true about tap water the variance is very small and in reality the quality is very much equal.  I dont know where you get your info but even in the GM, as well as ford, (cant speak for dodge never seen any or had one) service manual it says that distilled water is not necessary to be used.  Distilled may be better but we are talkin about splitting hairs here so I am not sure what you are getting at.  ANd thanks for the info BerettaDude. I will keep an eye on it.

wicked-irocz

Overheating

Post by wicked-irocz »

I got my info from four different mechanics, three different automotive engineers, my dad, and my common knowledge.  I have used tap once, a year later it was much worse looking than before I changed it even though the previous had been in for four years.  I will continue using distilled, you can use whatever you want.

To many mods to list

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo

Overheating

Post by Guest »

Well you are talking to an automotive engineer and I can tell you that being an Automotive Enginner will tell you nothing about the use of tap vs. distilled water.  Physics and Chemistry will alone tell you what you need to know about that.  I also am a NATEF Mechanic and I can tell you that it does not I dont know what your problem was but do not give out information built on opinions but what is fact.  And if you want to use distilled fine I never said it was not better but it IS NOT necessary and I repeat it IS NOT necessary.  THE END.

Overheating

Post by Guest »

What is this? a last word contest?

I use pre-mixed antifreeze!

now I'll probably get an a$$ chewing...

Overheating

Post by Guest »

There is nothing wrong with premixed antifreeze.  Just becarefull may want to add a little bit of just antifreeze to it eventually but no its ok.

Overheating

Post by Guest »

50/50 is best.  last word, dude

wicked-irocz

Overheating

Post by wicked-irocz »

1st automotive engineers take physics/chemistry, and there thoughts were fact, they ran the tests.
2nd Id like you to make that coolant look better cause that it also fact
3rd I said it was better, I didnt say you had to use it, I only said it was better.
4th END THE POST AS YOU WISH, I DONT CARE ANYMORE

To many mods to list

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo

Overheating

Post by Guest »

Did you not say "please do not use tap water in your cooling system."  That is where my two sense came in and Automotive Engineers barely take Chemistry not enough to understand that only required on basic Chem course so dont say that makes them experts on that the only thing pysics will tell them is the Thermodynamics part and I dont know what tests they ran to prove this.  And if you base what quality is based on what it looks like than man I hate to see what you think of oil.