Won't start

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum

Won't start

Post by Guest »

1992 Beretta GTZ Quad4 mtx.

For a while I have been getting some part throttle hesitation and the fuel gauge would have pretty wild swings when turning or on a slope.  It would go as far as a quarter tank difference. Much different than before where it would move a little, but not nearly as much.  Today I get into the car and it will not start.  Just keeps turning over, doesn't catch at all.  

I am guessing fuel pump or maybe, if there is one, an internal fuel filter.  Any help would be appreciated.

Won't start

Post by Guest »

Went to check on it again.  Fuel pump does not make any noise at all when I turn the key over.  I read that there is a fuel pump fuse somewhere in the engine bay.  Could someone inform me as to where that is located?

Help me out here, I know its supposed to be on the firewall, but for the life of me I cannot find it on there.

Eway89GT

Won't start

Post by Eway89GT »

the sending unit on my old z was in the thank, enters threw the top, but im not sure if thats correct on the GTZ

02 Grand Prix GTP Coupe: Mods:  5% tint, headlight covers, DRL switch, visors, Rims, (gotta have RWL tires), SLP Powerflo exhuast, Wizaird CAI, 3" DP w/o cat, U-bend removed , 180 thermo, 3.4 SC pulley 

Won't start

Post by Guest »

I am looking for the fuel pump fuse.  I don't believe it is located by the sending unit.  It is said to be somewhere on the firewall.

Won't start

Post by Guest »

Ok, an update.  I checked the in-car fusebox.  Fuse marked number 1 (Computer Command Control, Fuel Injector) keeps popping whenever I try to start the car.  

Someone please give me a hand with this and tell me what the hell the problem could be.

Won't start

Post by Guest »

There's a good chance your sending units wires are all crapped out and thats whats blowing your fuse. I had a Nissan pickup that did the same thing to me. When I pulled out the sending unit the wires on top were all corroded. Popped in a new one and never had the problem again.

Won't start

Post by Guest »

you have got some shorted wires somewhere on that circuit. You will have to get ahold of a wiring diagram and trace all the power out lines on that fuse to see which one is shorted to ground. I would be a wire has rubbed through somewhere...have you installed  any stereo equipment lately or neon lights or anythign where you have to drill or screw into the body where there were not holes previously?;)

Won't start

Post by Guest »

No, I haven't really done much to it.  Recently there was some exhaust work done, but only a muffler with all stock piping and the rear bumper was replaced.  That is all.  

Now, I'm kind of leaning to the whole sending unit thing cause I was having trouble with the fuel gauge as well and the hesitation.  Could those two things be indicative that there is a problem with the fuel pump/sending unit/gauge  system?  And could that particular fuse be popped by a prblem with the sending unit or fuel pump or is it simply reserved for the computer command control and fuel injectors?

Sorry for all the questions.

Won't start

Post by Guest »

Another update.  I unplugged the ECM and another silver box thats attached to the firewall of the car and the fuse still blows every time I turn the key over.  The engine does not have to turn over at all, as soon as I get the key into ACC even bypassing all that the ECM controls I get a blown fuse.

On the bright side, there was a break-in into my parkade and they tried to take my car.  SURPRISE!  It doesn't run.

Won't start

Post by Guest »

it does sound like you have a wiring problem somewhere...check for any sign of a mice nest under your hood. They like to chew wires and make nests and being that it is winter time they love the heat of an engine

Won't start

Post by Guest »

I don't like dealing with wiring problems.  Don't have the time, patience or equipment for it.  Car is going to the shop tommorow.  Thanks to all those that helped, but not much can be done in cases like these I guess unless one really gets into the car and the wiring.