Z26 automatic trans, overdrive problems

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum

Post by Guest »

Z26, 3100 , 4 speed Auto, shifts fine 1, 2, 3, won't go into overdrive, oil is fine,

when cruising at 100 km/h , and release gas , rmp drops like it did shift, press on gas and rmp goes back to 3 rd gear status

any help in diagnosis would be helpful

thanks

Post by Guest »

sounds bad like a shift valve is stuck, or 4th gear clutch pack is toast, or low fluid (doubt it), I would be willing to bet JCZ26 would be more of a help..either way it sounds bad.

wicked-irocz

Post by wicked-irocz »

Is this all the time or just one time?  I had my transmission not shift into OD once, and I was really scared that Id need a new trany.  The fluid looked like it could be a little burnt, but not much, and the level was fine.  I didnt change anything and a few days later drove it to find it shifted great.  Seams as if the only thing wrong was that the fluid got a little to hot, one of my friends owns a trany shop and said that could very well be but recomended me to change the fluid.  I will change the fluid when it warms up for sure.  Seams that driving around town with 800 lbs in a Beretta for an extended period of time isnt a good idea

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo

Post by Guest »

whats the 800lbs?

wicked-irocz

Post by wicked-irocz »

People, supplies, and a few things that accumulate in the trunk of a car.

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo

Post by Guest »

Wife drives it, Very cold here in maritimes, engine light came on and out, car sluggish for a few minutes she said, next morning light was off when she started it, I drove the car 5 days later and I noticed this problem, I took it for a few good runs since, still no shifting into overdrive, no burned smell, oil level good, a little old by the color, will change oil and filter tonite, to see if it changes, I beleive it is a stuck valve. Will keep ya posted

Post by Guest »

Quote I beleive it is a stuck valve. Doubt it, will elaborate when I have more time.

Post by Guest »

I beleive I found my problem, a stuck solenoid,

http://www.atcdg.com/TechMain.htm